IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > FloRacing Announcer
9/6/21, 6:22 PM   #31
Re: FloRacing Announcer
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I don't think he is that bad. Have actually heard worse this year.
Finally! You and I can agree on something. Your simple statement is spot on.

So sad when someone writes that they turn off the broadcast when the announcer gets something wrong eventhough they get things wrong on this board a lot.

Laporta has improved ten fold since Florida. He has taken his lumps and tried to get more informed and better. Moving to the booth was the best decision made so that he can see the track not a video screen. Maybe putting Kristi in the booth and forgetting the dumb waste of time heat race interviews would be a great compliment to Tony. It’s time to put Sullivan out to pasture. He knows all of the history and he should be telling it at the IMS museum. If they are trying to gain younger fans to keep this going a history lesson on the 20s thru 70s won’t cut it.

Klepper to his own admission made mistakes too. It’s not easy to be right all of the time. Not everyone is Scott Dalosio(sp) or Dillon Welch. Patience is a virtue.

9/6/21, 8:14 PM   #32
jonboat15

I was a big critic of TLP for some time but he has tamed it down a bit. Those guys were in Wisconsin last night and made the long drive to make the calls today so I'll give them credit for that alone. Pat and Tony must be doing something right, my wife had friends over today and they are not race fans, but every time they popped their heads into the man cave they said it sounded like I was watching quite an exciting race. it was a good race and the announcers performed their duties well.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dirt330, oppweld
9/6/21, 9:04 PM   #33
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubie48 View Post
I think he is lower than whale excrement. I turned the dog gone volume off.

Dude is a stone cold idiot
Go to another racing website for this kind of comment. Not welcome here.

4 members like this post: dirt330, Ken Bonnema, nitrofunny, oppweld
9/6/21, 9:06 PM   #34
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
This is a good point about him under exaggerating things. Battles for the lead or a charge through the field can sometimes get a monotone but someone battling for 10th and it’s shouting.

Part of it is that we hear these announcers so much more nowadays with streaming. I used to like Blake Anderson, but the never ending shout outs to people he knows watching on Flo etc make me want to gouge my eyes out. I don’t think I would have even noticed in the old days when you’d hear a traveling announcer only a few times a year.
Ever listen to Blake Anderson?

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/6/21, 9:20 PM   #35
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

Can't believe we are covering this again. Give Tony a break. Leave the personal pot shots out of it. He's improved a great deal since the start of the season. Him working with Pat has really given him a boost. Think about it....Being an announcer on the road like that is certainly not easy. There's a lot of prep and long nights associated with it.

If I was the moderator, I'd delete this insensitive post:

Originally Posted by Hubie48 View Post
I think he is lower than whale excrement. I turned the dog gone volume off.

Dude is a stone cold idiot

Go on over to 4M Hubie. You'll fit right in.

9/6/21, 9:53 PM   #36
flagboy55

Tony has, and continues to improve. If I have a criticism it’s that he feels the need to to talk constantly. I’m not a baseball guy, but I’ve heard talk of the great Vin Scully. This is by far not an exact quote, more like a vague recollection. But I remember someone saying that he said something like, sometimes you have to let the game speak for itself. Last week, think it was the support class for the Allstars out East. It was either a women or a guy with a high pitched voice calling the race. Whoever it was, I commented to my buddy, this person does a good job with the mic, they let it breath now and then. I must say, I know another person who turns the volume off for both the Allstars and USAC, but I know he doesn’t consider them excrement, just doesn’t care to be yelled at watching a race

5 members like this post: erich45, luckybuc97, oppweld, tirespinner, TQ97
9/6/21, 10:09 PM   #37
IndianaSprintFan

I wasn’t a fan in FL but the man is in a whole new universe now then he was then. If you turn off a race because of him announcing at this point in the season (or ever) you aren’t much of a fan. If you have something about him you don’t like then reach out to him. I’ve seen him have plenty of interaction with folks on social media throughout the year. It’s pretty low to bash a man behind a username on a racing forum. Grow up.

6 members like this post: 95KART, captrat, Chief Wahoo, Hustlin-Hoosier, Ken Bonnema, oppweld
9/6/21, 10:27 PM   #38
streetglider

I am not a fan of Tony’s announcing style at all. I too mute Flo when he is on the mic , as his overdramatic and screaming delivery is not for me. But after I heard him say at the Smackdown this year as cars were being pushed off , “Once the cars get heat in their engines and their brakes warmed up, we go racing folks”. I threw the towel in on him at that point.

3 members like this post: luckybuc97, PIT CART, tirespinner
9/6/21, 10:43 PM   #39
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I'm watching the USAC CRA show and this guy is pleasant. Continuously updating running order. explains who's passing who, but no yelling. Gets excited if something awesome happens
Great show.

9/7/21, 11:11 AM   #40
chrismattlin

The "Be nice" speech police around here these days is off the charts crazy. Look at yourselves- defending a grown man's honor while bashing your fellow IOWers because you don't agree with their *opinion*; telling people they shouldn't criticize *THE* voice of main series this website is pertinent to; correcting fellow users who use certain terms such as "also ran" with a brow-beating.

No wonder there is no longer actual conversation here, but instead constant, negative, whining and complaining: the "Be nice" speech police have forced everyone to keep their *opinions* to theirselves to the point where we now have mostly only results and press releases here now.

Congratulations. (At least no feelings are getting hurt, I suppose.)

6 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jdull99, rick42, RockinRy, sw1911, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > FloRacing Announcer