IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Unpaid CRA bounties
6/7/11, 11:16 PM   #31
Re: Unpaid CRA bounties
deannalynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter25 View Post
Someone still has an axe to grind with Frank Lewis, I guess......
LOL! No axes to grind. The old rivalries were fun! I'm curious about facts, though and you guys are awesome with that (mostly,lol)! Tradition and history (legends, myths, facts, superstitions, rivalries) make this sport greater as the years go by. What made me so interested recently was that I read a post on another forum about the bounty Bernard has announced for the Vegas Indycar race. The person posting made a comment that Bernard was turning racing into a circus, as if he was doing something that had never been done, diminishing the sport and that 'pure racing' could only be found in sprint or midgets. I was disappointed that the seemingly knowledgeable poster had either forgotten, hadn't experienced, or never heard about this truly awesome piece of American Sprint Car Racing history...... the bounties won! I'm not gonna be the one to enlighten her though. If she thinks it's pure...... well maybe ignorance is bliss and I'll let her keep thinking that. We never cheat, sheer talent alone gets you to the big tracks, and everybody holds hands and sings kuumbayah.

Last edited by deannalynn; 6/8/11 at 12:43 AM.

1 member likes this post: Ken Bonnema
6/7/11, 11:31 PM   #32
racin jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Briscoe View Post
My dad won at Lawrenceburg in 93. Was wondering if anyone had a video of that one.
I would also like to see if anyone has a video of this race? I would gladly pay for a copy of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post:
6/8/11, 12:06 AM   #33
johnnythunderhead

as i recall i don't think a cra, or usac regular won any of em i'm thinkin the bonus revolved around a lloyds of london policy, n i'm certain the underwriters had no idea what they were gettin into and were not too amused

6/8/11, 12:42 AM   #34
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Briscoe View Post
My dad won at Lawrenceburg in 93. Was wondering if anyone had a video of that one.
Chase thats what I was thinking but was unsure of the year

6/8/11, 2:03 PM   #35
treecitytornado

Randy Kinser took the bonus money in the early nineties. I think he was in the 1x car. Don't know if he ever got the bonus money for sure though?
Posted via Mobile Device

6/8/11, 5:35 PM   #36
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I missed the first tour but hit about three races in the following two. I FLAT OUT LOVED IT. About 12-15 West coasters came in and tried to rule IN-OH although they raced their way here and back starting in Kansas

Rusty McClure one year drove a yellow car with some sort of bolt on downtube about halfway up the cage.

Lenard Lee, Rip, Billy Boat, Leland, Remember Hewitts monster slide on McSpadden at Eldora? Seen one at Union County that Frankie Kerr ran, Who ran shows NW that didn't conflict with All stars.

Haudenschild Flipping down the backstraight while leading at Eldora. in the Kodiak Car.

To me it was a NW Sprint Car hell month like UMP has. Some guys ran out of equiptment

The best ran against the best, Something Sprint week has only touched on with sometimes four or five SCRA attending.

6/8/11, 6:05 PM   #37
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Don't forget about the cra tour of '85. I have a VHS of the ESPN broadcast from Terre Haute co-sanctioned by USAC. Pretty sure cra also ran Putnamville that year among other places. They deserve a lot of credit for reviving non-wing sprint car racing in the very early 90's in the midwest including Indiana. Non-wing sprints were almost dead at this time when most Indiana tracks went to wings and even USAC had to book winged races to fill out their schedule. Also, T.H.A.T was closed from '88-mid'90. Those first few tours in '89, '90, '91 brought close to 30 cars out from California each year and they showed the midwest boys how its really done. Those tours directly led to more non-wing racing here and thank god for that!

6/8/11, 8:10 PM   #38
CRA91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I missed the first tour but hit about three races in the following two. I FLAT OUT LOVED IT. About 12-15 West coasters came in and tried to rule IN-OH although they raced their way here and back starting in Kansas

Rusty McClure one year drove a yellow car with some sort of bolt on downtube about halfway up the cage.

Lenard Lee, Rip, Billy Boat, Leland, Remember Hewitts monster slide on McSpadden at Eldora? Seen one at Union County that Frankie Kerr ran, Who ran shows NW that didn't conflict with All stars.

Haudenschild Flipping down the backstraight while leading at Eldora. in the Kodiak Car.

To me it was a NW Sprint Car hell month like UMP has. Some guys ran out of equiptment

The best ran against the best, Something Sprint week has only touched on with sometimes four or five SCRA attending.
Chuck, I remember the Hewitt slider all to well,got the front tubes from that car hanging from the rafters in the garage.That year the tour wasn't very kind to us, before the Eldora wreck we had already hurt 3 motors and the one we was using was a combination of two that had been hurt.(ironically it was Bob Hampshire who resurfaced the heads for us before Eldora). We built a new car after Eldora,which we finished in the pits at Findley after recieveing the chassis the night before,something broke in the driveline while running 6th so then the race you mentioned at Liberty was a bright spot for a while,Lealand was leading the feature and as it got later in the race we actually thought we were finally going to finish a race and maybe win it to boot when it happened,Lealand and Frankie Kerr got together coming out of four the contact folded Lealands front end and sent him into the wall which in turn bent that 2 race old car pretty bad.
With two races remaining in the tour we were done,Lealand was frustrated and we all were sick and tired of rebuilding things everyday in the hotel parking lots and we were pretty much out of parts, so the trip from hell ended.Yes those tours were tough as we would race 9 to 10 nights in a two week time period with some all night drives mixed in just in case you were bored!
I will say this though,there must be something wrong with me as I would definitely do that whole trip over again, since any day racing is a good day!

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, FishBurger, jim goerge, TNRustler
6/9/11, 9:35 AM   #39
Rex W.

Haud didn't flip down the backstretch in the Kodiak car he was in the Forbrook 5 car. He put a sluder on Lealand & smacked the wall outta 2 & sucked the front end in & away he went.
Randy kinser was paid before Roush it had something to do with the sign in sheets that the insurance co wanted & the Brownstown promoter wouldnt come off them for some reason.
Posted using Mobile Device

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester
6/9/11, 12:45 PM   #40
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Thanx Terry and Rex for the clarity. I remember bits and pieces from that time. Have the 91 tour on tape but the case of the tape is broken.

I do remember. GOOD TIMES!

And yes, I remember Frankie and Leland getting together at Union County. Man did Frankie every get a booing. It was his first wingless win. Also at that race, I thought Billy boat (Bromme #6?) was going to be pinched between another car and the wall on the backstretch. One of the neatest moves I ever seen as he pitched the car sideways, Dove under that car and passed him going into three. (Had to see it to believe it)

Chuck, one who is glad this thread was hijacked. Like I said, Sprintweek is great. CRA tours were fantastic! I kinda liken it to when USAC goes out to Perris and the west in Nov. But thats just three or four races. Not ten.

PS. Weren't one of these races held at Attica? I remember going there for one where I talked to MClure about the car they were racing (Mid cage downtube)

Also I wasn't there but on my tape. Sammy came out to try I think at Grand Forks???? Flipped it in qualifying. It was in the Annett car. Not sure if it was the independant suspension car. But he flipped down the straight after the car started bobbling.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/9/11 at 12:49 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Unpaid CRA bounties