IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget racing returning to the Speedrome?
1/13/14, 11:16 PM   #31
Re: Midget racing returning to the Speedrome?
badcoupe

Umra is more or less defunct according to few people. And the club split really killed car counts. I would love to see some tq's on the pavement again for sure. The mini sprints are awful boring to watch everywhere Ive seen them, seems like theres one fast car and they are strung out not much racing, not biased just calling it like I've seen it. We ran the regional series at the drome in 2000, it took AT LEAST 6 tires a night to make a decent run. Some guys changed everytime they went on the track. usually 4 stickers for qual and run them in the heat then 2 stickers for the right side in the feature. Run those 4 for practice the next week, then 4 new ones for qual. $800 a night for tires to win 350 killed it real quick!

1/14/14, 7:48 AM   #32
treecitytornado

I ran there in 2000 too, but never qualified. You could run on 3 new tires a night.

1/17/14, 9:59 PM   #33
PatrickMead#13

Any new news on this?

1/27/14, 6:58 PM   #34
PatrickMead#13

Their schedule is out and it doesn't show any midget races. What gives?

1/27/14, 8:21 PM   #35
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

All the first post said is it's Larry Curry's goal to bring midget racing back to the Speedrome. Next thing you know everybody's speculating about what days he should run them, what the tire rules should be, adding TQ's and Mini Sprints to the schedule. Maybe he meant next year. Or maybe that's the part of the schedule that's "subject to change"...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 1/27/14 at 8:24 PM.

1 member likes this post: Geoff Kaiser
1/27/14, 9:01 PM   #36
TQ29m

Jim, you may be onto something! That was the reason for my post about allowing the use of dirt tires on midgets, it might get them there without having to lay out $600.00 for tires just to try it. Bob

1/27/14, 9:36 PM   #37
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Jim, you may be onto something! That was the reason for my post about allowing the use of dirt tires on midgets, it might get them there without having to lay out $600.00 for tires just to try it. Bob
I know the dwarf car tires were great back in the day and they held up very well. Very cost effective and they didn't "fall off fast" either.

1 member likes this post: gearguy
1/28/14, 3:30 AM   #38
racefan20

You might find out a little more of their plans tomorrow night. Larry Curry(along with Dave Argabright) is a guest Tuesday at 7PM on Don Kay's show at McGilvery's 30th and High School in Speedway or at http://www.autosportradio.com/

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

1 member likes this post: Task Force
1/28/14, 9:55 AM   #39
bsmith8

We ran there with USAC regional and National and Namars and never bought six tires a night, 2 stickers usually and always had to run the A main on the RR you started the night with . We ran pretty good and won a couple on 1 set of tires for the entire night. 3 stickers and a half a season old LF. I know the TQS guys were not putting stickers on everytime they went out on the track nor was any of the full midgets we were competing against.

1/31/14, 12:16 PM   #40
PatrickMead#13

Could just make a street tire rule......

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget racing returning to the Speedrome?