IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy Cars
4/21/09, 2:08 PM   #31
Re: Indy Cars
ThrottleHead

Don't forget about Sarah Fisher. At least she has the right background!

I for one am REALLY glad Milka does not have a ride. At least folks should not have to worry about that rolling chicane!

I would almost kill to see Darland, Coons, Cottle and Jones in the Indy 500!

4/21/09, 4:57 PM   #32
Jim Halpert

All I know is my cousin and I race to the phone every May 1 at midnight to wish each other a happy May...and there's only one reason for that. We then meet with various friends, or just by ourselves almost every practice/qualifying day to enjoy the leadup to the world's largest single day sporting event. I still can't sleep the night before the 500, (usually because USAC runs so late at ORP!), but mainly because the most important race of all is in my backyard the next day. Are we seriously complaining about the INDIANAPOLIS 500 MILE RACE? Do we realize how lucky we are? Millions of people cram into Indiana every May, boost our economy, and for one Sunday afternoon become our closest friends...that's not an everyday thing folks. IndyCar may not be what some of us want it to be...agreed, but take it for what it is...enjoy it...all the complaining, and I have done my share, makes no difference...just enjoy it...it's almost May. Donald Davidson, Jim Nabors, the fastest thirty-three, Vitor Meira almost making me crap my pants last year when he made that pass for the lead, the turkey legs, sun, noise, balloons...maybe I'm the only one in the world that absolutely can't wait...maybe there are a half a million folks just like me...I don't care...all I know is that come May 24...in the oldest grandstand at the most famous racetrack in the world...the Weltzin family is gonna have a party with some of the greatest drivers in the world. Meanwhile, I'll see you at Bloomington on Friday...

4/21/09, 7:40 PM   #33
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Halpert View Post
All I know is my cousin and I race to the phone every May 1 at midnight to wish each other a happy May...and there's only one reason for that. We then meet with various friends, or just by ourselves almost every practice/qualifying day to enjoy the leadup to the world's largest single day sporting event. I still can't sleep the night before the 500, (usually because USAC runs so late at ORP!), but mainly because the most important race of all is in my backyard the next day. Are we seriously complaining about the INDIANAPOLIS 500 MILE RACE? Do we realize how lucky we are? Millions of people cram into Indiana every May, boost our economy, and for one Sunday afternoon become our closest friends...that's not an everyday thing folks. IndyCar may not be what some of us want it to be...agreed, but take it for what it is...enjoy it...all the complaining, and I have done my share, makes no difference...just enjoy it...it's almost May. Donald Davidson, Jim Nabors, the fastest thirty-three, Vitor Meira almost making me crap my pants last year when he made that pass for the lead, the turkey legs, sun, noise, balloons...maybe I'm the only one in the world that absolutely can't wait...maybe there are a half a million folks just like me...I don't care...all I know is that come May 24...in the oldest grandstand at the most famous racetrack in the world...the Weltzin family is gonna have a party with some of the greatest drivers in the world. Meanwhile, I'll see you at Bloomington on Friday...
Those empty seats that never used to be there worry me a great deal. While it's still a huge crowd, it is much smaller than it used to be. Also keep in mind that the infield is much smaller now, too. Tickets by the handful are being held up for sale on Georgetown Rd with not many takers. It is declining because Tony lost site of his mission.

4/21/09, 7:42 PM   #34
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrottleHead View Post
Don't forget about Sarah Fisher. At least she has the right background!

I for one am REALLY glad Milka does not have a ride. At least folks should not have to worry about that rolling chicane!

I would almost kill to see Darland, Coons, Cottle and Jones in the Indy 500!
Sarah has the right background but never got a chance with the big three. We'll never know what she was really capable of. She did have a few good runs in Derek Walker's car but, they were underfinanced for the most part, too.

4/21/09, 8:12 PM   #35
ColoradoFan

I guess since I started this thread I'll jump back in to defend one of my all time favorite IRL drivers. I am close friends with Sam Hornish Jr's aunt and uncle. We are all here in Colorado so I don't have much real first hand knowledge since the Hornish family is in Ohio. I will share what I was told about Sam's move to Penske.
When Sam finally made it into an IRL car (PDM), his focus as a kid that grew up in Defiance,Ohio had always been to win the Indy 500. I think we can all agree that Penske was the best opportunity at the time and might still be and I'm sure it paid pretty well also. In my opinion after he won the 500 he was not as challenged in the IRL feeling like he had achieved his childhood goal. To complicate the matter, it seemed to him that the IRL had little interest in promoting him even though he was a 500 winner and three time series champion. If you all remember the big push was to feature Danica anywhere that they could get publicity. In my opinion his move to Nascar was not preplanned when he moved to Penske. It came about because Tony George and his PR people ignored him so he looked for a new challenge and Penske had one built in already. I think it has proven to be pretty tough assignment for a driver that could really wheel an IRL machine.
I never missed a race when Sam was driving and to this day there has never been a "King of the High Banks" like Sam Hornish Jr. running up top on the edge of the gray stuff in the IRL.
Just my opinion sprinkled with a little bit of inside info..

Vern Plotts

4/21/09, 8:19 PM   #36
Gregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
It has nothing to do with xenophobia or race. I'm just not interested in watching 20 Gino (or Gina) Guacomoli's who came the formula Saab series in East Armpit South America. I don't know who these people are nor do I care. It's an absolute sin that American circle trackers can't even get a smell from these car owners. Look at Penske and Ganassi. They put foreigners in their Indy Cars and send their American drivers to Neckcar. Penske had a great American driver for a while but, he stuck him in a taxi cab. I can't believe these geniuses can't see that they are killing the sport by bringing in almost, exclusively, foreign drivers for all of the top notch rides. I have no problem with foreigners competing against our guys, but our guys can't get a chance. I thought it was incredible back in the 60's 70's and early 80's when the best of Europe and other countires came over here to compete against our circle trackers like Jones, Foyt, Johncock, Rutherford, Sneva, Andretti, the Unsers etc. These guys were all sprint/midget drivers and they had no problem adapting to the rear engined cars and some even excelled on road courses. Now, for some reason, the powers that be in Indy Car racing don't think our guys can adapt. Go figure.

Spot on, Craig.:thumb

I watched the cream rise to the top. Wise, Sweet, Clauson, Darland... It just doesn't get any better than this. I still don't know who the Viso guy is and I watched him race 490+ laps last year. Lets put them all in a car with a couple thousand pounds less downforce and Josh Wise would have his way with the IndyCar elite.:thumb

4/21/09, 8:34 PM   #37
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
FYI - I think the word racist is not the correct word here. The word you are looking for is xenophobe.

Main Entry: xe·no·phobe
Pronunciation: \ˈze-nə-ˌfōb, ˈzē-\
Function: noun
Etymology: International Scientific Vocabulary
Date: 1922
: one unduly fearful of what is foreign and especially of people of foreign origin
Well now Seadog if you had actually read the post I quoted you would see that I was calling out smbperformance for using the term racist in his post. I never called anyone a racist. But like always, some view things as they want to view them and not how they actually are.

4/22/09, 8:21 AM   #38
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
Those empty seats that never used to be there worry me a great deal. While it's still a huge crowd, it is much smaller than it used to be. Also keep in mind that the infield is much smaller now, too. Tickets by the handful are being held up for sale on Georgetown Rd with not many takers. It is declining because Tony lost site of his mission.
While empty seats are never a good thing, it is not necessarily a total result of TG's "vision". Have you looked at Nascar races lately? Talk about empty seats! Like the saying goes, "It's the economy, stupid!" (not calling you stupid, that is just the saying). I have sat at the south end (Grandstand G) of the Speedway for 25 of my 50 years there. I can honestly say that our stands were fuller in '08 than any time in the last 5 years.

I know that there is much hatred for all things IndyCar on this board. But I guess I go against the grain around here. I still support it and enjoy it. I would love to see "our guys" in that race. But I take it for what it is. It is not taxi cabs:thumbsdown: or stick and ball sports:thumbsdown:. USAC sprints, midgets and Silver Crown is my first love. IndyCar is my second love. There is no third for me.

4/22/09, 2:29 PM   #39
onthegas7j

Race Count This Year: 48
Race Count Last Year: 31

the indianapolis 500 is still the indianapolis 500 and i would give anything to be able to go again.. thank you vmm-263 blah

4/22/09, 2:45 PM   #40
aceace

Some good news, the Indy car race at Long Beach had a 0.5 share which is nearly twice what St Pete (0.28) was. People are starting to find that VS channel. If we could only get that channel on expanded basic (some Comcast outlets do) things would be hunky dory.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy Cars