IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Umra-king of the tq midgets
3/9/15, 1:17 PM   #21
TQ29m

DAD, 2-1 would be over the top, 20-25% would be plenty, problem is, not any/much room to make it happen, the best fix would be a R&P change, say maybe a 6 or 6.5-1 would get er done, I am waiting to order one, while I wait for my snow has all been sold! Bob

1 member likes this post: DAD
3/9/15, 1:52 PM   #22
Re: Umra-king of the tq midgets
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
DAD, 2-1 would be over the top, 20-25% would be plenty, problem is, not any/much room to make it happen, the best fix would be a R&P change, say maybe a 6 or 6.5-1 would get er done, I am waiting to order one, while I wait for my snow has all been sold! Bob
Bob

I kinda of assumed you would be the guy to get er done. I am kinda of working on an Idea conglomerating the classes. These Ecotec's are neat, they have more than enough power stock to put on a good race. Motors are cheap and plentiful. Us cycle racers have to spend a whole lot more to buy an engine and we are competing against one another for the same motor. Race cars wear out, Yeh I know some may take 30 or so years to do that but they do wear out. When you stop to think about it TQ's Mini Sprints and now Ecotecs or Focus powered midgets are awfully close together. If and when we started racing together the better formula would win out. Right now today I would say Ecotec's are the best choice. But they have a hard time making a field because of the times more so than anything else.

I may be a Quack but I sure like looking down the road to another Midget division that combines all of these more affordable classes together.

We have raced Min Sprints with TQ's and we have raced Mini Sprints with Ecotecs>>>>>>and I can tell you there sure isn't much difference.

When you guys start looking at those $2000.00 600cc motors remember that the Junk yard down the road has a motor that will do the same thing for $300.00.

Honest Dad himself

3/9/15, 2:57 PM   #23
TQ29m

$300.00 to $500.00 is about what I pay for a good 600R, but I usually don't have to buy a complete motor, maybe a head, or pistons, and that's under a hundred, so it's also a cheap fix, biggest cost is the head gasket,but then over the years I've managed to learn how to fix things myself, but this engine has been really dependable, since 05, it's only been one head, and a couple of rods and pistons, and not counting last year, we haven't missed but a few races, but my driver has been awfully busy, so we run when he has time. Bob

2 members like this post: DAD, RickyBobby
3/9/15, 6:51 PM   #24
DAD

Bob

Unfortunately every racer is not an "Ole Robert". In fact the government can't wait to do away with them type folks altogether. Teach somebody to work with their hands heaven forbid (Guess that wouldn't be PC anymore either) come to think of it. We did chain drive because it was simple with a motor cycle motor. The money we save on engines would go nicely toward a rear end. Guys are basically taking these motors out of wrecks and putting them into race cars.

The neatest thing that I have seen in a long time was at Du Quoin> A guy kept his stock air box and throttle body but replaced his electronic injectors with Mechanical injectors. It worked great.

Times are changing faster now than it has in of your's or my lifetime. When we started Mini Sprints these little 4 valve auto motors did not even exist, now the car makers are thinking about even smaller motors and forced induction.. What is next????

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 3/9/15 at 6:59 PM.

3/9/15, 7:27 PM   #25
TQ29m

DAD, I only use the engine it's self, I use a "modified by Bob" Hilborn injection, the same Dyna ignition that is used by Honda owners, the connection from the engine to the rear end is the same, only the adapter plate is different, and I make them in my shop, and due to my connections with manufactures, I am called upon to do some R&D, which a few years ago, cost a lot of good finishes, it was a good ignition, very simple, and could be reset trackside via a laptop, problem was it wouldn't turn over 10k, no matter what, so he flew in from Iowa to see for himself, and nothing he could do would help, so that did it in for that season, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Maybe my driver will be able to drive more this year, I'd sure like to make Brownstown in 3 wks! Bob

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
3/9/15, 7:48 PM   #26
TQ29m

DAD, as far as the gear reduction goes, my 2nd cousin, Greg Lefler happens to be the owner of a large gear mfg co in ft Wayne, so that would be a non problem. And yes, he is Paul's son. Bob

3/9/15, 8:42 PM   #27
badcoupe

Only problem was the rules that said direct connection to the crank. Danny warren a few years back wanted to be allowed to run a year reduction for his Kawasaki. That car was fast won every race it finished Jeremy's rookie year. Just couldn't keep cranks in it.

3/9/15, 9:23 PM   #28
TQ29m

Danny had the same problem I sidestepped, I have 2, 700cc, 5 valve Yamaha motors, but the cranks are flat on each end, and don't exit the case, I didn't want to weld on them, which is I think is what Danny did, I was tempted to bore the crank, with the same taper as the Honda, and cut the splines on the piece that would be bolted into that bore, then I came across the 600's that didn't require any work there, so I had change in plan, besides, the 700 was only a 2 yr production run, and terribly hard to find. There is more about this story, but it does no good to go further with it. For the record, Wayne Harpring and I wrote that rule! Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 3/9/15 at 9:26 PM.

3/9/15, 9:29 PM   #29
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
Only problem was the rules that said direct connection to the crank. Danny warren a few years back wanted to be allowed to run a year reduction for his Kawasaki. That car was fast won every race it finished Jeremy's rookie year. Just couldn't keep cranks in it.
Bad

The no reduction rule worked well with 9000rpm motors with Heavy Duty crankshafts. With 15000rpm motors that rule is outdated. These new motorcycle motor take their power inboard on the crankshaft and not from the end as the older motors did. Doing it this way allows them to reduce the engine's rpm's to prevent them from blowing up clutches at these very high speeds. Kind of like saying you can run a gas turbine but it may not have a reduction box on it. Just won't work. Times change, engine designs change and I think that racers are going to have to change also.

Look around and take note on what is available to the racers, don't just look at motorcycle motors. Spend a few nights at the La Quinta Inns. Many engines are out there right now that have as much or more potential as the trusty old 750 Honda or for that matter the now outdated 636 Kawasaki.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 3/9/15 at 9:34 PM.

3/9/15, 9:53 PM   #30
TQ29m

DAD, the Honda drove the clutch like modern engines, not off the end as you are saying, but instead of a gear drive, they used a pair of chains to drive the clutch. Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Umra-king of the tq midgets