IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Shaft drive mini sprint
1/8/14, 11:42 PM   #21
Re: Shaft drive mini sprint
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
The Kenyon was banned in the 80's by USAC, at the time I saw it run BCRA may have been the only place it was legal. Brad Mosen ran the Synergy V8 at the Chili Bowl and they banned it immediately; you know if it's illegal at Tulsa it's gotta be something special...
Jim

Yeh at the time they wanted $20,000.00 for one of them Synergy things and they were not set up for production yet. That sounds high to a mini sprinter but to a midget guy that would be dirt cheap, and they did not say anything about the fact that could run a couple of seasons of racing before they needed a freshen up.

Honest Dad himself

1/10/14, 2:14 AM   #22
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Jim

Yeh at the time they wanted $20,000.00 for one of them Synergy things and they were not set up for production yet. That sounds high to a mini sprinter but to a midget guy that would be dirt cheap, and they did not say anything about the fact that could run a couple of seasons of racing before they needed a freshen up.

Honest Dad himself
ttt

Honest Dad himself

1/18/14, 5:21 PM   #23
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Pat,
What's the offset between the crank & countershaft on your R1? Montpelier and MMSA still want you to keep it under 6" with the drive shaft on the centerline.
Dad,
Regarding the $700 premium, wouldn't you eventually eat that up replacing chain and sprockets?
What's M/E loss? we talkin' drag/friction here?
The R1 measures 5.75" crank center to the center of output shaft. Hmmmm.....

1/21/14, 9:38 PM   #24
Racer_dude35

Dad this was done by a fellow in Ohio son drive car raced at Ada

1/21/14, 9:49 PM   #25
PatrickMead#13

Would anyone happen to have a picture of the Kenyon setup?

1/22/14, 1:05 PM   #26
PatrickMead#13

And just for sake of discussion. At Montpelier, there's no engine rules so to speak. With that being said, I have found several kawi 1400 concourse engines complete for less than 1k. Just remove the factory drive assembly from where a sprocket would go. Power on the cheap I would think and would be able to spin a q/c without too much hassle. And....... Go.......

1/22/14, 1:35 PM   #27
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Shhh! I was thinking the same thing about a V-Max...
Montpelier rules don't even restrict a shaft-drive motorcycle setup to have the driveline centered in the chassis, so what you're proposing would be legal under the rules as they stand now. You may end up with something that could only run at Montpelier, but that isn't neccessarily a bad thing.
My gut tells me Montpelier would allow a certain amount of wiggle room in the rules, until we started making the Midgeteers nervous...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

1/22/14, 1:41 PM   #28
jjones752

Here's some pics of the Kenyon setup...
Attached Images
Kenyon 1.jpg (45.7 KB, 82 views)
Kenyon 2.jpg (50.5 KB, 78 views)
Kenyon 3.jpg (44.4 KB, 77 views)

1/22/14, 3:40 PM   #29
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Shhh! I was thinking the same thing about a V-Max...
Montpelier rules don't even restrict a shaft-drive motorcycle setup to have the driveline centered in the chassis, so what you're proposing would be legal under the rules as they stand now. You may end up with something that could only run at Montpelier, but that isn't neccessarily a bad thing.
My gut tells me Montpelier would allow a certain amount of wiggle room in the rules, until we started making the Midgeteers nervous...
Nothing new there... my old engine was talked down upon until my rookie butt ran fairly well then I got more of the 1000cc rule kindly reminded to me. Lol

1/22/14, 4:24 PM   #30
jjones752

And now I will be running that same brand of old antiquated lump, only Hilborn-injected; I'm looking forward to being the brunt of ridicule come April...

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Shaft drive mini sprint