IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Look Who's Up Front Threatening To Win @ Daytona
2/24/13, 8:41 AM   #21
Re: Look Who's Up Front Threatening To Win @ Dayto
Gregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by barny oldfeller View Post
hopefully gnassy wasn't watching, he might decide that nascar racing's too dangerous
Or the Chippy might figure non-wing sprinters aren't so dangerous after all. I guess we all know the answer to that.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, I Miss Manzy, jim goerge
2/24/13, 10:40 AM   #22
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Im not a expert but I observe things. Here is something that became obvious to me and anyone with large gates in their catch fence might think about replacing it.

This is a little big clearer now. There was a crossover gate at that location used in Supercross and at other times. When the car hit the fence it blew out the gate and the car sheared off on the fence post If it had been continuous chain link fencing this most likely wouldn't have happened and the entire car save bits and pieces most likely would remain within track boundary.

This is only my view and not based on 100 percent of the facts.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/24/13 at 10:41 AM.

1 member likes this post: ISF
2/24/13, 11:03 AM   #23
aceace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Im not a expert but I observe things. Here is something that became obvious to me and anyone with large gates in their catch fence might think about replacing it.

This is a little big clearer now. There was a crossover gate at that location used in Supercross and at other times. When the car hit the fence it blew out the gate and the car sheared off on the fence post If it had been continuous chain link fencing this most likely wouldn't have happened and the entire car save bits and pieces most likely would remain within track boundary.

This is only my view and not based on 100 percent of the facts.
I agree 100% that gate was what caused the shearing of the car. It appeared to be at least 6 feet wide, maybe 8. That car hit that gate at just the right moment for that to happen. I'm sure by night there were more lawyers than doctors at that hospital. Noticed they eliminated the gate when they repaired the fence. I guess if your going to have a crossover it better be just wide enough to get a person through maybe 30 inches.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
2/24/13, 11:11 AM   #24
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceace View Post
I agree 100% that gate was what caused the shearing of the car. It appeared to be at least 6 feet wide, maybe 8. That car hit that gate at just the right moment for that to happen. I'm sure by night there were more lawyers than doctors at that hospital. Noticed they eliminated the gate when they repaired the fence. I guess if your going to have a crossover it better be just wide enough to get a person through maybe 30 inches.
That or be offset with that fencing ending and another one started behind it. Sorta like your track entrances and exits so you have to enter at a angle oposite direction of travel.

2/24/13, 11:54 AM   #25
DAD

Who ever would have thought that a low crowd turn out would be a good thing. Pray to God something like that does not happen today.

The Powers that be are just looking at stuff like this, so they can make more law's to protect us from ourselves.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
2/24/13, 12:32 PM   #26
Charles Nungester

I wouldn't say low turnout, Id say a lot left to beat the crowd as you see at about ever ballpark and race for whatever reason.

I see it as a overlooked safety mistake in a sport that where anything that can happen, usually does and just when you think you've seen it all, YOU HAVEN'T!

Sure the ones injured have a case, Its not going to bankrupt the France Family, Hell they are tax payer subsidized. A smaller track it would ruin.

2/24/13, 2:35 PM   #27
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

That crash was a bit similar to that of Don McTavish is 1969, except he hit the gate in turn four, severing the car, and killing Don. The half of the car containing Don was struck by Sam Sommers after it wound up in front of the grandstand. One of the most grizzly scenes imaginable.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
2/24/13, 2:57 PM   #28
drtrcr86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
That crash was a bit similar to that of Don McTavish is 1969, except he hit the gate in turn four, severing the car, and killing Don. The half of the car containing Don was struck by Sam Sommers after it wound up in front of the grandstand. One of the most grizzly scenes imaginable.
I was in the grandstands for that race in 1969. The McTavish car indeed was missing everything in front of the firewall after the initial hit, then slid to a stop facing the oncoming cars. It seemed to be seconds before being struck at nearly full speed by Sommers. Even the safety crews took their time getting to the wreck, I believe no one wanted to see it up close. Grizzly indeed.

2/24/13, 2:58 PM   #29
Charles Nungester

Being stupid as I am, I looked up Don McTavis wreck on youtube.

DON'T DO IT! Im about to hurl.

2/24/13, 5:41 PM   #30
SpfldMile

Nice run JJ!
Yeley, I mean
Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by SpfldMile; 2/24/13 at 5:42 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Look Who's Up Front Threatening To Win @ Daytona