IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > mini sprint evolution
7/19/12, 11:29 AM   #21
Re: mini sprint evolution
TM123

It's not like mini sprint motors haven't evolved for years, they have evolved with the motorcycle industry. The mini sprints have gone from the 1100 GS to the 1100 oil cooled GSXR to the 1100 water cooled GSXR to the 1200 Bandit to the 1000's that are being ran today. These are new motors with new technology. The good thing is that the manufactures are doing all the R&D for power and reliability for us. We just have to sit back and roll with changes. As Dad said before it's when you start messing around in these motors you shortin the fuse.

This class has always been about economics and with the way these engines are preforming now you can get power, reliability, and cost effectiveness if you leave them stock. It certainly dosen't help with the economics if you have to change everything over to a midget.

As far as running this against the mini sprints, it's not just about what if it beats you. It's about what if it takes you out unintentionally. Things happen on the race track and if a car that is not legal to be out there spins in front of you and lets say your leading and hit it you will not be happy.

1 member likes this post: DAD
7/19/12, 12:09 PM   #22
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadpro18 View Post
In my 30+ years of racing, a stock 1000cc chain-drive mini sprint has been, by far, the most unreliable powertrain I've ever owned. Just looking at our sanctioning body, the engine/driveline has the highest catastophic failure rate I've ever seen, not to mention the minor failures that cause weekly DNFs.

If provided with the option of a reliable engine/driveline I'd stay in this class... but, I wont waste another dime on a 1000cc go kart...
It takes a few years to learn that you don't use master links or cheap chains and how to adjust chain tension with car a ride height and driver in.

GO-KART do you race a sidewinder?

Find somebody who has raced these things for a while ask them for help chains are not the problem it how you use them.

After you do that you got it licked.

Honest Dad himself

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM123 View Post
It's not like mini sprint motors haven't evolved for years, they have evolved with the motorcycle industry. The mini sprints have gone from the 1100 GS to the 1100 oil cooled GSXR to the 1100 water cooled GSXR to the 1200 Bandit to the 1000's that are being ran today. These are new motors with new technology. The good thing is that the manufactures are doing all the R&D for power and reliability for us. We just have to sit back and roll with changes. As Dad said before it's when you start messing around in these motors you shortin the fuse.

This class has always been about economics and with the way these engines are preforming now you can get power, reliability, and cost effectiveness if you leave them stock. It certainly dosen't help with the economics if you have to change everything over to a midget.

As far as running this against the mini sprints, it's not just about what if it beats you. It's about what if it takes you out unintentionally. Things happen on the race track and if a car that is not legal to be out there spins in front of you and lets say your leading and hit it you will not be happy.
Then-----lets make them legal, if they work everyone will switch to them if they don't work that will be the end of the discussion, but let's give them a chance. I don't like the idea of push trucks, but** the tracks we race at the gear might be low enough they could get by bump starting with only the starter motor.

When I raced "micro midgets" back in 19%& (I had to retire when my dad could no longer pick up the back of the car and run and drop me on the track to get me started.

We would have to work around the starting thing.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/19/12 at 11:38 AM.

2 members like this post: Phylo82, STUMPS88
7/19/12, 12:10 PM   #23
Phylo82

You learn quickly that chain maintenance is a key factor with a mini sprint. You need to clean it after each race, not just keep dumping chain lube on it but actually clean it so it moves smoothly.

Also, chain does go bad....they stretch out, become weak. Lay an old chain on the ground next to a new one and try to bend it sideways. You can see the difference.

If your chain is an afterthought when it comes to car maintenance you are going to have problems.
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt

7/19/12, 12:35 PM   #24
D.L. 122

Would they really be capable of going faster than a regular minisprint running a 1000cc with a chain drive? The power numbers look close to an 06 yamaha and we were told that quick change rear ends rob smaller motors like the 1000cc of power.

7/19/12, 12:48 PM   #25
backitin

It's all talk about fixin something that aint broken. p.s. I've raced chain driven vehicles for lots of years, never dnfed because of a chain problem. I've seen lots of other's dnf because of chain problems. Good setup and maintance, should have no problems.

7/19/12, 12:57 PM   #26
mini27

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.L. 122 View Post
Would they really be capable of going faster than a regular minisprint running a 1000cc with a chain drive? The power numbers look close to an 06 yamaha and we were told that quick change rear ends rob smaller motors like the 1000cc of power.
I'm for quick changes in minis just because it will make it easier,but a chain takes way less HP to turn then a quick change so unless everyone changes I keep the chain. But as I said before this motor is not needed for minisprints.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/19/12, 1:01 PM   #27
latemodel55

Dad, the engines will be self starting. You will bump start them with the starter, Ford by-passed the 500 min rpm to start in the ecu.

1 member likes this post: DAD
7/19/12, 1:06 PM   #28
sday27

That may be the new focus motor usca coming out with the new one for next season ands its going to be a ford.

7/19/12, 2:01 PM   #29
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by latemodel55 View Post
Dad, the engines will be self starting. You will bump start them with the starter, Ford by-passed the 500 min rpm to start in the ecu.
Call Bill May, talk to him about running with us, Most of the MMSA people are pretty easy to get along with. I for one would like to see one of these car on the track. Just remember "you are not allowed beat us".

Honest Dad himself

7/20/12, 5:43 PM   #30
Cadpro18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
... Not to mention that the Wisconsin mini sprints are one of the biggest groups in the country. They are doing fine with inline 4 cyl. motorcycle motors. No evolution needed there.

Posted via Mobile Device
How familiar are you with the WIMS group? Or, how do you define “doing fine”? Before the ˝ way point in the season they had 10 engine failures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad View Post
it takes a few years to learn that you don't use master links or cheap chains and how to adjust chain tension with car a ride height and driver in.

Go-kart do you race a sidewinder?

Find somebody who has raced these things for a while ask them for help chains are not the problem it how you use them.

After you do that you got it licked.

Honest dad himself

---------- post added at 12:09 pm ---------- previous post was at 11:31 am ----------

So as to not bore everyone with the details of my maintenance program, set up, or the quality of the equipment, I'll just say that none of those is the problem. In fact, I've never had any problems with the chain. But, as a result of repeatedly getting airborne, I have had all the teeth ripped off a brand new sprocket by a DRZ2 chain w/rivet link, that was immaculately cleaned, lubricated, and properly adjusted.

I couldn’t agree more that the problem was how I was using it… I shouldn’t have been hitting the double jump on the exit of 4.

I don't question those that say the current engine/driveline package is working fine for their tracks and conditions. On my home track with typical conditions, i.e., holes, ruts, jumps, etc, I expect engine and driveline failures to be common... and they are.

Chain & sprockets = go-kart, quick change= race car

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > mini sprint evolution