IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > LPS updates
7/23/11, 10:20 PM   #21
Re: LPS updates
pletchfan

Thanks DO for the updates. Night everyone this girl is heading for bed. Have to be at church early tomorrow. I just love it when I post those little zzzz things. Before they come up with the pic they go up on my end as 29, that was TP's car number. Kind of fitting I think. Try it. Type a post and then select the little guy doing the zzzzzz and you will see the number 29. When you post the reply is when it changes to the zzzz.

1 member likes this post: racegal
7/23/11, 10:31 PM   #22
Rpracing1

Anybody die from the heat at the track tonight? Just thinkin............

7/23/11, 11:12 PM   #23
SPRINTCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
Anybody die from the heat at the track tonight? Just thinkin............
Don't start!

2 members like this post: Dannypollock24, mikeham73
7/23/11, 11:27 PM   #24
Jerry Shaw

I've seen a lot of really good races at this track, this year. The best part is that each one of them has been unique. Great races, but totally different from one another. Tonight was one of those that for sure you thought you had the winner figured out, because for almost the entire race Chris Windom looked so dominant. Which should be no surprise, since he's currently is the best in the country. Since it looked like he had 'em covered, it provided the perfect opportunity for you to look back through the field to take in the best battles throughout the field. And were there ever some, too. Coleman Gulick came out of his heat with the last transfer spot, so with him starting deep in the field you just knew that would be one place there would be great action, for sure. His battle with Andrew Elson was one of the best of the race. It went on for several laps and they just took the gloves off and had at it, but when the smoke cleared, Coleman was just too strong and moved on. The ones between he and Hollingsworth and Shuman was almost as fun to watch. Same for a late race scrap between Brett Burdette and Kyle Cummins. Brett had a strong third place position for most of the race, but after the last yellow Cummins made a mad charge to try to take the last podium spot away. Both were crashing into the cushion with no fear. Brett did an outstanding job holding off the surging Cummins. He had to because Kyle had pulled out all the stops and was just all over him. While all this was going on and Windom had pulled out to a comfortable lead, DD had a similar margin over third place Burdette. For most of the race, Dave was up top riding the cushion much like Windom was. But then as the laps wound down, because he had the luxury of not being pressured for his position, Dave started experimenting with different lines. Then, after the last yellow with 6 laps left Dave changed up and started using the bottom of the track. It looked to be working, as Chris wasn't pulling away from him, this time. With two to go, Dave stepped it up and closed the distance. Coming out of turn two on the white flag lap you knew that Dave had something for him as he drew almost even with him. He came into three and you knew he would have a shot, because he closed the distance even more, but Windom was still a nose ahead. So you had Chris Windom standing on the gas, coming off of the top of turn four and Dave Darland getting tremendous bite, coming off of the bottom. It was a drag race to the finish and as someone else said, until they were a few feet from the line yo still didn't know who was going to win. Dave beat him back to the line and the crowd was stunned and when the realization set over them that Dave had pulled it off, they went wild! How could it get any better than that? Their old track favorite snatching a win away from the current best sprint driver in the country, on the last turn of the last lap.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 7/24/11 at 12:37 AM.

7/24/11, 12:19 AM   #25
SpfldMile

Thanks Jerry, felt like I was there.

2 members like this post: Butch47265, Jerry Shaw
7/24/11, 12:42 AM   #26
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpfldMile View Post
Thanks Jerry, felt like I was there.
I was there, even with Jerry's great write up, it doesn't do justice to the race that was seen by those in attendance.

Jerry It was nice meeting you tonight.

2 members like this post: Dannypollock24, opie
7/24/11, 6:03 AM   #27
Dannypollock24

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 30 +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
I've seen a lot of really good races at this track, this year. The best part is that each one of them has been unique. Great races, but totally different from one another. Tonight was one of those that for sure you thought you had the winner figured out, because for almost the entire race Chris Windom looked so dominant. Which should be no surprise, since he's currently is the best in the country. Since it looked like he had 'em covered, it provided the perfect opportunity for you to look back through the field to take in the best battles throughout the field. And were there ever some, too. Coleman Gulick came out of his heat with the last transfer spot, so with him starting deep in the field you just knew that would be one place there would be great action, for sure. His battle with Andrew Elson was one of the best of the race. It went on for several laps and they just took the gloves off and had at it, but when the smoke cleared, Coleman was just too strong and moved on. The ones between he and Hollingsworth and Shuman was almost as fun to watch. Same for a late race scrap between Brett Burdette and Kyle Cummins. Brett had a strong third place position for most of the race, but after the last yellow Cummins made a mad charge to try to take the last podium spot away. Both were crashing into the cushion with no fear. Brett did an outstanding job holding off the surging Cummins. He had to because Kyle had pulled out all the stops and was just all over him. While all this was going on and Windom had pulled out to a comfortable lead, DD had a similar margin over third place Burdette. For most of the race, Dave was up top riding the cushion much like Windom was. But then as the laps wound down, because he had the luxury of not being pressured for his position, Dave started experimenting with different lines. Then, after the last yellow with 6 laps left Dave changed up and started using the bottom of the track. It looked to be working, as Chris wasn't pulling away from him, this time. With two to go, Dave stepped it up and closed the distance. Coming out of turn two on the white flag lap you knew that Dave had something for him as he drew almost even with him. He came into three and you knew he would have a shot, because he closed the distance even more, but Windom was still a nose ahead. So you had Chris Windom standing on the gas, coming off of the top of turn four and Dave Darland getting tremendous bite, coming off of the bottom. It was a drag race to the finish and as someone else said, until they were a few feet from the line yo still didn't know who was going to win. Dave beat him back to the line and the crowd was stunned and when the realization set over them that Dave had pulled it off, they went wild! How could it get any better than that? Their old track favorite snatching a win away from the current best sprint driver in the country, on the last turn of the last lap.

Jerry
This is not the first time DD won on the last lap of the last turn this year at LPS! Go DD next week's Putnamville Clash should be Awesome!

Danny 24

7/24/11, 9:22 AM   #28
Rogue-9

Thought Windom had it. Figured he'd have the momentum off of four. I wonder if he hit the cushion wrong.

7/24/11, 12:10 PM   #29
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

I'm not sure there was a right way to hit that cushion, I surprised it only claimed one victim last night. It had to be every bit of 8-10" tall coming out of 4

7/24/11, 1:19 PM   #30
outlaw13
Inactive Member

Looked to me like Windoms only mistake happened when he hit the cushion too late coming outta 4 which gave DD just enough momentum to get him passed at the flag stand. Wow! What a race!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > LPS updates