IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > need your thoughts!!
7/19/11, 4:36 PM   #21
Wingman

Despite my name I like both. My name is what is too only agitate the people on this site because. It is so bias that it should be called Indiana nonwing.com. On this site the people are close minded to any other form of racing. It would be intresting to ask this same question to people in Ohio.
Anyway back to your question. I grown to like non-wing due to proximity to where I live. Drivers are more personable as well.
Wings I grew up with watching at the burg. I love the speed.
Regardless of what people parade racing exists on both sides.
Posted using Mobile Device

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Diggsy
7/19/11, 4:58 PM   #22
Re: need your thoughts!!
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

some are intelligent, some are right on and then some just don't have a clue...lot of different answers...lot's of good quotes...going to give it a couple more days to fester...keep'm coming

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

7/19/11, 5:00 PM   #23
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Two winged drivers take off the wing and finish first and second. Imagine that? I could have swore I read on here USAC drivers were the best in the world.
I never said nothing about the best. Just pointing out Jac won the equivalent of four Kings Royals in one non wing race.

As for prefference, Yeah its non wing to view.

As for driving, I think both make a much more rounded driver. The winged guys say things happen in slow motion NW with tells me it speeds up their reaction times and decision making with the Wing.

The NW helps you find the edge and hold it where a wing might help you through tough situations

I also think the little guy has a better shot at NW. many times it isn't necessary to have absolute top equiptment and 950 HP. I THINK DD is proving that fact this year more than any other of the past ten or so for him.

I do know that a couple years ago WoO if you didn't have the absolute best of everything, You were running for tenth. We're playing Catch Up this season "THE KING"

One thing about Eldora, its run the same winged or not, Jac was good winged or not before the Million. Stevie is fast there and at times looked like a fish out of water but was able to get comfortable with it and run the wall NW. It paid off.

I just don't see much passing in Winged racing. Expecially if there aren't two distinct separate grooves. It gets a lot better the longer a race goes green as the leader no longer has the only clean air on the track. It also can be exciting. I've watched races at Eldora where the leader half tracked em but by mid race the crowd was acoming and battles ensued.

Question, Could Donny Shatz race a sprint, midget and champ, Both dirt and pavement, Win in both and finish top five in all three?
Its one reason I see the USAC guys being competitive in the bigger leauges over the WoO guys. Blaneys had some success and of course he won the champ car division of USAC. IMHO the rear engine thing is a moot point, Its a RACE CAR and whats more important in say INDY is AERODYNAMICS which isn't normally a part of NW racing

Id say USAC is the toughest overall series but not toughest to win races at.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/19/11 at 5:04 PM.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Wayne Davis
7/19/11, 5:18 PM   #24
illiNOISE

I come from a wing background, but prefer NW to wing. That said, I don't understand why some feel the need to pit one style against the other. We're kind of a niche sport, so we need to stick together.
Posted via Mobile Device

4 members like this post: Dannypollock24, McInturff Racing, Sprints!
7/19/11, 5:54 PM   #25
Wrench Turner

Both have their attributes. On one hand, winged guys have to have quicker reaction times because of the speeds and quick closing times to the car in front of them, but the non-winged guys have to work the throttle more to be fast. I really enjoy that fact that a guy doesn't have to drop as much money into a non wing motor to be competitive too (at least on a small track anyway). Don't get me wrong, motor sure helps though. I've always preferred non wing just due to the fact that the racing is generally closer most of the time. The wings stretch out to single file a lot and you're basically watching a slot car race at that point.

Matt Smedley

7/19/11, 6:00 PM   #26
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

I enjoy watching both traditional and winged sprints run. One thing that I would like to see done is make sure that all heat races and features are run with some invert. Make the top dogs that night earn their way to the front. More racing to get to that feature event. That is one reason why I have enjoyed the Knoxville Nationals. They invert the field while other sanctioning bodies do not.

Last Monday nights race at Twin Cities had the heats set to run straight up. Not the foremat that in my opinion produces the best racing either wing or traditional. That is how the late models for many series are run and some folks like that while others don't. I also enjoy a good late model race as well.

I attend more traditional sprint races in a year than winged. Most of that is due to Indiana being a traditional sprint car state. In my opinion, just enjoy what you have and get out to the local tracks as much as possible.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

5 members like this post: interpreter66, jim goerge, Russ, SHORTBUS, skids59
7/19/11, 6:52 PM   #27
Dannypollock24

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 30 +

I have always been a fan of both but thought what I hear people say wings for are ******* until I became a Driver of both my thought has changed since then after my accident on a ATV in 01 left me Paralyzed from my chest down in 03 I had got a non wing sprint I drive with Had Controls that took a season and a half to make work perfect as can be It is hard but works for me now but I always ran non wing I have Ran every Dirt Sprint Track in Indiana besides TSS I wish I could make it there. Racing non wing has been a job it's not easy racing these cars it's amazing how the car feels sideways wheels up working the throttle getting blasted with mud running on the edge for real it don't take much until your upside ways down end over end that stuff hurts a bit! I love non wing it's more challenging! I say this after years of non wing racing because I did strap on a Wing and Ran with the ALL STARS at Terre Haute it was my first time to race at that place I had a bit before I got fast learning that I can run full throttle at a concrete wall and just turn left around the corner it went It was a lot of fun and scary at the same time as fast as you can go with Wings I Wish I could do it full time it was much easier for me at least cause by the end of the night I was as fast as the rest of the guys! They are both great but I guess I Have to say is It takes more balls to run NON WING Full time!

Just my opinion from my experience! I have Respect for both as they are both very Dangerous as Joey Saldana's wreck proves!

Danny 24

7/20/11, 12:43 AM   #28
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I never said nothing about the best. Just pointing out Jac won the equivalent of four Kings Royals in one non wing race.

As for prefference, Yeah its non wing to view.

As for driving, I think both make a much more rounded driver. The winged guys say things happen in slow motion NW with tells me it speeds up their reaction times and decision making with the Wing.

The NW helps you find the edge and hold it where a wing might help you through tough situations

I also think the little guy has a better shot at NW. many times it isn't necessary to have absolute top equiptment and 950 HP. I THINK DD is proving that fact this year more than any other of the past ten or so for him.

I do know that a couple years ago WoO if you didn't have the absolute best of everything, You were running for tenth. We're playing Catch Up this season "THE KING"

One thing about Eldora, its run the same winged or not, Jac was good winged or not before the Million. Stevie is fast there and at times looked like a fish out of water but was able to get comfortable with it and run the wall NW. It paid off.

I just don't see much passing in Winged racing. Expecially if there aren't two distinct separate grooves. It gets a lot better the longer a race goes green as the leader no longer has the only clean air on the track. It also can be exciting. I've watched races at Eldora where the leader half tracked em but by mid race the crowd was acoming and battles ensued.

Question, Could Donny Shatz race a sprint, midget and champ, Both dirt and pavement, Win in both and finish top five in all three?
Its one reason I see the USAC guys being competitive in the bigger leauges over the WoO guys. Blaneys had some success and of course he won the champ car division of USAC. IMHO the rear engine thing is a moot point, Its a RACE CAR and whats more important in say INDY is AERODYNAMICS which isn't normally a part of NW racing

Id say USAC is the toughest overall series but not toughest to win races at.
I think Donny Schatz would be fast in anything he tried. He is not one of my favorites. He can be a little arrogant and somewhat abrasive but he is a very talented racer, one of the best. The main reason you don't see many WoO drivers making the jump to NASCAR is most of them just want to be professional sprint car drivers. They are not racing with the WoO to use it as a stepping stone to some other form of racing like 99 percent of the kids in USAC are. A few might give it a try if the opportunity presented itself but they are not actively pursueing it. As far as which series has the best drivers and is tougher to win in. I suggest you ask Tony Stewart, Kasey Kahne, Ricky Stenhouse, Brad Sweet, Steve Kinser, Sammy Swindell, Jac Haudenschild, Danny Smith, Jack Hewitt or even Bill Rose or Daron Clayton that question. I'm pretty confident what their answer will be. As Sammy once said "Winged drivers win non-wing races all the time, non-wing drivers never win winged races".

7/20/11, 2:00 AM   #29
sprinter14

I have driven both extensively over the last 13 seasons. And I see it like this, running with a wing is like screwin with a condom, sure it's safer, but it just doesn't feel right.

Someone earlier mentioned that non wing drivers were more personable..........that is a 110% correct statement. Saturday night at K-C Raceway, for the first time in the tracks history, sprint drivers actually pushed their cars into the general admission section when the race was over and stayed for 2 hours signing autographs and putting kids in their car..........and not so coincidentally, it was the first non wing race in 17 years there........

7/20/11, 12:16 PM   #30
Wrench Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter14 View Post
I have driven both extensively over the last 13 seasons. And I see it like this, running with a wing is like screwin with a condom, sure it's safer, but it just doesn't feel right.........
I think you may get quoted on that one.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > need your thoughts!!