Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute
1/29/11, 12:00 PM   #21
Re: Terre Haute
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno Don View Post
I talked to a guy from TH and asked him about the possible demise of the fairground.
He said that he has heard nothing concrete about it being sold. He also said that it does not surprise him at all, because he said the fairgrounds is a money losing operation on an annual basis.
The Action Track is an awesome facility and it would be a shame to lose it. In my opinion fairboards should not be aloud to get their gready hands on race tracks. Most Fairboards around this country are a joke and are a bunch of corupt idots. It may not be a money loss if the fairboard didn't have the track in their hands and taking money of the "TOP". They have ruined to many race tracks across the U.S. and I prefer not to lose another one; and a great one at T.H.A.T.....

> My feelings torwards any fairboard that has their hands on a race track and doesn't give a d@mn > <
Last edited by nathans1012; 1/29/11 at 12:02 PM.

2 members like this post: JEFFSTOY, terrehautian
1/29/11, 12:38 PM   #22
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

I was at a banquet last night and was introduced to a gentleman from Terre Haute. From what I was told he is a mover and shaker there and we were talking about a completely different subject. He asked me if I ever get over to Terre Haute and I told him that I did. He asked why we came over and I told him that we were race fans and attended events at THAT.

He said that even though he isn't a race fan, he likes the idea of the Action Track staying open. He mentioned that it has been a real struggle with a number of promoters over the last 10 years. He said that he thought that when Mike King and his group took over the promtional duties that it would be a success. He said that Mike knows so many people and that if that group couldn't make it happen, now it doesn't look good and he hasn't heard of much interest.

He said that the land value was much greater for development than it is for a fairgrounds facility. He said that if the oval track and drag strip go under used, that as the economy improves the push will be on the fairboard to either utilize it to its potential or sell it. I would certainly be sad to see a facility with all of its history be shuttered.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

2 members like this post: IndyBound, jim goerge
1/29/11, 12:53 PM   #23
terrehautian

I think a big problem that King had was track prep....the races never seemed to be ran on time due to track prep still going on really late. The O'Conners had track prep down on the track in no time. Races where ran on time and in a good amount of time and didn't take forever. Maybe even having some support classes (I know modifieds are not exactly sprint cars, but they are fun to watch when I was at LPS). Even the modified race they held there was pretty good racing.

For everyone, lets just hope we never have to think of THAT as a memory because that would suck.

2 members like this post: Dirtfan, IndyBound
1/29/11, 9:29 PM   #24
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

King,hamilton,dorsett...had no clue on anything except trying to make a quick buck
Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: Hubie, JEFFSTOY, jim goerge
1/29/11, 11:25 PM   #25
racephoto1

don't believe evrything you read in a newspaper.The people I know said from what they heard NOTHING is set in stone at Terre Haute yet, and things may be a lot better then what we think they are. We'll just have to wait and see.

3 members like this post: cowboyhar69, IndyBound, terrehautian
1/30/11, 12:06 AM   #26
Pine

Terre Haute is one of the few tracks where you can feel the history as soon as you walk into the track...( that I've been too)...I'd hate to see it go by the way side...
Last edited by Pine; 1/30/11 at 7:39 AM.

2 members like this post: billwill, dkdorkboy
1/30/11, 10:59 AM   #27
SCOTT M

THAT is where my dad first took me to see sprints some 35 years ago. Also where I first took my son (and wife). Sure hope to introduce at least one more generation there. I agree...You can feel the history there.

1 member likes this post: billwill
1/30/11, 3:12 PM   #28
terrehautian

I remember watching Saturday Night Thunder with my Grandpa on ESPN when they were at Terre Haute. Just wish I would have been into Sprint cars more back then and had my grandpa take me to the track. It might have been pre Allison era also, so it might have been fun to watch.

1 member likes this post: SCOTT M
1/31/11, 3:47 PM   #29
Rapid Rick

Probably haven't missed over a handful of USAC races at the Action Track since the late 60's. Want to know how I feel about the place? Ask a Cubs fan how they would feel about the demolition of Wrigley Field.

1/31/11, 5:32 PM   #30
BrentTFunk

I talked to some people who were involved in promoting THAT last year on Saturday, and they said they didn't know they weren't coming back. All this may just be speculation.

3 members like this post: cowboyhar69, jim goerge, terrehautian
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute