IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Sprints all Dirt in 2011
12/4/10, 2:41 PM   #21
Re: USAC Sprints all Dirt in 2011
dustbowl

The problem with pavement is not the cars, there are plenty of pavement cars out there, it is the expense of running them, tire costs per pavement race are very high, and to be competitve you need new tires and testing, and the costs of those two things alone more than offset the purse of pavement races.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, spankytoo
12/4/10, 4:34 PM   #22
racephoto1

Aero, I can't believe I'm siding with Duke , but on this one I am. The good days were better, but you weren't here in the 70's. Salem would run twin 50's, or Quad 25's, midgets being 2 of the 25's. There were so many cars , you'd run a semi and some guys wouldn't make the A.

Yeah the same old stories I know, but the old days were better in a lot of ways.Actually better than you'll ever know.It was great being a 14 year old working on race cars back then.

4 members like this post: FishBurger, Need For Speed, old timer 38, Xflagman
12/4/10, 5:03 PM   #23
Pete166

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
There not smart enough to run the same car on pavement and dirt! We done it for 50 yr.! And we had plenty of cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Duke & Co. are right on this one

Let's give the dirt chassis a couple more inches of offset against the pavement chassis on the asphalt & Let er Rip

Same thing needs to happen with the Midgets

You should not have to have 43 combos of chassis & engines to run Sprints/Midgets

We need to get back to runnin Sprint Cars & Midgets & not this alphabet soup on multiple eng. chassis tire combos we have now across the country

You should be able to have 1 chassis & engine combo that is competitive on Dirt or Pavement ... or even with a wing nut on it if that's what floats yur boat LOLLLLLLL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 members like this post: Need For Speed, SUPERDUKE, Xflagman
12/4/10, 5:03 PM   #24
SUPERDUKE
Banned

We did and you can ask jones foyt jr unser (ect) one car same frame pavement and dirt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Was you there? If so you would understand!

4 members like this post: dirtball, Need For Speed, rdzsprint, Xflagman
12/4/10, 5:12 PM   #25
Pete166

Quote:
We did and you can ask jones foyt jr unser (ect) one car same frame pavement and dirt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Was you there? If so you would understand!
I did watch those guys U listed above & SuperDuke also LOL

Myself I raced with CRA 85-90

12/4/10, 6:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete166 View Post
I did watch those guys U listed above & SuperDuke also LOL

Myself I raced with CRA 85-90
Ok, I was trying to ignore this post as we had the same discussion on the same rumor last year. But here goes.....

The problem is not the cars!

Ok, I'll say it again so those of you that didn't catch that can respond.

The problem is not the cars!

The chassis is the cheap part in the equation. (by the way, USAC allows the dirt cars more offset then the pavement cars.) There are plenty of pavement cars out there. Just look at the number of cars that tried to make the Little 500 last year (and the year before). And there's probably the same number sitting at home not wanting to spend the money it takes to make that race. In fact I'd go out on a limb and state there are probably 100 pavement cars in the Ohio, Michigan and Indiana area. And another 30-50 in the Southern states. Remember you have HOSS, AVSS, MSR (santioned by HOSS) and the Ohio 305 group all running. And except for just a couple of cars, they are all pure pavement cars. And they all have mostly full fields. The problem is the d**n tires! The four groups mentioned above all use the same tires. But USAC uses a different compound on three of the four corners. So if you want to try to run USAC one race, you have to buy at least three new tires. Remember the Salem race late this summer that had USAC and MSR both on the same night? Some of the MSR racing guys didn't make the feature. But even with a short USAC field, they were not allowed to try to run the USAC race. Why?...... TIRES!

Even if you made a rule that said you had to run a dirt chassis on pavement, most dirt guys have no desire to run the pavement. And the top teams would still have a pavement chassis. It would just look like a dirt chassis. But there would be subtle differences.

I've run dirt, I've run pavement. I've run with a wing and with out a wing on both surfaces. And even with my limited resourses, I own a dirt car and a pavement car. Believe me, it's not the car keeping the USAC fields short.

Tom Paterson

P.S. If the people that run the winged pavement races don't come up with a different tire rule, they will be facing the same problem within a few years.

2 members like this post: are39, K-Dawg30
12/4/10, 6:47 PM   #27
racinround

1121 We have a Winner!!
Last edited by racinround; 12/4/10 at 6:49 PM.

12/4/10, 7:14 PM   #28
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Today car owner choose to run dirt or pavement! Ask a woo team how much they spend a night on tires?????????????? I've seen them go thru 6 tires a night and blow out in heat races!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

You and mower man needs another bud!

12/4/10, 7:19 PM   #29
racinround

Quote:
Today car owner choose to run dirt or pavement! Ask a woo team how much they spend a night on tires?????????????? I've seen them go thru 6 tires a night and blow out in heat races!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Soo...You think spending that kinda money on tires is a good thing Denny?

12/4/10, 7:25 PM   #30
sp6967

progress people.good old days huh, lets take the cages off too.some people thought it was a bad idea when roll cages were put on sprinters.some people want to pick and choose progress,well you morons it does not happen that way.

1 member likes this post: mowerman
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Sprints all Dirt in 2011