IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Traveling Non-Wing 1000cc Mini Sprints
5/16/10, 12:06 PM   #21
Re: Traveling Non-Wing 1000cc Mini Sprints
Jrp4554

Someone asked earlier what's the difference between a mini sprint and a TQ. As an owner of both the mini sprint is hands down easier to maintain. The mini sprint can be started and can run a stock motor that can be bought off of a wrecked bike relatively cheap. You can run a stock motor on a TQ but you have to have the transmission cut off and install a driveline. Therefore you have to be push started which isn't the easiest thing in the world if you have to work on one by yourself. Also in TQs you run a lot of county fair tracks in which TQs are the only racing done there. Some people enjoy this, I found it one of the turn offs. JMO either way you go there are good people running mini sprints just ase there are in TQs.

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Sorry BradleyRacing 86 to get off topic. lol. I would be very interested in running some non wing. I know after the TC race that others feel the same.

5/16/10, 12:20 PM   #22
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
Would people follow a non wing traveling series? Most of us knew mini sprints were competitive with full midgets and that was shown last weekend at Vernon. The question is would people race and keep car counts up in a non wing series... I can't recall what Don Moore said about the cost of a full midget, but I'm guessing the top of the line mini is the third of the price with just as good racing. With wings being harder to get, and two winged series, would one series be better off non wing? What's peoples thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Personally, I won't follow less than top level racing, Its nothing personal as any class can put on a good show, LBurg Mods are as exciting as racing gets sometimes but I know who most are at the local track, The sprints most people know from USAC, MSCS, KISS or their local track, Thats the only way they get a following I don't think a mini organization is going to have names as common as Darland, Hines, Stanbrough ect.

However, I watched the minis compete NW against the midgets at Vernon, I enjoyed it, I knew a couple who had raced LBurg and it was exciting. Im not actually sure how competitive a Mini is to a full up midget due to the tire rules but it worked for me. I don't know why the fast as you can possibly go winged series doesn't do it for me but after watching the TQs last night throw sliders, pull left wheels and pass and gain on each other. WELL I ENJOYED IT!

I wouldn't say they'd have a big group following, I would say there might be more who'd appreciate them more. For me it'd be a class Id watch given the racings like I think it would be.

Chuck

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
Well facts are facts non wing racing builds better drivers. Minis are a training ground for tomorrows best and those who don't have enough cash to go full size (like me). We could even go half and half.. Most of the drivers who come out of minis go to full size non wing sprint cars... Just saying.
Posted via Mobile Device
Call me insane but I don't agree with the NW drivers are better just from always racing NW, Stevie Smith who'd never driven a NW race finished second in the Mopar Million and they (Steve Smith Sr.) didn't even know how to setup the car NW. They ask around but were still on their own.

Most of the best drivers have done some of both over their careers and Winged actually helps the NW is several instances, Mainly being smooth and hooking up on a slick track.

Chuck
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 5/16/10 at 12:28 PM.

1 member likes this post: TQ29m
5/16/10, 12:34 PM   #23
HinesFan

I will be moving back to Indiana from California this fall. Although it seems the ZX-12 I have I cannot race in the mid-west. I love the sound of non wing mini sprints. The California Lightning Sprints run 4-5 non wing races. I think the tracks really drive the races we have non wing. They want us to have the wings on when the non wing sprints are a part of the program. Bottom line...if i had a car I would race non wing vice winged. This is why I am contemplating going back to a 600 to run non wing weekly at Linton, Logan, or Peru.

5/16/10, 2:57 PM   #24
Bradleyracing86

Haha Chuck you always play hard to get... Everything has to start somewhere, not expecting minis to eclipse sprints or midgets. Simple stating that it's a training ground for up and coming drivers, and maybe it will produce big names like you mentioned.. It would be a better training ground if it was more diverse , wing and non wing. Mini springs out west even race on pavement a few times a year. I wouldn't expect you to lower your standards and watch minis over usac. I think this is going to make better shows for fans and more benificial for drivers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by Bradleyracing86; 5/16/10 at 4:37 PM.

5/16/10, 7:15 PM   #25
Bradleyracing86

Montpeliar, Kokomo, Salem, and Waynesfield would be awesome tracks for non wing.
Posted via Mobile Device

5/16/10, 7:40 PM   #26
Rob Reimer

I understand why we run wings at the sprint car shows, but the nights we are with the tin tops would be a great time to go wingless.

5/16/10, 9:54 PM   #27
racer22r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1021gpa View Post
where can i get a feature winning $4000 mini sprint at? i have a buddy who has about 3 times that much in his and runs with the mmsa and has never run better than about 5th maybe i need to buy him of of those
The Bradley boys are right i sold my old 98 bailey mini sprint basicaly race ready with a stock gsxr 1000 engine in it for $3,000 this past winter and i won 3 features in that car last year one with AMSA at Lawrencburg and 2 back to back non wing races at 35 raceway. So if you look around you can buy a cheap mini sprint and if you keep the maintenance up on it you can run up front and win features with a $4000 car.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

sorry i got a little off topic but to comment on this subject i say lets do it i like non wing because i dont have that wing on top to worry about tearring it up and non wing is really awesome racing.

5/16/10, 10:42 PM   #28
garry47

i would do non wing. i also like the idea of non wing and wing series together. we ran some non wing in our 600 at 35 last year and on a slick track we ran right up with the 1000s, me and one other 600 finished 3rd and 4th against the 1000s. a non wing mini sprint series would be good because you could get 1000s and 600s

5/16/10, 10:49 PM   #29
slide22

I want to do it, but I don't trust half the people we race with with a wing, let alone without it.

5/17/10, 7:21 PM   #30
Bradleyracing86

3 shows in the works with some help from MMSA (non points Im ass-uming, looks as if there is another at logansport with help of AMSA..

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Traveling Non-Wing 1000cc Mini Sprints