IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kevin Miller experiment
8/16/09, 6:38 PM   #21
Re: Kevin Miller experiment
Kirk Spridgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy View Post
In response to spruett here are a few (and I know I will get flamed but I don't care):

1. Get to tracks were the racing will be great. No reason to have a "bigger and better than this track or that track" type mentality.

2. Drop the sanctioning fee so more tracks can have USAC there.

3. Co-sanction events instead of taking over events

4. Put rules inplace to limit costs.

5. Make the Silver Crown series the absolute premier division in USAC like it use to be. Get the series to be a truly national series by getting more events (both pavement and dirt).

6. Three words: Illinois Midget Week

7. Two words: Buckeye Nationals (again)

Those are just a few ideas.

Okay vultures, pick them apart :2:
Vukie - You're right. I was throwing credit to Staab, but the fact is that it DID happen under Miller's regime.

DWB - I agree with what you say in 4 & 7. They're apparently looking into what to do on both, but especially 4. Remember that the Buckeye Nationals imploded a while back, long before Miller, and it was a tough money-maker with two divisions, yet didn't pay any more than a standard purse. They're trying, and racers are preaching for, races that pay a little more than standard.

As for #1, the racing is great virtually everywhere they go now. There is nothing wrong with trying to go to places that make a positive display of USAC racing and have the ability to build into bigger events in the future. Again, the goal is to have more races that pay better, and I don't think a lot of places have the ability to do that. That's just my point of view, based on the requests of the racers and owners (the full-time, professionals being foremost in that group). If that's looked at as a "bigger and better" mentality, so be it. You have to go places that can support good shows and hopefully have nice facilities to put USAC racing in a good light.

2. Their sanctioning fee is not out of line at all. The biggest reason that USAC has a higher sanction fee which leads to them being bashed for it being too large is mainly because of their outstanding insurance plan. I won't get into that - but you all need to do some homework and find out how people like the McDaniels are helped when guys who get hurt at a lot of local tracks or other sanctions are left high and dry.

3. Belleville, Knoxville, Granite City, Prairie are all co-sanctions. What else can be done? Nobody wants to be the little brother. Calling POWRi a "National" Midget Series is extremely misleading, by the way...

5. That's just wishing for something that is not overly possible. That's a big purse, and a big cloud hanging over any promoter's head. If the Silver Crown Series can basically keep the races they have now, and maybe add a couple dirt races, that would be good. The return to Iowa and the race at Oswego were met with outstanding crowds.

More races at the current purse is not the answer. They need more events, so their drivers and teams can get more in return without the cost of running more races.

The biggest challenges are midgets and pavement. Those are pretty big problems, but they've also been on a downhill slide for a while. It will take some deep thinking and some time. And honestly, you can blame USAC for the Hut Hundred cancellation all you want, but it would have been a big stinker, and that is IF Terre Haute didn't cancel due to low car count. In all actuality, the Hut Hundred has not been right in quite a few years, and it would take a much better purse and a much better rules package to get guys back there. It's gonna be a challenge.

8/16/09, 6:49 PM   #22
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon View Post
Vukie - You're right. I was throwing credit to Staab, but the fact is that it DID happen under Miller's regime.
Kevin Miller took over on December 4th and the schedule was announced on December 6th. Yes, he was in charge but how much did he have to with it the schedule of the 2008 season? :2:

Spridge, you can give me grief the next time you see me.

"Tuesday, 04 December 2007

INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana, Dec. 4 -- The United States Auto Club (USAC) announced today that its Board of Directors has appointed Kevin Miller as CEO and president of USAC. The Board also announced that Jason Smith has been appointed senior vice-president of racing operations, reporting to Miller."

8/16/09, 6:56 PM   #23
DIRT-TRACK-JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenttfunk View Post
i think it is kevin miller and usac's fault that opening night of the tnt tour was rained out.

8/16/09, 7:26 PM   #24
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon View Post

DWB - I agree with what you say in 4 & 7. They're apparently looking into what to do on both, but especially 4. Remember that the Buckeye Nationals imploded a while back, long before Miller, and it was a tough money-maker with two divisions, yet didn't pay any more than a standard purse. They're trying, and racers are preaching for, races that pay a little more than standard.

As for #1, the racing is great virtually everywhere they go now. There is nothing wrong with trying to go to places that make a positive display of USAC racing and have the ability to build into bigger events in the future. Again, the goal is to have more races that pay better, and I don't think a lot of places have the ability to do that. That's just my point of view, based on the requests of the racers and owners (the full-time, professionals being foremost in that group). If that's looked at as a "bigger and better" mentality, so be it. You have to go places that can support good shows and hopefully have nice facilities to put USAC racing in a good light.

2. Their sanctioning fee is not out of line at all. The biggest reason that USAC has a higher sanction fee which leads to them being bashed for it being too large is mainly because of their outstanding insurance plan. I won't get into that - but you all need to do some homework and find out how people like the McDaniels are helped when guys who get hurt at a lot of local tracks or other sanctions are left high and dry.

3. Belleville, Knoxville, Granite City, Prairie are all co-sanctions. What else can be done? Nobody wants to be the little brother. Calling POWRi a "National" Midget Series is extremely misleading, by the way...

5. That's just wishing for something that is not overly possible. That's a big purse, and a big cloud hanging over any promoter's head. If the Silver Crown Series can basically keep the races they have now, and maybe add a couple dirt races, that would be good. The return to Iowa and the race at Oswego were met with outstanding crowds.

More races at the current purse is not the answer. They need more events, so their drivers and teams can get more in return without the cost of running more races.

The biggest challenges are midgets and pavement. Those are pretty big problems, but they've also been on a downhill slide for a while. It will take some deep thinking and some time. And honestly, you can blame USAC for the Hut Hundred cancellation all you want, but it would have been a big stinker, and that is IF Terre Haute didn't cancel due to low car count. In all actuality, the Hut Hundred has not been right in quite a few years, and it would take a much better purse and a much better rules package to get guys back there. It's gonna be a challenge.
1. I have a strong belief that there are many places USAC could go that would put them in a good light and have enough fans that would make it profitable, not just a sucess, but profitable. Morgan County Speedway is a prime example. There are alot of former attendees to Little Springfield there that would make a rush to MCS if USAC came there.

2. The sanctioning fee is high for these economic conditions and in general. I understand the insurance for the drivers is high but there are ways to cut costs in the fee department.

3. To me (IMHO) co sanctioning and take over are two different things. Knoxville Nationals, Gold Crown Nationals, and the Firemen's Nationals were all started by another club before being touted as USAC races. USAC being an equal partner is one thing but to be the prime club is a little far reaching. At times USAC is becoming the NASCAR of midget racing: the 800 pound gorilla in the room just with less stroke. Hey if we are running down series UMARA is not a national midget series either but they call themselves national midgets. Care to take a shot at them?

5. This is very possible to do. It just takes determination and commitment, something USAC has had alot of problems doing in the past few years.

No comment on #6? #6 would add another way of doing co-sanctioning with both POWRI and Badger.

8/16/09, 7:52 PM   #25
sprintcar62

They need to put Tony George in charge of USAC.

Last edited by sprintcar62; 8/16/09 at 7:57 PM.

8/16/09, 7:58 PM   #26
racerdog45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar62 View Post
They need to put Tony George in charge of USAC.
yeah because we all know how GREAT he has been on running a series based on a formula of oval racing with American drivers in American based cars.... I can see it now, Helio wins Eldora over Wahnica and they're running Dallara dirt cars with Honda power....lol

8/16/09, 7:59 PM   #27
dirtywhiteboy

To sprintcar62 You need to be banned for that comment/suggestion

8/16/09, 8:01 PM   #28
Klepper

I think what Spridge means regarding the National series is that they dont really travel anywhere. Ultimately in our type of racing you have USAC, WoO, ASCS (Nat'l), possibly the All Stars as National Series but only USAC, WoO and now ASCS Nat'l traveling virtually coast to coast. I think that by calling your series a national series when it really isn't is misleading. I think some series use the term "National Midgets" which is in reference to the "type" of midgets you see with USAC.

But the beauty of USAC is that they are truly a National Series... that's why they get the best of the best drivers and probably why alot of lower budget teams (unfortunately) choose not to race against them whether it be for big events mentioned if they are co-sanctioned or not. And probably the other reason many don't cross over to chase USAC points. I mean if it paid points for Powri or Badger or RMMRA or ARDC to come run Knoxville and/or Belleville... how many more cars we talking... i think not many.

I'm back from Knoxville and super tired... so if any of the above doesn't make sense im sorry.

8/16/09, 8:15 PM   #29
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klepper View Post
I think what Spridge means regarding the National series is that they dont really travel anywhere. Ultimately in our type of racing you have USAC, WoO, ASCS (Nat'l), possibly the All Stars as National Series but only USAC, WoO and now ASCS Nat'l traveling virtually coast to coast. I think that by calling your series a national series when it really isn't is misleading. I think some series use the term "National Midgets" which is in reference to the "type" of midgets you see with USAC.

But the beauty of USAC is that they are truly a National Series... that's why they get the best of the best drivers and probably why alot of lower budget teams (unfortunately) choose not to race against them whether it be for big events mentioned if they are co-sanctioned or not. And probably the other reason many don't cross over to chase USAC points. I mean if it paid points for Powri or Badger or RMMRA or ARDC to come run Knoxville and/or Belleville... how many more cars we talking... i think not many.

I'm back from Knoxville and super tired... so if any of the above doesn't make sense im sorry.
If that is what is implied by the term "National" then I would agree that they are probably not considered national series.

Rob, back in 2005 there was a healthy number of cars for the Knoxville Midget Nationals. It was a points event for BMARA, POWRI, ARDC, SMRS and RMMRA. I know first hand because I was there. USAC coming has actually lowered the car count iun the years since then.

2 members like this post: badgerfan, SUPERDUKE
8/16/09, 8:19 PM   #30
Klepper

i realize the car count was bigger... now all the big dogs are there in their national cars... so its either economy or those drivers and teams dont wanna race when they go up against the best... or they are biased against USAC for their own reasons... either way they arent there.

In the case of Knoxville... the track contacted USAC to take over the event... that i know for sure.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kevin Miller experiment