IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Future of Midget Racing
2/12/09, 12:02 AM   #21
Re: The Future of Midget Racing
hogan6

Don I understand your dilemma. Huge passion for the sport which lacks any real direction. 40K engines racing for maybe $2500 TO WIN. These ultra wealthy parents who are convinced their son is the next coming will foot any bill to give 'em a shot. USAC and Bob East deserve most of the credit for the midget demise. But, car counts are down everywhere.

2/12/09, 12:09 AM   #22
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon watson View Post
no kidding. I think don brings some very good points and its sad that someone that voices his oppinion to try and help the stupid outragous cost of racing in general gets bashed as bad as he does. I guess people are just plain blind by spending all that money especially on a midget and then turning around and trying to justify it by slamming someone that has a midget and trying to make it cheaper for him to run and compete.
i have said that for years! But the powers to be don't give a damm! We used to have over a 150 midgets in in. Ill. Ohio mich wis and we had cora umra usac badger csra you could own a midget for $ 2500 some less! And race where ever !! Over 50 races a year! Its over forget it!

2/12/09, 12:14 AM   #23
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
I SAID TO YOU AND WILL TELL YOU TO YOUR FACE QUIT YOUR BITCHIN ABOUT IT!!!!!
Don't read my posts. Real simple.

2/12/09, 12:19 AM   #24
Brandon Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
i have said that for years! But the powers to be don't give a damm! We used to have over a 150 midgets in in. Ill. Ohio mich wis and we had cora umra usac badger csra you could own a midget for $ 2500 some less! And race where ever !! Over 50 races a year! Its over forget it!
$$$$$
Last edited by Brandon Watson; 2/12/09 at 7:31 AM.

2/12/09, 10:00 AM   #25
KKinser99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dant View Post
Cheap,reliable ,350hp Mazda rotary? show me! builders tell me mazda at that hp lifespan is measured with a stop watch
Actually the mazda wankel is very capable of 300+ horsepower with peripheral porting and non turbo. Early rotary models had apex seal problems, but new improved materials and designs have made these engines more efficient. Rob Golden of Pineapple racing in oregon has done some oval track applications in the past and had great success. Rotary engines have been banned in most organizations. makes no sense! Midget industry is big money, owners sink upwards of 40,000 in 4 cylinders when you could have a 410 for the same price or cheaper.
Big money people make the rules! And nothing will change as long as these big money people dont run out of cash.

2/12/09, 10:44 AM   #26
AsianPersuasian

Boost in, apex seals out...if you can keep the mazda running for more than 3 days in a year haha

actually i'd like to see the mazda's in a midget app also

2/12/09, 11:54 AM   #27
DonMoore10

Corporate greed. Series sponsors, kickbacks, payoffs for a monopoly, special favors. The corporations keep getting bigger and bigger, so many race officials that they are tripping over each other, big haulers owned by the corporate showing up at race tracks as an administrative hub. Charging owners/drivers (the main attraction/entertainers) a fee to entertain the crowd.

On the other side of the fence, the purse has stayed the same for as long as I can remember and the $40,000 engines keep coming and the secret deals keep rolling. Nobody's talking about what's being exchanged $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

The midget owners and drivers are to blame. They keep going back for more and more and more. It reminds me of a married couple with an alcoholic husband. The husband gets drunk 24/7, beats up on the wife and she turns around and buys more booze for the guy.

One of the big problems in short track racing is the fact that owners/drivers are not organized. Never have been. That's why we are being Sh%T on. The corporation knows they can get away with it without a penalty. Kind of like the family dog. The dog will try to get away with almost anything unless there's a penalty involved, somebody to keep things in perspective.

So is the answer a union of some sort? There is strength in numbers. One or two people coming forward and bi^ching won't get anywhere. No pressure on the corporation allows the fox to stay in the hen house.

And then there weren't any!!! Yeah... no midget races left. Sounds like a great ending to all of this! You're 1.00 midget will become a lawn ornament. It's coming folks. It's been coming for years and the recession has eccelerated it. In a year or two (maybe sooner) Sun Prairie may be a memory, housing development or a football stadium. BMARA has been following the big box example and it's finally caught up with them. Yeah... no midget races left. Where were you when you could have done something about?????????? And to the five or six people that continue to come on this message board and try to negate what I have to say, you're day is coming. When there are no races left, and we are close to that scenario right now, you won't have to worry about me or the other midget owners!! Yeah... no midget races left.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 2/12/09 at 12:03 PM.

2/12/09, 12:48 PM   #28
pgray

The Future Of Midget Racing

Don Moore may be right ... there may not be a future other than the continued contraction like that being seen in the current financial crisis. Maybe , just maybe , there is no fix. Some things are too far gone. It may have to be totally reinvented on another day.

Another thread here asks what can be done to bring new fans to the sport. It receives the usual thoughts posted time and again. There probably isn't any thing that will correct that problem either. I'm not seeing solutions to these problems.

When the unemployment rate now nearing 8% reaches 10% , we will have the same number out of work as were during the Great Depression when 1 in every 4 were jobless and at a rate of 25%. We will be there soon .. probably just after this '09 racing season gets in full swing. The outlook for all forms of motor racing is not good.

The story of 2009 has just begun. The face of our sport will be unrecognizable by year's end. Much of what we know today in every industry will not survive !

:icon_smile_blackeye

2/12/09, 1:14 PM   #29
DonMoore10

Siner and Brown (POWRi) have a wonderful window right now to step out of the box and come up with a short term solution to help the racers out in this economy. Will they do it or continue to follow the Big Box like BMARA?

2/12/09, 1:18 PM   #30
Kirk Spridgeon

I want to know who is spending everyone else into the ground in BMARA? If rules have not changed, but things are more expensive, surely somebody must have upped the ante and outspent everyone up there to win, forcing everyone else to do the same. Who was it?

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Future of Midget Racing