IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Outlaw Origins
11/1/21, 2:19 PM   #21
Re: Outlaw Origins
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmakin View Post
All were wingless. Boyd was driving the Kenny Woodruff 21. No, I wasn't there but saw that combination race a bunch at West Capital back in the day.
Thanks for the clarification. It would have been awesome if he beat wingers!
Back to the original idea, I remember reading Karl Kinser at some point saying he wouldn't run a wingless car anymore because of safety issues. Thats probably still true with a lot of the WoO teams, which would make a "mixed" schedule impossible, as much as we'd like it. Even The Great Larson doesn't want to run wingless any more (or does his NASCAR team forbid it?)

11/1/21, 2:59 PM   #22
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Thanks for the clarification. It would have been awesome if he beat wingers!
Back to the original idea, I remember reading Karl Kinser at some point saying he wouldn't run a wingless car anymore because of safety issues. Thats probably still true with a lot of the WoO teams, which would make a "mixed" schedule impossible, as much as we'd like it. Even The Great Larson doesn't want to run wingless any more (or does his NASCAR team forbid it?)
If you notice Larson usually runs for people he has a past friendship with, when he runs open wheel cars. Although he had success in non wing cars, he didn't really run them a lot. Some of the people he had the most success with aren't involved any more. A few years ago I asked him if his contract didn't allow him to drive them. He said no, he could. Not sure about today.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, Will Shunk
11/1/21, 5:33 PM   #23
dsc1600

Outlaws just announced the 2022 schedule. 2 new $100k to win races (Husets and Eldora HBO) plus $1m point fund. I don't see them taking the wings off anytime soon.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, flagboy55, luckybuc97, PIT CART
11/1/21, 6:02 PM   #24
revjimk

You're right!
Not gonna happen...I wish they'd get rid of the 3 point shot in basketball too, but that ain't happening either....

11/1/21, 6:09 PM   #25
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
If you notice Larson usually runs for people he has a past friendship with, when he runs open wheel cars. Although he had success in non wing cars, he didn't really run them a lot. Some of the people he had the most success with aren't involved any more. A few years ago I asked him if his contract didn't allow him to drive them. He said no, he could. Not sure about today.
I saw Larson win the Ultimate Challenge (wingless) at Oskaloosa twice. I think I vaguely recall him & Rico running at Kokomo, but i might be hallucinating on that one....

11/1/21, 6:12 PM   #26
revjimk

Yea, he won at Osky in 2011 & 2012, in the Hoffman #69 Mean Green car. http://kylelarsonracing.com/old/2011...eChallenge.htm
Still wondering about Kokomo... its been a while

11/1/21, 6:17 PM   #27
revjimk

Yea, he's run Kokomo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyRBl4_4uHI
Not sure when I was there, I might be able to look it up. I kept a log when I used to migrate cross country every summer

11/1/21, 6:19 PM   #28
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Yea, he won at Osky in 2011 & 2012, in the Hoffman #69 Mean Green car. http://kylelarsonracing.com/old/2011...eChallenge.htm
Still wondering about Kokomo... its been a while
The people who worked on the Hoffman car don't maintain that car anymore. Brady and his guys do. Kyle ran a few times at Kokomo in a car sponsored by Abreu Vineyards. Never saw Rico run non wing at Kokomo. Only remember him running at non wing at Calistoga.

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
11/1/21, 6:40 PM   #29
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
The people who worked on the Hoffman car don't maintain that car anymore. Brady and his guys do. Kyle ran a few times at Kokomo in a car sponsored by Abreu Vineyards. Never saw Rico run non wing at Kokomo. Only remember him running at non wing at Calistoga.
What about Midgets? Did Rico run them at Kokomo?

11/1/21, 6:57 PM   #30
opnwhlmnd

When Larson crashed the Hoffman car during Eldora 4 Crown and can't remember the exact year I looked at my Frolic friends and said "that will be the last time we see Larson in a non-wing sprint." It was a true statement. It was either 2016 or 2017.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, luckybuc97, racenut69
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Outlaw Origins