IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bye bye Goodyear, AGAIN, WoO to discontunue use
8/16/12, 11:36 PM   #21
treecitytornado

I raced with an open tire rule with USAC and many local tracks in the early 2000s and it worked great! USAC didn't go to a spec right rear only until 2007 or 2008. Paragon and the Buckeye Outlaw Sprint Series have an Open Tire Rule that works great as well. I have heard rumors that their may be another local Indiana track going back to an Open Tire rule next season. That would be great!
It makes all 3 manufacturers get serious about making their product the best and most reasonably priced. I don't think their is anything wrong with that!

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: Stevensville Mike
8/17/12, 12:21 AM   #22
Re: Bye bye Goodyear, AGAIN, WoO to discontunue u
Stevensville Mike

Call me a novice. Call me a fan. But more importantly, I am the guy who pays money to sit in the seats and watch, like a lot of other guys and gals.

To me (the fan) I see a spec tire rule as trying to save money for whatever series is using it/them. Period. Whomever supplies the tires puts a little more money into the kitty for all of the teams to pull off of. It isn't a matter of better tires for the supplier. It is a matter of getting your product out there for all to see at your expense. It isn't competition.

What I don't like with spec tires is the elimination of This vs. That and the continued watering down of competition. If we want to save money, let's all go to spec engines. Spec chassis. Spec drivers. And sooner or later, you will get spec fans and everything will just slowly die in a death spiral of boredom.

So, I say, open tire rule! I tip my purple hat and raise my glass to the right at Hoosier Tire Headquarters every time I pass through Lakeville as I am headed down south to the races in the great state of Indiana! Nothing I'd like to see better than someone running Hoosiers taking a bite out of the -ss of someone running something else! If they don't like it in Akron, man up or bail out.

Goodyear: Run out of F1 by Michelin. Run out of Indy Cars by Firestone/Bridgestone. Soon to be run out of sprint cars (again). Luckily they have enough $$$ to keep their foothold in NASCAR.

Goodyears when you want to race. Hoosiers when you want to win.

8/17/12, 1:34 AM   #23
slick01

Race Count This Year: 31
Race Count Last Year: 48

I am of the opinion that Goodyear as a company overall is in serious trouble. That may affect all of their operations. Regardless, there is a distinct difference between the wing and non-wing. Lance Dewease shed a lot of light on a single tire rule in regards to the racing in PA. It has unhooked the cars enough to where they have to work on the cars to get them to work. Granted there are other rules that are in play, but the results in the recent open tire races in PA should be an indicator.

8/17/12, 2:56 AM   #24
Stevensville Mike

Ahhh.... unhooking the cars. Thanks for bringing that to the table.

The easiest way to do that is to stop looking the other way and enforcing the ban on traction control.

Open tire rule - as a fan. You bring yours. We'll bring ours.

1 member likes this post: I Miss Manzy
8/17/12, 6:41 AM   #25
Keith Ford

Paragon Speedway has never had a tire rule, its run-watcha-brung

3 members like this post: D.O., Dannypollock24, koolaid89
8/17/12, 7:05 AM   #26
tim brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Ford View Post
Paragon Speedway has never had a tire rule, its run-watcha-brung
And that is why you get the car count you get. Great JOB Keith Ford & great racing at Pargon Speedway.

8/17/12, 9:35 AM   #27

"Spec Tires" do not save teams money. It may just allow them to spend more money somewhere else on the car. I always laugh when I read people talking about this tire or that tire will get x amount of races out of it. Then I show up to the track and the guy that wins put on a brand new tire that night and its now junk. The only thing a "spec tire" does is put more money in the Promotor or track owners hands.

2 members like this post: mscs20, oljonesy
8/17/12, 10:58 AM   #28
treecitytornado

Amen!

Posted via Mobile Device

8/17/12, 12:05 PM   #29
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
"Spec Tires" do not save teams money. It may just allow them to spend more money somewhere else on the car. I always laugh when I read people talking about this tire or that tire will get x amount of races out of it. Then I show up to the track and the guy that wins put on a brand new tire that night and its now junk. The only thing a "spec tire" does is put more money in the Promotor or track owners hands.
I too, never understood the reasoning, or lack of, a "spec" tire, if the track does get a "cut" from using them, very little trickles down to the guy buying them, and I'm also a firm believer, that not all cars, and or drivers, do well on the "spec" tire, plus, if you have a tire in your trailer, that you feel can help you on a given track, you can't use it, because it isn't the tire of the day. If someone wants to use a softer, harder, AR, GY,H, it is, after all, their money, why dictate something else that they "have" to use, just "because"? The less involved the tire companies get involved, the better, as far as I'm concerned, if a team gets a "deal" with one, for putting a decal on their car, good for them, to me, it's run what ya brung, and if it ain't the correct one, only one person to blame. Just sayin! Bob

3 members like this post: Dannypollock24, JEFFSTOY, mscs20
8/17/12, 1:14 PM   #30
Pine

Since these tire wars started, I always wondered why this scenerio wouldn't work. Say USAC wants $30,000 dollars (or whatever figure) from Hoosier. Why can't they get 10K from Hoosier, 10K from Goodyear and 10K from American Racer. The tires from all brands must Durometer between certain numbers to be legal. And may the best tire or tire deals win.
That seems like a win-win to me. USAC covers some operating cost from tire money and the Teams win with tire competition..

I guess the tire companies would want a monopoly so they don't have to work for their money...I don't know !!!
Last edited by Pine; 8/17/12 at 1:18 PM.

3 members like this post: interpreter66, midget96, schwarzracen27
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bye bye Goodyear, AGAIN, WoO to discontunue use