Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Springfield Observations
8/21/11, 10:22 PM   #21
Re: Springfield Observations
miledirt

Thanks for sharing that Jerry...good info fans need to know

8/22/11, 1:23 AM   #22
racephoto1

Springfield was excellent as miles go, and the sun did a lot more damage then the practice did. Years ago we'd get up to an hour of open practice.

As for the Champ Dirt Cars running with Indy, I had that discussion with Tony George when the IRL was forming. I was shooting a TQ race in Osgood Indiana, that Ed Carpenter was racing at. He asked my opinion on what I thought of the IRL. I said it was a great idea, but if you want americans in your series, make the dirt miles count toward your title. That way he could get every american driver he ever wanted.
Too bad he didn't do it.

As for you naysayers on here about the dirt / Indy deal , just remember the excitement in the open wheel ranks when it started. The local guys thought they had a chace to run the 500. You had guys like, Kinser , Hewitt, Kite , and Brian Tyler running. The hopes and aspirations were dashed when the engine lease program started.

2 members like this post: 38DD, team3521
8/22/11, 2:50 PM   #23
team3521

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
As for the Champ Dirt Cars running with Indy, I had that discussion with Tony George when the IRL was forming. That way he could get every american driver he ever wanted.
Too bad he didn't do it.
The hopes and aspirations were dashed when the engine lease program started.

It's really too bad that greed has to ruin everything! You won't see it come back again like it was.

8/22/11, 8:11 PM   #24
BrentTFunk

I love champ cars on a mile. The problem is when was the last dirt mile built? That unfortunately says alot about interest in these races. I think it is a shame, But these historic places and races are becoming a thing of the past. As for adding the dirt miles to indy cars, while I think it would be neat. I went to Indy when Hewitt and Kinser raced in the 500, and I bought 4 tickets for $25. I wish it created more interest,but it didn't. Heck on any given race night there are 100 fans on this site waiting for updates instead of going to the sprint and midget shows. Are these people going to fill any seats? I doubt it. With that said I hope Duqouin is a home run for cars, promoter, and fans. I would like to go but I am going to Sun Prarie on Sat. I can handle the 6 hour drive to Kokomo for Sun easier than the 8 hour drive to Duquoin followed by 7 hour drive home. I must be getting old.

1 member likes this post: Mud Packer
8/23/11, 9:04 AM   #25
sprntr

Fortunately, for me, Sun Prairie is about halfway between my place in Minnesota & Duquoin. Makes a great break in a LOOONG Drive!

steiny

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
8/23/11, 10:32 AM   #26
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
I have felt in the past that USAC doesn't do enough to promote their races. But I have to give them credit on Springfield. Dick Jordan took Tanner Swanson and I to Springfield Wed. We did 2 phone interviews before we left, then did 2 TV interviews, 2 newspaper, and 1 radio. Then we did another TV interview in Decatur on the way home. I know one of the news interviews was being sent to Champaign. They had tried for another newspaper in Decatur but wanted nothing to do with writing an article for the race.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hats off to USAC and Jerry and Tanner for their efforts to promote this race. I have lived in Springfield for over 30 years and this is the first time I remember having seen any pre-race publicity on our local TV station. It was actually a fairly long segment. Although the reporter focused on Jerry and Tanner being tied for the points, Jerry, great person that he is, mentioned that Levi and other excellent competitors would be there. All in all, I thought it was an excellent piece.

2 members like this post: billwill7, BrentTFunk
8/23/11, 11:25 AM   #27
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtnonwingfan View Post
Hats off to USAC and Jerry and Tanner for their efforts to promote this race. I have lived in Springfield for over 30 years and this is the first time I remember having seen any pre-race publicity on our local TV station. It was actually a fairly long segment. Although the reporter focused on Jerry and Tanner being tied for the points, Jerry, great person that he is, mentioned that Levi and other excellent competitors would be there. All in all, I thought it was an excellent piece.
I do not know Tanner but know that Jerry is good for the sport not only as a driver but an all around good guy.

Jerry #66j
stida.com

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dirtnonwingfan, Pat O'Connor Fan, Vukie
8/23/11, 1:26 PM   #28
onthegas7j

Race Count This Year: 48
Race Count Last Year: 31

to me there is nothing more awesome than champ cars on the mile... im 22 years old and have only missed 3 years at duquoin, one of the years I was at boot camp, another was deployed... i love springfield too!!!!

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
8/23/11, 1:46 PM   #29
SPRINTCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I love champ cars on a mile. The problem is when was the last dirt mile built? That unfortunately says alot about interest in these races. I think it is a shame, But these historic places and races are becoming a thing of the past.
Tony Stewart could have a mile track. Earl cut one out years ago, but I don't know if it's on part of the property Tony bought. ARCA stocks, Champ Cars, Big Block Mods, AMA Bikes all could be raced. Just being hopeful.

8/23/11, 2:59 PM   #30
ISF

I believe that the Baltes family still owns the property that the mile dirt track sets on.

It would be a long shot for a mile dirt track to be built from scratch these days. The mile tracks aren't appreciated like they once were. In the AD-HD dominated society that we now live in the shorter dirt tracks appeal to a larger segment of those who enjoy the rough and tumble aspect of the shorter tracks. The finesse, car control, tire management, unique driver skill and shear speed of the miles is largely wasted on those who want to see the boys and girls mix it up and clack wheels, et cetera, on the bull rings.

That, and the added track prep costs and added property size requirements all work against any miles being built anytime soon. I just want to see the ones we have preserved and raced on, but if some things don't change somewhat we may not be watching Silver Crown cars on these hallowed racetracks and that would make me very sad.

2 members like this post: Mud Packer, Pat O'Connor Fan
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Springfield Observations