IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver crown - who's driving what?
3/17/13, 8:47 AM   #21
Re: Silver crown - who's driving what?
rimrider69

all us silver crown fans need to bring someone with us that hasn't been to one also and do our part, talk the talk , walk the walk.

7 members like this post: BrentTFunk, bus man, duel, Hanna23, HardyBoysRacing, PAW, racegal
3/17/13, 9:01 AM   #22
BrentTFunk

Hey Ossucks we get it. You don't like them. The problem is even when the car counts were good is the crowds were not. Yes some places were, but as a whole these are high risk shows for promoters. I can remember when the Hoosier Hundred was last run in the fall and the crowds were terrible, so they went to 1 race in May. I love the dirt cars, but I am old. A lot of people do not find it as exciting as shorter race on a bullring, and all the gimmicks in the world are not going to change that. If bringing in NASCAR drivers would have helped the PRA would have a decent crowds. Their crowds and car counts were terrible. I have 4 of these races penciled in on my calender and I hope things go great. I love these races, but I am not a young man, and I think young people see many things they enjoy more.

6 members like this post: cowboyhar69, duel, fish, Jerry Shaw, Pat O'Connor Fan, smith19
3/17/13, 12:08 PM   #23
cowboyhar69

When I was at Todd Kanes in late January Todd and his dad Marty told me they were planning on running the dirt shows with their car.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

1 member likes this post: billwill7
3/17/13, 4:42 PM   #24
HardyBoysRacing

Race Count Last Year: 10

Brent, i agree with you, but there are young people that still enjoy them. I'm 23 and have been going with my dad to see them since i was a child. They may not be the most exciting cars and sometimes aren't the most action packed, but never in my life have i been so blown away as to see Jack Hewitt coming down the backstretch of Duquoin in turn 3 and jam it in full bore. That was pure beauty.

Posted via Mobile Device

3/17/13, 5:55 PM   #25
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

USAC needs to take a long, hard look at this series if they want it to survive. Maybe they should consider going to ASCS 360 engine rules? Or getting tracks like Williams Grove, Selinsgrove, Iowa State Fairgrounds etc. involved, even if they have to take a hit on the sanction fee. The owners took a huge hit for going to that bs gold crown business and it's time for USAC to make it right.

Posted via Mobile Device

3/17/13, 8:38 PM   #26
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTtoPA View Post
USAC needs to take a long, hard look at this series if they want it to survive. Maybe they should consider going to ASCS 360 engine rules? Or getting tracks like Williams Grove, Selinsgrove, Iowa State Fairgrounds etc. involved, even if they have to take a hit on the sanction fee. The owners took a huge hit for going to that bs gold crown business and it's time for USAC to make it right.

Posted via Mobile Device
I doubt if any of those tracks want them. They have run the Grove many years ago and it was a box office flop. I talked to Ralph Capitani at Knoxville and he explained that even though he loved the dirt cars and the non wing cars, it just doesn't sell in Iowa.

3/17/13, 8:46 PM   #27
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I doubt if any of those tracks want them. They have run the Grove many years ago and it was a box office flop. I talked to Ralph Capitani at Knoxville and he explained that even though he loved the dirt cars and the non wing cars, it just doesn't sell in Iowa.
Once again, it is all about supply and demand. If the silver crown cars were a consistent money maker, more promoters would want them. The promoters book what consistently makes them the most money.

What is the average fan at Williams Grove willing to pay to see? WOO show, PA Posse show or Silver crown show? Once again, the silver crown show is going to finish last in that contest for the average dirt track fan.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish
3/17/13, 8:54 PM   #28
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

If that's the attitude then just shelf them and reminisce about the good ol' days. A lot of PA fans want nothing but a winged 410 race with Rahmer, Dewease, and Hodnett. Some even decline to attend the WoO races. I only got to see the Silver Crown cars once at the 2006 Sumar disaster. Loved the cars but man that "race" was terrible.

Posted via Mobile Device

3/17/13, 9:42 PM   #29
sprntr

[QUOTE=Jonr;323026]The promoters book what consistently makes them the most money.QUOTE]

Most track operators will only book shows that are EASY to make money on. Damn few even know what PROMOTION is.

steiny

3/18/13, 7:06 AM   #30
BrentTFunk

I would say Bob Sargent is definetly a promoter.

3 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, fish, ronmil
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver crown - who's driving what?