IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Changing the Tradition of Being Oblivious (Indycar)
5/6/14, 6:46 AM   #21
Re: Changing the Tradition of Being Oblivious (Indycar)
johnnythunderhead
Banned

usac let nascar ruin the champ car division, hell they not only let them they abetted them

4 members like this post: davidm, monkeyboy, PAW, RetiredShoe
5/6/14, 7:17 AM   #22
wright59

I don't care what anybody says, The Indy 500 is still the Greatest spectacle in racing! I'm super pumped to hear back home in indiana one last time and glad my 16 year old son will be with me. He will race his 600 at U.S. 24 the night before and Indy on Sunday Morning and straight to Kokomo to finish with the sprints. Come on, Tell me how to get much of a better weekend than that.

7 members like this post: Crankin, dirt330, Indy, jjones752, mc/rider, RetiredShoe, speed bump
5/6/14, 7:32 AM   #23
PAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnythunderhead View Post
usac let nascar ruin the champ car division, hell they not only let them they abetted them
That's the smartest thing that you've EVER said on here!

5/6/14, 9:45 AM   #24
IndySprintCar

I saw this over at http://stevechasseymotorsportsinsurance.com/id3.html

Quote:
In 1983 I began my association with the Genesee Beer team owned By Dick Hammond from Buffalo, New York and managed by Galen Fox from Indianapolis. I drove all of the "Genesee Beer Wagon" cars for them, Sprint, Champ Dirt, and the Indy cars. I finished the 1983 Indy 500 in 11th position. I had many top ten finishes with our Chevrolet Stock Block powered car. I set the one and four lap qualifying records at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for a normally aspirated Push Rod Stock Block in 1985. In 1984 I won the prestigious "Hoosier Hundred" Dirt car race that is considered the Indy 500 for Dirt Cars.
That kind of story is why I paid attention to the 500 and when those days were over, that's when I stopped paying attention. Those days are long gone and they'll probably never be back. I could care less if they run on the oval or road course because the underlying nature of the sport has changed in a way that doesn't connect with me. I suppose I'm in the minority or else things wouldn't have changed.

4 members like this post: FishBurger, RetiredShoe, ronmil, speed bump
5/6/14, 4:54 PM   #25
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
Put engines back in front of the driver, then Americans will have a chance.
Restart the roadsters

3 members like this post: Danny Williams Sr., Fast132b, johnnythunderhead
5/6/14, 6:59 PM   #26
Indy

When dirt tracks were taken off the championship trail back in 71' time started running out for the sprint and midget drivers being the choice of car owners. Then the death of Mr. Hulman, and the creation of CART and road circuits, teams figured you could teach a road course ace to drive an oval easier than you teach a dirt guy to do road courses. Tony George tried to go back, but the media (you know who I mean) wouldn't support a return to the past and the golden era of the Big Cars and just Ovals, dirt or other wise. So here we are wanting to relive the past but sadly it ain't going to happen. I'm 60 now and going to my 35th 500 I started listening as a an 11 year old in 65' went to the track for the 1st time in 69' and I'm grateful for what I've experienced. You don't have to embrace change but you can't live in the past.

4 members like this post: Danny Williams Sr., mc/rider, RetiredShoe, wright59
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Changing the Tradition of Being Oblivious (Indycar)