IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo 4/29
4/29/12, 2:54 PM   #21
Re: Kokomo 4/29
racefan20

Evidently they didnt seal the track now its too wet to get on it to prepare it.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

4/29/12, 2:59 PM   #22
Danny Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Evidently they didnt seal the track now its too wet to get on it to prepare it.
Just got the word from this guy here. Now I need to explain to Sword Man II that we aren't going.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

4/29/12, 3:10 PM   #23
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

Well poo!
I waited till the last minute to leave.
Im about 1/2 way into the 2 & 1/2 hour drive. It figures, I finally get the whole weekend off & everytings a wash.

Posted via Mobile Device

4/29/12, 3:43 PM   #24
Curt_Bullick

There's no reason the track isn't fit to race. Let's be honest. The owners new it was if'y because of weather, probably feared that the turn out wasn't going to be great, so let's make an excuse an say the track was to wet....

Posted via Mobile Device

4/29/12, 4:15 PM   #25
Pitpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt_Bullick View Post
There's no reason the track isn't fit to race. Let's be honest. The owners new it was if'y because of weather, probably feared that the turn out wasn't going to be great, so let's make an excuse an say the track was to wet....

Posted via Mobile Device
If they say it wasn't fit to race...........it wasn't fit to race.

4/29/12, 4:26 PM   #26
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Before we start bashing the track owners/promoters, let's take a hard look at the weather the past 48 hours. I'm not in Kokomo but the weather in central Indiana hasn't been very good during the past two days. I'm as disappointed as the rest of you by not being able to see racing at Kokomo this evening. HOWEVER, bashing the very people who have worked their tail off to provide excellent racing since they purchased this track won't change the outcome.

If you happened to attend the KISS/MSCS race last Sunday at Terre Haute, you would have seen just how hard Reece O'Connor works to provide the racers an excellent surface. I am not an expert, like many on here, when it comes to track prep. I know a good one when I see it, but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to prepare one. I know that weather plays an important role into it as well.

All track owners/promoters have a business model. Just as most of us all have a job that pays the bills, they have to make a profit inorder to pay their bills. With the weather being the way it is, I doubt very much that Kokomo would have been a standing room only crowd this evening. With temperatures predicted in the 50's with a good chance of rain on the way, how much of your money would you put down to open the gates and lose money this evening? With the economic situation being what it is today, I understand completely.

We took a chance last night and went to Lawrenceburg for the races. I can guarantee that Dave Rudisell didn't become a millionaire last night. He took a chance, a very big chance, that most people would have understood if he just threw in the towel early. He didn't, and unfortunately all his time and effort went for nothing. Very small crowd and Mother Nature rang the bell early stopping all action.

Track owner's/promoters are a different breed of folks and here in Indiana we are very blessed to have the O'Connor's, Spiker's, Ford's, Rudisell's, Helfrich's, Himelick's and the new ownership group at Bloomington, etc. etc.. Bashing any of them won't make it happen. Let's all stop this non-sense of throwing that temper tantrum when things don't go our way. Be thankful that next Friday, Saturday and Sunday, weather permitting, the gates to these fine racing facilities will swing open and once again we can enjoy this great sport of auto racing.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

4/29/12, 4:27 PM   #27
Koonzee

One of the many reason's Kokomo has such great track conditions,is the fact they don't seal the track up for threat of rain. It's a risk but I think it's worth it in the long run.You loose a few,that would of been one groovers,but gain alot of great nights. This and Thunderstocks.lol
Last edited by Koonzee; 4/29/12 at 4:33 PM.

5 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, JON'S MOM, Pine, randy j, speed bump
4/29/12, 4:32 PM   #28
Curt_Bullick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitpass View Post
If they say it wasn't fit to race...........it wasn't fit to race.
I'm sure if they said the sky's falling, then the sky's falling... C'mon man!!!

Posted via Mobile Device

4/29/12, 4:48 PM   #29
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Always love when the "experts" step on here to give us the real story. If I go to a race and get rained out, I'm out $20 bucks and some gas money. Hardly going to break me. Tracks have a huge investment in EVERYTHING involved in putting on a show. If it's called, reason doesn't matter, no racing will take place. I wouldn't want the financial risk on me. Love to see those with all the answers take it on.

Do feel for teams that towed to find out there was no racing. They can't wait until last minute to go like fans. Tuff deal there.

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by openwheelKT; 4/29/12 at 4:50 PM.

4/29/12, 4:51 PM   #30
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt_Bullick View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Well, hooray, we have a new track preparation expert. I thought that everyone agreed that track prep at Kokomo, and now Terre Haute, was outstanding. Guess I was wrong. Hurry up, someone hire this guy.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo 4/29