IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy Cars
4/20/09, 6:37 PM   #21
Re: Indy Cars
ClaytonYeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
Personally, I thought it was a good race. Some passing, a little stratagy, cars stepping out to get around the hairpin.

I'm actually pretty excited about the Indy Cars for the first time in a long time. There are some new sponsors; Verizon, Dads rootbeer,Sonny's BBQ(I know it wasn't at Long Beach.) Some new drivers and teams competing for the lead.

As far as Ashley Judd goes, I don't know about her being a "skank" or even a "snob". I find her interviews annoying, but thats only because she is trying too hard. Anyone I know that knows her says she is nice.(Except for one former KU student). I find it hard to believe that anyone posting on here would be completely repulsed and refuse to talk to her in person. Maybe I am wrong.

I know this will hurt some feelings on here, but I find it hard to believe that if the cars where any cheaper that a huge migration of sprint car guys would make the leap to Indy Cars. The reason the cars are built the way they are is because that is the safest way to go. There is a reason why they went back to the engine lease. It is MUCH, MUCH CHEAPER to do so. No motor guys, dynos,engineers, machines and no matter what, yours is as good as theirs. While I don't believe that formula should be used in the sprints and midgets because there are plenty of free lance builders with the parts and knowledge to provide a quality product, it works for the IRL.

Do I wish there were more guys I know running the Indy cars? Sure. There are 100 guys I would be excited to see in the IRL. Do I believe that many of the guys I know have the same drive and motivation that many of the Indy Car guys do? Absolutely not. Some do, but very few. They think they have that drive, but they don't. Sure there are some rich guys who are in the Indy cars because of their money, but there are many who are there because they slept in cars and bummed with friends and worked and scraped to make the right contacts to be there. Many of these guys don't have the money themselves, but they got backers to help supply them money to keep their careers going and when they start getting good contracts, they have to pay it back with interest. Don't hate on guys because of their deals. Do your deal and congratulate them on theirs and then if you get to where they are, kick their ass in the seat and show them why you are there.

Anyone that knows me knows that I have historically not been a fan of the IRL and Tony George.(Not as a person, as a leader of the series and speedway.) When the IRL was started I told everyone that I talked to thet they would end up like CART because that is where the money is. (Engine leases,Street Courses,Foreign Drivers). I knew the rug was going to be pulled from under the open wheel guys. That said, I should have enjoyed it more when it started because I was so consumed on the future, I missed out on what a good time it was for the open wheel guys. There where great stories that came from that period. Unfortunately, while the open wheel contingent is a loud one, they are not a large one and the IRL simply did not generate the fanbase they needed to be successful. Sprint/Midget guys or not. That is why it is what it is today. If the fans would have came out in droves like people kept saying they would, then it would still be similar to what it was then. The free market system works and it told them they had a broken business model. Tony was supporting a bunch of teams out of his pocket and tried to keep it the origional model as long as he could. The fans voted with their money and said they wouldn't support an oval only series with local based drivers and variable/owner maintained engine platforms.

I have been very impressed with the start of this year and there is a little bit of a buzz. Just a spark of electricity. I was against Versus and I was very wrong. I was using my past bias instead of judging it on it's own merit. The IRL is the central part of their broadcast programming and that is important. Great announcing crew. Mostly because Bob is carrying it, but they will get better. I am also very impressed with the IZOD/Macy's promotion. Great T-Shirts, prominant displays and Macy's often has sales that will put the shirts around $15 ea. Even the Speedway themselves has some new merchandise that looks good. The 500 Grill at the airport is also done very well with some great photos and decoration.

I have been critical of the Speedway/IRL in the past because I felt they where just going through the motions, but they seem to be heading in the right direction today. Or at least they have a destination loaded into their Tom Tom.
THANK YOU! thank you!:applaud::respect: I'm not a huge fan of street course racing but the first two races were NOT terrible or anything (I found them enjoyable). I thought it was cool that they were working the wheel as hard as they were (all of them had calluses after the race). I don't understand why a lot of people don't like the IRL because of the rent-a-rides. What auto racing series doesn’t have people who buy their rides? I don't know of any. I think the IRL has some of the deepest racers as far as talent goes. I would put Dixon up against anyone. I believe the IRL is back on track and I can't wait until May.

NOTE: the reason Ashley Judd is not liked by that Kansas student is, Kansas and Kentucky basketball fans dislike each other.

4/20/09, 7:40 PM   #22
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbpreformance View Post
The month of May is shapping up to being the best in a long long while and people are still ******** :headbang:headbang

We know you are racist and do not like non-americans because they could never be as good as the good Americans you grew up with........Fact is the best drivers in the world right now are Non-Americans

If you do not like the IRL then shut up about it so those of us that do like it can talk about it
Just who the hell was this aimed at? Just because a fan prefers to see drivers heor she has heard of and followed for years here in America driving sprints, midgets, or silver crowns doesn't mean they are racists. Even uttering that word is completely irresponsible and inflamatory.

4/20/09, 8:09 PM   #23
cecil98

It has nothing to do with xenophobia or race. I'm just not interested in watching 20 Gino (or Gina) Guacomoli's who came from the formula Saab series in East Armpit South America. I don't know who these people are nor do I care. It's an absolute sin that American circle trackers can't even get a smell from these car owners. Look at Penske and Ganassi. They put foreigners in their Indy Cars and send their American drivers to Neckcar. Penske had a great American driver for a while but, he stuck him in a taxi cab. I can't believe these geniuses can't see that they are killing the sport by bringing in almost, exclusively, foreign drivers for all of the top notch rides. I have no problem with foreigners competing against our guys, but our guys can't get a chance. I thought it was incredible back in the 60's 70's and early 80's when the best of Europe and other countires came over here to compete against our circle trackers like Jones, Foyt, Johncock, Rutherford, Sneva, Andretti, the Unsers etc. These guys were all sprint/midget drivers and they had no problem adapting to the rear engined cars and some even excelled on road courses. Now, for some reason, the powers that be in Indy Car racing don't think our guys can adapt. Go figure.
Last edited by cecil98; 4/23/09 at 7:03 AM.

4/21/09, 5:41 AM   #24
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
It has nothing to do with xenophobia or race. I'm just not interested in watching 20 Gino (or Gina) Guacomoli's who came the formula Saab series in East Armpit South America. I don't know who these people are nor do I care. It's an absolute sin that American circle trackers can't even get a smell from these car owners. Look at Penske and Ganassi. They put foreigners in their Indy Cars and send their American drivers to Neckcar. Penske had a great American driver for a while but, he stuck him in a taxi cab. I can't believe these geniuses can't see that they are killing the sport by bringing in almost, exclusively, foreign drivers for all of the top notch rides. I have no problem with foreigners competing against our guys, but our guys can't get a chance. I thought it was incredible back in the 60's 70's and early 80's when the best of Europe and other countires came over here to compete against our circle trackers like Jones, Foyt, Johncock, Rutherford, Sneva, Andretti, the Unsers etc. These guys were all sprint/midget drivers and they had no problem adapting to the rear engined cars and some even excelled on road courses. Now, for some reason, the powers that be in Indy Car racing don't think our guys can adapt. Go figure.

Cecil,

You are talking about Hornish as the American Penske driver. He has been quoted as saying the IRL didn't promote their tp drivers and left the IRL to go get better pay in NASCAR. It's all about the money with him. I was a huge Hornish fan when he drove for Panther and PDM. When h moved to Penske I knew two things: He was doing it solely for the money and that he would be gone in a few years. I didn't support him near as much as I did before and yes alot of that was because of my absolute hatred of Penske.

4/21/09, 8:10 AM   #25
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy View Post
Cecil,

You are talking about Hornish as the American Penske driver. He has been quoted as saying the IRL didn't promote their tp drivers and left the IRL to go get better pay in NASCAR. It's all about the money with him. I was a huge Hornish fan when he drove for Panther and PDM. When h moved to Penske I knew two things: He was doing it solely for the money and that he would be gone in a few years. I didn't support him near as much as I did before and yes alot of that was because of my absolute hatred of Penske.
You're right DWB, but, it was Penske who helped facilitate Sam's move to the cabs. That move may have been in the works the day Hornish moved over to Penske. We think somewhat alike, DWB. I also lost some of my enthusiasm for Sam when he moved over to Penske from Panther. Panther racing proved that the original formula was close to being spot-on. Panther didn't have near the resources of a Penske/Ganassi yet, regularly kicked their butts. That all went away with Honda & Yota. I know Sam's move was motivated entirely by money and opportunity. I don't blame him, or any other driver, for jumping to Penske when that rare opportunity presents itself. It would be career suicide not to. At this point, there is no one in the IRL that interests me. Of the Americans, Danica is a spoiled brat and in a top ride because she is a capable female, Marco is in a top ride because his name is Andretti and dad owns the team, and Ed Carpenter, while not in what I consider a top ride, is there because his step-dad owns the whole deal. Of the three aforementioned drivers, I tend to pull for Ed. I'll continue to order my 500 tickets because of the event itself but, as soon as it gets to the point where less than 33 start, I'm done.

4/21/09, 8:58 AM   #26
LEADERS EDGE

What everyone is forgetting is that the reason there were so many new teams is because Tony set up a system where he guarenteed bank loans to fund the cars. Basically financing most of the series out of his pocket. I don't argue that there were many new teams and that was good, but few of them lasted long because they couldn't sustain the expenses. Tony had to start cutting back, and many of those teams went away.

The reason I like the engine lease deal, especially with one supplier, is because: I don't have to deal with the various vendors,hire the personel,buy the machines and support equipment. I'm not constantly spending $100,000 here and there in time and parts looking for 3hp. At the end of the year I'm not left with a pile of useless parts and motors that I have to store or sale. If I purchase from an outside vendor I am then worried if I am getting the good parts and I am not constantly worried about the new upgrade. As it is now; It's Hondas problem.

I agree that the series did offer many opportunities to the dirt track guys and local racer, but lets face it; the fans didn't come out and the sponsors weren't there. You can't build a series on teams and drivers that are there one week and gone the next.

I will say though that while CART was formed for a good reason; it was not a good series at the end because the owners had too much say and too many personal agendas clouded the goal of the series.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 4/21/09 at 9:02 AM.

4/21/09, 9:13 AM   #27
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
What everyone is forgetting is that the reason there were so many new teams is because Tony set up a system where he guarenteed bank loans to fund the cars. Basically financing most of the series out of his pocket. I don't argue that there were many new teams and that was good, but few of them lasted long because they couldn't sustain the expenses. Tony had to start cutting back, and many of those teams went away.

The reason I like the engine lease deal, especially with one supplier, is because: I don't have to deal with the various vendors,hire the personel,buy the machines and support equipment. I'm not constantly spending $100,000 here and there in time and parts looking for 3hp. At the end of the year I'm not left with a pile of useless parts and motors that I have to store or sale. If I purchase from an outside vendor I am then worried if I am getting the good parts and I am not constantly worried about the new upgrade. As it is now; It's Hondas problem.

I agree that the series did offer many opportunities to the dirt track guys and local racer, but lets face it; the fans didn't come out and the sponsors weren't there. You can't build a series on teams and drivers that are there one week and gone the next.

I will say though that while CART was formed for a good reason; it was not a good series at the end because the owners had too much say and too many personal agendas clouded the goal of the series.
Scott, yes there were subsidies to some of the teams but, most of them folded up like tents very shortly after the arrival of Honda and Toyota. It raised the cost of competing beyond what the subsidies could sustain. The cost for a seat at the table was raised exponentially by these manufacturers. Another sad deal is, that the teams that had the most resources got the sweetheart engine deals. That tipped the balance completely away from the smaller teams that were very competitve to that point.

4/21/09, 10:35 AM   #28
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy View Post
Just who the hell was this aimed at? Just because a fan prefers to see drivers heor she has heard of and followed for years here in America driving sprints, midgets, or silver crowns doesn't mean they are racists. Even uttering that word is completely irresponsible and inflamatory.
FYI - I think the word racist is not the correct word here. The word you are looking for is xenophobe.

Main Entry: xe·no·phobe
Pronunciation: \ˈze-nə-ˌfōb, ˈzē-\
Function: noun
Etymology: International Scientific Vocabulary
Date: 1922
: one unduly fearful of what is foreign and especially of people of foreign origin

4/21/09, 11:41 AM   #29
smbpreformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
FYI - I think the word racist is not the correct word here. The word you are looking for is xenophobe.

: one unduly fearful of what is foreign and especially of people of foreign origin

Thanks Gregg that is a better word to use and completly correct in this situation
Last edited by smbpreformance; 4/21/09 at 11:46 AM.

4/21/09, 12:10 PM   #30
Z-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post

While it is a definition of a term, I don't agree this term is properly used to describe what others have eluded to.This would be like calling someone a homophobe just because they prefer not to hang out at a gay bar. They are not afraid of foreigners in rides, they would just prefer someone they may of had a connection with on a local level get the ride, the term that best describes that would be hhhmmmm......American pride, hometown pride, fan loyalty? But then again, the IRL is so popular outside of the US that they don't need loyal fans from here anymore.:rolleyes: Whats next?, the announcer for the 500 will announce in spanish? And no one will care.:headbang:sleep::cheers

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy Cars