IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Larry Miller thread (back in the day)
5/2/09, 1:34 PM   #21
Re: The Larry Miller thread (back in the day)
aceace

Some more pictures. The first one Karl, Mickey and Larry Kinser with my Dad after winning twin 50's at Haubstadt.

#14j owned by John McDaniel

#43 owned by M.A. Brown

3 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan
5/2/09, 5:57 PM   #22
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

These are just great! Thanks so much for taking the trouble to share them.

Frank Daigh

5/2/09, 8:37 PM   #23
Sprint Car Racing Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceace View Post

Not sure if you are interested in identifying all the people in the photos, but the flagman in this photo is Frank Knight, the picture is probably from a Bloomington win.

Very interesting to see all the old cars.

2 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge
5/3/09, 11:52 AM   #24
groove grabber

Great pictures!! My Dad (Cliff Cockrum) always thought the world of Larry. I've heard so many stories about all of the guys, and guys like , bubby, sheldon, amati, Bob Kinser, larry, The flying eyeball, and all the rest. You gotta admit, those guys probably inspired alot of people in their day and has given many families lots of joy and frustration from giving them the racing bug. lol

Thanks for sharing those

Shane Cockrum Motorsports
#14c Powri Midget

If I get a chance, I'll start posting alot of very interesting old pics i have

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
10/25/09, 6:28 PM   #25
Don Hardesty

What a pleasure to find this sight. It was like moving time back some forty years. From about 1967 to 1980 I was track photographer at the Tri-State Speedway in Haubstadt, Indiana. I guess I photographed most of the best sprint cars and driver to come through the mid-west. Most of the photographs of Larry Miller that are posted here were taken by me. Larry was probably the quietest driver I ever met until he strapped on that sprint car. Then there was no question as to who he was. I think the best sprint car race I ever saw was at Haubstadt between Larry and Larry "boom boom" Cannon. Miller in Karl's big block cuttin diamonds around the top and Cannon in a small block scooting around the bottom. What a race! It was so good I can't even remember who won it. It didn't matter they were both winners.

To Shane Cockrum your dad was a speacial friend and all round good guy. The one picture I remember was him sitting in an unmounted tire with a steering wheel in his hands playing racecar driver. Not an important picture but he was having fun.

To the administrators of this site, THANKS for giving an old man a refresher on more youthful days

Don

10/25/09, 6:48 PM   #26
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Don,

I remember you quite well. You did great work and were always so friendly with the fans. I also vividly remember your bright yellow Chevy sedan delivery vehicle which was based on a passenger car. I believe it was a 1960 model. It would be worth a large sum today. Glad to see you found this website.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
10/25/09, 7:50 PM   #27
smith19

don, do you have any pics of gilstrap in the #19 car.

10/25/09, 10:40 PM   #28
Don Hardesty

Ron, it seems I remember your name. Did you work at Central machine??? There's a lot of water under the bridge.

As far as pictures of Calvin's #19, I'm sorry I don't. Our basement flood at one time and I lost thousands of negatives and after I went into business full time a guy from Indianapolis called and bought every racetrack negative I had. Wish I would of kept them......

10/26/09, 10:21 AM   #29
groove grabber

Don and Jerry, I appreciate the kind words! I have that exact picture your talking about and like I said before, I'm gonna start posting them soon. Luckily, Dad and Mom(mostly Mom) were pretty good about preserving the past by keeping lots of photos, (alot yours I'm sure) and not only of him but everyone he raced with that meant alot to him. So be on the lookout here in the next week or so, I'll see what I can come up with

Thanks, Shane Cockrum

2 members like this post: jim goerge, luckybuc97
10/26/09, 10:41 AM   #30
openwheelfan1

aceace,
I grew up in S. Indiana and went to Haubstadt fairly regularly. Your Dad was one of my heros, along with Cliff Cockrum, Calvin Gilstrap and many others.

If I'm not mistaken, a group of fans put a "bounty" on your Dad after he won 10 features in 1969 at Haubstadt, which the track matched after he got two more wins. My memory is a little hazy after 40 years, but I believe one of West Memphis invaders (Hooker Hood?) ended up claiming the bounty on him.

Your dad was a great driver and a joy to watch! Thanks for the pictures and the memories!!

Steve

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Larry Miller thread (back in the day)