IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
8/12/08, 2:43 AM   #201
Re: UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
thebus79h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson View Post
I may be in the minority here but I for one applaud a sanctioning body who looks out for there participants, there is no doubt an inspection should of taken place days before the event but even if a inspection were to of taken place and something else came to light the day of the race then I hope the sanctioning body will have the fortitude to do what they feel is in the best interests of there competitors especially when safety is the concern.

Tim Clauson
I do agree with that, but I do believe that the things that they stated were the reasons of why they didn't race was things that weren't going to get changed in one night. Why did USAC sit by and let all those people into the stands, pits, and buy all that food, and "waste" all that money getting in? I gotta imagine Tony lost his ass on this race, but USAC should have pulled the plug much earlier. They fixed everything that they could, but should have called it much earlier. Actually, our group got there around 5:00pm by the time we signed in, and went to see a friend of ours, and he said they were already talking like it might not happen. Why not cancel before everyone gets there, wishing the grader to move, or that pole to be cut off wasn't going to happen.

That's where my frustration comes from. I can still remember driving a long long ways to go race, calling all the way down there to see if it's raining, and the track owner saying, "nope, track is good, not raining here", and when you get there, looks like it'd rained for 3 days, with no chance of running, in hopes that they will get your money, and the longer they hold it, the more concession money they make. Just tell people up front and first, that would have been the best thing IMO.

8/12/08, 4:23 AM   #202
Midget82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
If it was safety, Then why do they race at other tracks with obvious safety issues, Why do drivers fire off in gym shoes and t shirts with no gloves to warm motors? ECT.
What modern day USAC show has that ever been allowed, Chuck? When and where did you see it done? :rolleyes:

8/12/08, 6:48 AM   #203
Tony Barhorst

Tim....I have great respect for you and am proud that I promoted the first National race Bryan won at Columbus, Ohio. ( Despite having a cold day where it was raining north of Columbus, hurting my crowd badly.)

The facts are that we fixed the problems...cut off the rebar that I ordered the track owner to remove months before. After they were fixed, even more problems were dug up.

Tim, why do you run at any other race track that have the same condition...including one with a WOODS FULL OF TREES with no fence right outside the backstretch? Why focus in on the problems at UCS and ignore other tracks safety issues?

I was shocked that the track owner had not removed that rebar...I told him about your experience in 04...and was livid when the changes were not made.

As we were fixing the problems...a secret vote was held among owners...and teams quickly headed for the exits. Stunning... If they allowed all 48 teams to vote..The vote may have been to STAY and race...it was RIGGED.

There were 33 other teams that WERE IGNORED, as I was.

8/12/08, 7:52 AM   #204
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget82 View Post
What modern day USAC show has that ever been allowed, Chuck? When and where did you see it done? :rolleyes:
I already said Im dropping this UNION County deal. My point was I've seen dozens of races at tracks with several serious safety issues and I'll also point out that no track is probably 100 percent safe as far as foriegn objects. Exposed fence post, old light polles ect. Cars hanging from fence post, cars landing in small lakes. It's dirt track racing and some of these tracks are running on shoe string budgets. Some care and show it, others just provide a place to run. All I was saying is that at least three of the Sprint/Midget weeks tracks there were some real issues that perhaps went un noticed, perhaps not but were allowed to continue and one of them upon further review is dangerous to the fans.

Its racing, It's inhearently dangerous and I doubt anyone would go if it wasn't. This doesn't mean you should if put yourself into more obvious danger but there is always going to be a point of acceptable risk YOU HAVE TO TAKE or it would never happen. From driving to a fan. Thats not pointing fingers at anyone. it's just what I see. At just about every track there is something, Are things said about them at these shows? I know some of these issues have existed for years at certain tracks and Im not talking USAC alone either. Its all drivers responsibility to say something just as it is a fans responsibility to not sit by a low fence. Its also a tracks responsibility to fix the things they can.

Have a nice and safe rest of the season. I plan too.
Chuck

8/12/08, 8:11 AM   #205

Tim first off thankyou for stateing your feeling. My first response is, did you look at the fixes that were made? DO you still feel they were unsafe? How sad is USAC that the owners had to cancell this race? (No Mr. Miller I really don't care how much you and your team had to travel in the previouse days.)

Ok in reading all of this, there is 2 more years on this contract I beleive. So Tim, if the footer is covered, rebar cut off, and poles outside of turn 1 and 2 cut down, you guys will run with no complaints?

8/12/08, 8:16 AM   #206
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
Tim first off thankyou for stateing your feeling. My first response is, did you look at the fixes that were made? DO you still feel they were unsafe? How sad is USAC that the owners had to cancell this race? (No Mr. Miller I really don't care how much you and your team had to travel in the previouse days.)

Ok in reading all of this, there is 2 more years on this contract I beleive. So Tim, if the footer is covered, rebar cut off, and poles outside of turn 1 and 2 cut down, you guys will run with no complaints?
Dude, let it go. It's done and over with. Mistakes were made. Lessons were learned. Don't take it personally. Life is too short to get so bent out of shape for one race that didn't work out. Stuff happens. Move on and have fun with the rest of the racing season!

How would you like it if you made a mistake at work and your boss constantly beat you down for a week about it? Move on.

8/12/08, 8:36 AM   #207
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post

Contact Kevin or Tim directly. Be respectful and its time to stop the finger pointing. I know my issues and concern were addressed more than I had expected It happenend and were assured steps are being taken to never happen again. Im willing to accept that and move on. Use the members list, find them and send em a message

Chuck

8/12/08, 8:41 AM   #208

Both of you, there is a sprint race comeing up, I have left a message with the track to help out to make sure the place is safe. WHAT DO YOU WANT FIXED IS THE QUESTION? You basically have to be an ass to get any answers. Right now it sounds like cut a little rebar and 2 posts outside and the place is in good shape.

8/12/08, 8:53 AM   #209
ossuks

Why did 24 sprint cars leave?
The "secret mtg." took place with 75-100 people?
Why wasn't USAC parking spectator cars so they would not be against the outer wall?
Did Tom W. ever get off his 4-wheeler?
22% of the midgets on hand stayed, why did the other 78% leave?
Why wasn't the grader moved?
The promoter knew going in that the changes needed to be made. Issues were left unfinished, the competitors refused to race, the promoter now looks to lay blame on the track and USAC.

8/12/08, 8:57 AM   #210
Charles Nungester

For what they believed to be serious issues and I'll accept that. Just as I accept about 30 guys who felt they could run on it.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week