IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrencburg updates tonight?
10/8/07, 3:56 PM   #191
Re: Lawrencburg updates tonight?
riskybrisky5

"Perhaps the other drivers didn't want to run the bottom, I don't see anyone saying why not force the guys to run in the top either. If those 95% agree with you then shame on them for not saying so but those 95% are the ones who weren't in the top 5 also, so I'm sure if they didn't get the finish they wanted their upset and the track has to be the reason right? " Quote from OpenWheelRob

The top was already ran in. It was not greasy and slop only the bottom so the only groove was the top. That is why there was no passing openwheelrob. If the top would have been sloppy and greasy then we would have been saying pack the top in. Ballou ask me how i did in the heat i said 4th, he asked where i started i told him and he said you couldnt pass on the track. I think he was in the top 5 but he even said you couldnt pass. By the way congrats to Robert Balou and Jimmy Jones for an oustanding season. If it would have been 2 groove they still would have won they are on fire right now. But I guarantee they both will admit that it was a one laner. One more thing openwheel rob we were all complaining before we knew where we would finish. It was evident when we seen the track.

10/8/07, 4:05 PM   #192
Kirk Robbins

I am one of those IOW members that reads a lot but does not post very much. After reading all of the post on this thread I must state my opinion and only my option.

First I must say that I have supported Larwrenceburg Speedway all year by run my car and spending my money in the sport that I enjoy and will continue to do that.

When I started in the Sprint the debate was going on about qualifying vs. pill draw and I did not have an opinion. After run for two years I would prefer to put my setup skills and driver skills up against the clock than the luck a pill draw.

Now about the track, I tell this just as a fact of what happen to my car and driver. We start 12TH in the 2nd Heat. My driver started with 25 tear offs after the first few laps and yellows he was out of tear offs and was using his hand to wipe off his shield during the race. On the last restart that he was on the track he held one hand in front and above his shield to try and stop the mud from collect on his shield. When he realize that he was in a losing battle to be able to see he pull off the track coming off of turn two in hope he could open his shield on his helmet to see. The amount of mud on his helmet and shield was so great he could not open his shield to see and had to stop the car causing another yellow.

Do I have any problem with what happen NO, would I have like it to be better YES. My driver did what he thought was best for the condition that he and the car where in.

Long live the sport (open wheel racing) that we all enjoy

Sorry for all grammar and spelling errors.

Kirk Robbins

10/8/07, 4:17 PM   #193
zeroracer

As a fan and a racer I understand both sides.

As A fan yes you want to see high speeds and no dust is not enjoyable to endure to watch a race. But what i saw as a fan saturday night was just as much follow the leader as i would have seen on a rubbered down race track but with more wrecks because drivers could not see. There is no way that the track recieved 2 inches of rain because the infield was DRY and yet the bottom of the bank had water standing on it. now if i had enough rain to make the track soupy all night i would think that the infield would have been a little wet but it was dusty as ever. The track could have easily been worked into two grooves. the track was ready for heat races to start at the end of the feature.

As a driver it is NOT my job to make a second groove i believe as many others it is the tracks responsibility to provide an decent racing surface for the racers to put on a show for there fans. granted there are times when drivers make new grooves but on saturday that was not going to happen. Tracks that are not ran in well enough are dangerous period.

I will say this much at least they finally have the tires down where they belong instead of in the middle of the track.

I am a HUGE supporter of Lawrenceburg, but I will call a spade a spade and i wont sugar coat the fact that the track was less than impressive. I know they work hard to do the best they can but, there is no reason the whole night should look like a set of hot laps.

One more thing....
I get tired as a driver reading or hearing about people that have never been a racer or owned a race car talking about how wonderful the track is or how great racing was. or telling drivers they have no right to say the track was $#!t because it was one lane. If you are sitting in the stands and have never been behind the wheel of one of these monsters, YOU have NO IDEA! So dont talk to drivers like there are ignorant for voicing there opinion. We are not complaining we want things to be better for the fans and the racers.

10/8/07, 5:01 PM   #194
OpenwheelRob

zero,
If your directing that to me your wrong, I've been behind the wheel and know how this stuff goes but get over it. When I was able to run I'd run whenever or where ever I could in any class I could. I've ran rough, slick, bumpy, tacky, muddy you name it yea from time to time it sucked it happens but I wouldn't start publicly bashing a track knowing full well those guys work long and hard doing the best they can in order to put on a show for the fans. You so called "professionals" are suppose to be alittle better than that. But hey I'm not an owner or driver so what does my opionion matter bash me all you want. And then start another thread about how come this non-wing sport won't gain any ground. Buncha whiners, shut up and race.

If the facility isn't to your standards load up and go home or go run pavement.

10/8/07, 5:51 PM   #195
zeroracer

My comment was not directed at anyone specific. And like i said i am a huge supporter of Lawrenceburg, but i feel they need to get things straightened out. My intent was not to BASH anyone, I was merely speaking my mind and no i know you wont always get perfect track conditions but i get sick of seeing a great race with a little dust and people raise caine, but if the racing is pretty much aweful but its tacky everyone is happy its rediculous. there was only one exciting thing about last night and that was the speed. If you are a racer Openwheelrob you know how hard that stuff is on your equipment and to not have an unlimited budget makes racing on stuff like that even harder. so i dont know why you wouldnt be more receptive to guys that race there regularly wanting the track to be right.

And i never said fan opinions dont matter, it bothers me that fans act like drivers should just take it on the chin because the track looks fine to them since they arent in the cockpit.

Yes call us whiners for voicing our opinion when did this become kindercare for racing thanks rob real mature.

10/8/07, 8:07 PM   #196
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno Don View Post
I bet it was because you saw more John Deere tractors on the track than you did Sprintcars.

I think the people have let track prep go to their head. I was there for Sprint Week and the Deeres had over 2 hours track time.
Exactly, While I'll agree that at the very least some wheel packin could have gone on. The racing at the Burg was one hundred times better IMHO than dry slick with no chance at advancing by standing on the gas. You could go foreward, If you could stay on the track.

Have a good rest of the season and 2008
Chuck

10/8/07, 8:23 PM   #197
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofracing View Post
Talking heads. Having had the experience of managing a 70+ car field I have seen the inside. It is a major task for all involved.

That was rude, As a paying customer, Racer, Sponsor or what not. If you supported the races, You have the right to a opinion.

1. If there was qualifying, there would be the equivalent of 140+ laps right in the racing groove. Talk about single file racing!

It would have only gotten faster, That track could have supported TWO of saturday night's shows

2. The expense of promoting a wing show has become their potential downfall. If the payback throught he field for non-wing was the same as as that, there would be one or two in the area per year. Promoters cannot loose that much money.

Agreed, But in this case, Not only for the promotor to be able to turn a buck but for the track as well. A two night format might have helped. I hope LBurg did well. For the crap they've put up with and all the hard work they put into it (They started with no walls, Lights, Flagstand, Schedual, Consession equiptment, PA ect. ECT and this was in late febuary when he finally signed the lease. The put the track back together and improved it significantly (The last ten years cars were running more off the backstraight than on it)

HERE HERE DAVE RUDISELL AND Co. and the City for spending the MILLIONS necessary and they are pouring more MILLIONS in it for next year!

3. In my opinion there has not been a new promoter with the positive outlook and attitude to come along in years that can match the customer care demonstrated by Dave Rudisell and his staff. Their first season has been an amazing demonstration of that.

Agreed,

4. Fans...do you want dust or not? From the posts in this thread I am completely confused. A promoter cannot provide both.

I HATE DUSTY HUGGY POLE RACING, It's great for the low buck teams but it's boring as hell to see a car capable of running 90 on that track running 40.

5. Congratulations to Dave for taking a chance on this race. It was optional for him. He chose to support the fans and the racers.

And we should support him and give him the chance to figure the things that are wrong out.

6. Congratulations to Tom, Loris, Eldon and the balance of the staff that makes MSCS happen on their successful season of providing non wing drivers and teams an alternative. May their success continue to propel them onward and upward.

While I wouldn't say they did a BAD Job, Some improvement is necessary in lining up.

7. Why must the "hit" posts always be from people with one to six posts and why are they fearful of signing their actual name to their stated opinions.

Because thats called a Cheap Shot.

8. Is it just me or is Dave Rudisell the only promoter who is brave enough to provide explanations and comments on this forum?

He even brings up some opinions of his own and ASK THE TEAMS AND FANS, "WHAT THEY WANT" He could have easily took the 20 grand from Hoosier and made it a DT3 track and said, If you don't like it. Oh well. But he listened, Took a vote and stuck to it.

Barry Boone

Thanks Barry.

10/8/07, 8:36 PM   #198
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskybrisky5 View Post
Just got to add my opinions on all these subjects. First of all I think Larwrenceburg Speedway has done a great job of promoting this year. Getting more fans involved and trying to make the races an event. I also know Mel is working his tail off on the track. He admitted he made a mistake to me before the bs. He said the cloud cover after his last water run killed him. My problem comes with a couple of things. Before Hot laps Dave let everyone go look at the track in turn 4. Once all the mech and drivers seen the track we knew it was not ready to race on. I over heard some telling Dave it wasnt ready. Dave looked at his watch and said get back we are going hot lapping the track is ready. Well the track was not ready. But we all hot lapped any way. The track never did come in until part of the way through the feature and still at that point you had to have someone make a mistake to pass them. My question is this and I suggested to an official in red and black. Why not before every race have officials on the track forcing the racers to pack the bottom then when all cars are on the track line them up and race. Every yellow send fficials to force cars to pack bottom until line ups are ready then give one to go and race. If we would have done this by the c and b main times you may have seen 2 grooves. Before anyone responds I did by myself usually run the bottom on most yellows trying to pack it in. Then you might have seen Stanbrough and Clayton able to transfer from the tail of their bs. But because of blind draw they both had to load up early. When it is a blind draw race it is a must to make your track a 2 groove track. I have read some post from fans that the racing was great, I agree anytime I get to see a race car go around the track it is great for me also. But I didnt see passing all night until the feature. Look at it from the racers perspective and see if you think the track was great. When Clayton and Stanbrough walked up to the line up board the probably got a sick feeling and thought well my shot for $10,000 is over, why because they knew the track conditions. I know some of you are going to say but look at Gaines and Shuman they came from 12th to 3rd and 2cnd in there heats. This is not putting either driver down because I think they are both great drivers, many people know I would hire Dickie in a heart beat. But I watched Dickies race and he never passed any of those cars unless they pushed off the track or fell out. I was in Shumans race and he ended up starting 6th with the crashes before the start. He came out running second on the start. Because if you started on the bottom you were screwed, that is why Neely was trying to jump because he knew if he didnt he would be running 3rd going into 1 and not able to pass for the rest of the race. Shuman was much faster than Darland but couldnts pass him like countless other cars in other races. Starting postion determined who was making the show. If a car didnt make a mistake you were not passing him. That is why you seen packs of cars one slow car would hold a pack of cars up. Bottom line is someone should have stepped up from the track or MSCS to make the track raceable for all. Your draw should not determine if you make the race or not. Another thing about the blind draw I would like you promoters, organzations, and fans to think about. Was it fair to Shuman because he was unlucky and drew a bad number and was in the 6th heat that he had to start 12th in the A, while the guy that ran 2cnd in the first heat got to start 7th. That is 5 cars Shuman had to pass that the other car didnt. If Shuman starts 7th as fast as he was Sat. he might have had $10,000 instead of what he ended up with. Again sorry for all grammer and spelling errors.

WOW, Just wow! What a way to put the truth, The whole truth and nothing but the truth. Insulting nobody and making good points.

I know the All star show they hotlapped twice and the officials made the following heats wheelpack before starting the race. it was racy bottom to top.

Chuck

10/8/07, 8:45 PM   #199
Dwight Clock

Well put, Kevin. You made a few great points.

10/8/07, 8:56 PM   #200
Charles Nungester

Bleep

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrencburg updates tonight?