IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indycar Attendance?
5/2/17, 9:07 PM   #11
Re: Indycar Attendance?
RyanKentJr

Been to every 500 since 2004. Visited Iowa, Mid-Ohio, Phoenix (just last weekend), Road America, Pocono and the Indy GP the last few years. Always loved going to Kentucky. Hope to attend Texas and Gateway here soon. Would love to see more ovals on the schedule as well as another event like Long Beach, maybe in Florida towards the end of year.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Tony74
5/2/17, 9:50 PM   #12
streetglider

I don't go to any Indycar races anymore because I can't pronounce any of the driver's names and the cars are just plain Fugly.

2 members like this post: FishBurger, Scott Daloisio
5/2/17, 9:54 PM   #13
tspilly

Went to Iowa last year. Went to Indy and Milwaukee the year before that. If you like to see passing go to indy. We sat in turn three and there was a whole lot of passing. A very good race. Iowa was good but it needs to be a night race. Milwaukee was just ok.

5/2/17, 10:24 PM   #14
Brickyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglider View Post
I don't go to any Indycar races anymore because I can't pronounce any of the driver's names
Daly, Hunter-Reay, Andretti, Rossi, Chilton, Dixon, Power, Kimball, Jones, Hildebrand, Rahal, Hinchcliffe, Newgarden, Power,?...Seriously?.....that's like over half the full time field that you should have absolutely no problem pronouncing...unless that is your educational institutions failed you. Hell, there only three, maybe four, that anyone should have any issue pronouncing. Not to mention 8 of those guys above are those Americans that some seem to think are as rare as an appearance by Halley's comet. Could xenophobia be the real issue?
Last edited by Brickyard; 5/2/17 at 10:26 PM.

5/3/17, 1:48 AM   #15
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
Daly, Hunter-Reay, Andretti, Rossi, Chilton, Dixon, Power, Kimball, Jones, Hildebrand, Rahal, Hinchcliffe, Newgarden, Power,?...Seriously?.....that's like over half the full time field that you should have absolutely no problem pronouncing...unless that is your educational institutions failed you. Hell, there only three, maybe four, that anyone should have any issue pronouncing. Not to mention 8 of those guys above are those Americans that some seem to think are as rare as an appearance by Halley's comet. Could xenophobia be the real issue?
You expect someone who can't pronounce those names to know what xenophobia means?

5/3/17, 6:13 AM   #16
sp33dy

xenophobia?

I got started by listening to the Indy 500 every year on the radio back in the 1950's, and when it was possible to go watch a "Closed Circuit Telecast", I watched it that way. When I moved to Indiana in the mid 1980's I attended every year until a health problem made attending too difficult.
To me, the Indy 500 is an awesome event that is a part of who I am. I am not an expert on the subject, or a historical buff. I just like it.
I fondly remember going to the local Memorial Day parade, followed by the family picnics, sitting with my Dad and my Uncles listening to the race on the radio, and hearing their stories about the times they went to the "500" and times they got to see the "Big Cars" and some famous drivers at some local tracks.
Sure, it's not the same race I grew up with, but life goes on, and things evolve. Good, bad, or indifferent, everything changes. I choose to roll with it.
Last edited by sp33dy; 5/3/17 at 6:45 AM.

5/3/17, 8:49 AM   #17
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

My last was the 92nd Indy 500 2008. Before that I had been to about 30 since the start of the IRL. Attended races at Charlotte, Texas, Richmond, Watkins Glen and Indy. Once the IRL morphed into IndyCar (CART ver. 2.0) I slowly lost interest. Heck I even had a racing in my back yard almost at Baltimore and never even went close to the place. I hate the way the cars look today, about the only way I'd go back is if they went back to Richmond and had a good set of support series like Silver Crown and NASCAR Mods. Other that that I'll DVR the races on TV like I do with NASCAR and hit a dirt track on the weekend and watch it during the week when I'm bored.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
5/3/17, 9:22 AM   #18
indyjim54

This will be my 55th Indy 500-I enjoy it now as much as I did when I was 13.
I am going to the little 500 in Anderson the night before and am really looking forward to that as I have never been to that event.

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, Kansasdirtfan, Rich Mersereau, speed bump
5/3/17, 11:47 AM   #19
Kart29

I don't go anymore because the ticket prices are high and I don't enjoy the spec racing classes very much. The cars being essentially all the same and the especially the engine leases take all the fun out of it for me. I find slingshot aero passing at the end of the straightaway to be uninteresting and push-to-pass to be gimmicky. I don't care much for most of today's indy car drivers. There's usually at most one to three drivers who I really care about seeing do well. And usually the drivers I like the best are ones who have no chance of contending for a win. Anymore I don't like having my personal belongings searched just to get entry into an event/facility.

Plus, I found out that the Little 500 is cheaper, more interesting, and has more competition. Sprint cars are more powerful and more readily display driver ability. I identify with the drivers much more closely and therefore find a higher emotional connection to the event.

5 members like this post: 2HWrench, davidm, etripp, FishBurger, Stevensville Mike
5/3/17, 12:37 PM   #20
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Been attending the Indy 500 every year since 1965, and I watch all of the IndyCar races on TV.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indycar Attendance?