IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Saving Pavement Racing
9/5/16, 2:22 PM   #11
Re: Saving Pavement Racing
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon Open Wheel fan View Post
I would like to invte everyone to check out our Facebook page https://m.facebook.com/ILLINIMidwest...?ref=bookmarks

The tire rule we have in place allows a team to buy the entire set of tires for under $400. These tires can laat several races. We are also enforcing tire and engine rules very closely to ensure we keep the cost down. The engines we use are also very affordable and can be as cheap as 1500 dollar's. In just our 2nd race we pulled in 16 cars and I'm getting calls and messages daily from teams wanting to join us in the near future.
I can do them better than $1500.00 for a engine, they can take a short trip to PA and buy my race ready minisprint for $3000.00. I held it all summer for someone who couldn't make the deal happen for quite a bit more money. I can email pics of car to anyone interested. Keep that in mind Jay if you know of anyone looking. Same car you were sent pics of.

1 member likes this post: Avon Open Wheel fan
9/5/16, 2:57 PM   #12
Backitin

They wont be fast at that point. (tires)
That's why they need to start out with slow tires. Then you don't need engines which are way over $8000.00 to begin with. Bottom line is a car no matter how fast can only use what it's tires allow. If you have to hunt for traction front and rear you'll probley be wishing you would've saved some money on the engine and hired a better driver.

Theres always a couple, few different opinions when it comes to race cars.
The real goal for most drivers is to improve each race. A real feeling of accomplishment cant be bought thru top of the line cars, it comes from taking your situation and improving always. Once everyone including yourself expects you to win all the time the shine can come off of it. The most fun I ever had was when I was the poorest and It was never faster then when I was slow. That's the point wannabe racers shouldn't overlook. Theres someone to race with out there, 1st or 15th.
Last edited by Backitin; 9/5/16 at 3:32 PM.

9/5/16, 6:54 PM   #13
Jonr

So, are you sure you have fans that want to see these races?

1 member likes this post: fish
9/5/16, 7:26 PM   #14
racer5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
we sure used to

9/5/16, 10:08 PM   #15
Avon Open Wheel fan

Of course we had other ckasses of cars at Grundy but both Saturday and Sunday the crowds was good and I saw lots of midget and sprint car T Shirts in the stands.

www.illinimidgets.com

1 member likes this post: Task Force
9/5/16, 10:44 PM   #16
Therealether

Piggy backing with other weekly classes is key. The Southern Shootout sprints do it here, as the TBARA did for years before. You maximize the eyeballs you're in front of, plus the tracks already up and running that night anyways.

9/5/16, 11:03 PM   #17
flagboy55

Honestly folks, the demise of pavement open wheel racing started when they used different cars for both. I know someone will come on here and say it can't be done anymore but that is a load of horse poop. It was done and still should be. Granted it might make a car a little harder to drive if you had to build it to do both, but it ain't supposed to be easy. I think the silver crown cars should be the starting point for a return to this type of logic. Do that and add a reasonable tire rule and you are heading in the right direction.
Now,as far as people wanting to watch dirt over pavement, I can totally understand why that is, dirt is more exciting verses the average pavement track. There are only 3 pavement tracks that I would drive past a dirt track to see and one of them is extinct, Winchester, Salem, and rip Dayton

2 members like this post: gearguy, racer5c
9/6/16, 4:02 AM   #18
jdull99

SATURDAY – October 1, 2016. Rockford Speedway. 30 Laps. 51st National Short Track Championships.
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: hungthrottlepodcast
9/6/16, 6:57 AM   #19
flagboy55

I meant 3 pavement tracks I wouldn't drive past, sorry

9/6/16, 8:40 AM   #20
Crankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
This was the Hall of Fame weekend/Lockhart Memorial race last year, just before the first heat race. Not putting up to ruffle anyone's feathers, but it might answer your question.
Attached Images
morris.JPG (278.8 KB, 111 views)

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Saving Pavement Racing