IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > First Time Smackdown
8/16/16, 5:31 PM   #11
Tumey's 55

Call the track to see about tickets. In the past, Wednesday thru Friday has not been packed but Saturday will be. However, this event and the track in general continue to gain in popularity so arrive early to mark seats. I gave up my top row seats on Saturday last year to a daughter and boyfriend and sat low. Agree with the comment about eye protection, the Saturday feature was tough on the eyes. Of course that will vary with track conditions. This is a great event and I doubt you will be disappointed.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/16/16, 6:01 PM   #12
Re: First Time Smackdown
rachasin

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 42

My 3rd Smackdown wouldn't miss it!!!

? Coming from Chicago Ohare airport what is the best route?

Will be leaving early wed from there to Kokomo.

Thanks Bob

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
8/16/16, 7:03 PM   #13
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachasin View Post
My 3rd Smackdown wouldn't miss it!!!

? Coming from Chicago Ohare airport what is the best route?

Will be leaving early wed from there to Kokomo.

Thanks Bob
When you get to Indiana take RT 41 S,to RT 52 into Lafayette, pick up RT 26 Bam,Kokomo

8/16/16, 7:34 PM   #14
Sparkypop

I do it every week, take the toll road 294 to I 80 east to I 65 toward Indy. Exit US 24 east to US 35 south. A couple miles south of Galveston, take the ramp marked, Davis Rd, downtown Kokomo. You'll see Indiana's baddest bullring in 2 miles!

8/16/16, 7:36 PM   #15
addictedtodirt

[QUOTE=Dick Monahan;455351]Every year when someone asks this, I recommend the tour at Kokomo Opalescent Glass.

Plan to do this on Friday! My wife will be excited. We will be leaving from the camping area and can take another couple if anyone is interested.

1 member likes this post: Stephen Cording
8/16/16, 8:03 PM   #16
addictedtodirt

[QUOTE=Dick Monahan;455351]Every year when someone asks this, I recommend the tour at Kokomo Opalescent Glass.

Plan to do this on Friday! My wife will be excited. We will be leaving from the camping area and can take another couple if anyone is interested.

8/17/16, 1:20 AM   #17
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMrace48 View Post
My wife and I are thinking of coming down for the BC Celebration and stay for the smackdown. As first timers what do we need to know? Are good tickets still available? Where are the best places to stay? Are there things to do during the day? Any helpful comments would be appreciated.
You can't go wrong. No jacked up crazy motel rates like Knoxville Nats, check Hotels.com. I don't need anything fancy, Motel 6 works fine for me, maybe 10 minutes to track.
Wish I could make it this year, great racing, you'll love it

8/17/16, 3:06 AM   #18
Stephen Cording

[quote=addictedtodirt;455396]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
Every year when someone asks this, I recommend the tour at Kokomo Opalescent Glass.

It's a very good tour and one of only three operational plate glass manufacturers in the USA. Real American living history. Highly recommend a visit, fantastic building. Take ya' camera

3 members like this post: addictedtodirt, i love dirt track racing, rachasin
8/17/16, 8:45 AM   #19
Nate

Getting so excited for the Smackdown reading this thread. I've only ever missed 1 day of the Smackdown through the first four, unfortunately with the recent move I can only make it up for possibly the feature Friday and the finale on Saturday.

That said, I'm a bit of a history nerd so some other things that you could consider taking a look at while you're in the area for the event if its your kind of thing.

Elwood Haynes Museum in Kokomo
Grissom Air Museum -20 minutes north of Kokomo at Grissom ARB
Battle of Tippecanoe battlefield - Hour to the west
Battle of Mississinewa battlefield - 45 minutes to the northeast

8/17/16, 9:25 AM   #20
rclaridge

A group of us will be arriving Monday afternoon and and are planning a trip south Tuesday am to Speedway Indoor Karting!!!

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > First Time Smackdown