IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chevy test there sprint engine
9/10/08, 2:58 PM   #11
Re: Chevy test there sprint engine
tailtank

The even bigger problem would be to get all the tracks in your area to go with the same set of rules. If this engine was to get a green light then you are going to have some tracks decide not to run them therefore making carowners/drivers and fans make choices, we do not want to make.

9/10/08, 2:58 PM   #12
TQ29m

Anybody remember the 'Stock" 350, carb class Sprints that was tried a "few" years back, that was almost as dangerous as driving a 56-57 Chevy, with dual quads, could really get you in trouble, just when you needed it, the engine lost it's prime, it didn't take me long to learn, that when you pulled out to pass, have plenty of room, or don't pull in that other quad, cause it was kinda hard to get that foolish look off your face, when the car you were passing, didn't get passed, you had sloshed all the fuel to one side, and were going backwards. It's hard to control the costs of anything competitive, I take that back, it's impossible, no matter what it is, someone will be willing to break the bank to win, then disappear, and it's the little guy that keeps the wheel turning, without them, there would be no car counts, that would draw fans to watch, and pay the purses. Bob

9/10/08, 3:48 PM   #13
nonwingfan33

I believe right now the tracks in Indiana do all have the same rules, aren't they all open at this point. That would mean these motors would be legal to run. Also, I would be interested in the torque of these motors. I am one that still believes that once you hit 750 hp on these Indiana tracks you have more than enough hp. I watched a car qualify 14th at border wars at Gas City a couple of years ago with less than 700hp, 650hp would have been pushing it in this car.

9/10/08, 3:51 PM   #14
Stagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
How about simply cutting the tire size in half where this motor could run with anything most nights?

That makes too much sense. Nevermind

You are right... That is way to easy of a solution......

9/10/08, 3:59 PM   #15
LEADERS EDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRacer View Post
The engine rules are different than USAC's at most Indiana tracks?
There are no weight rules either. Same for traction control.(How about digging up that dead horse for a few more whacks)No wheel width rules either. There are guys running 14",15", and 16" LR Wheels(Sometimes a RR on the LR to even up stagger) and there are guys running
16",17",18" and even 20" RR wheels. All of which is fine in my opinion.

There are basically no engine rules at the tracks in Indiana. Bloomington either has has a twin cam or a no turbo rule. I don't remember which.

There are several different combinations running today. There are 305's,355's,
360's,377's,406's,410's, and 430's. Some steel blocks and some wet sump's.

I don't know of anyone that has had their engine pumped after a win. Nor do I believe they should.

The only reason there is a tire rule is because Hoosier pays the tracks.

When everyone on Hoseheads or in other areas are complaining about the costs of 410 racing, they are talking about the winged cars. I'm not saying that motors are cheap, but there are alot of alternatives because there are no rules.

It works itself out. The less rules and restrictions means less division amongst the competitors. Look at the tire rule. I know some people,not many, but some who won't run a track other than an open tire track because they don't want to switch back and forth. Same goes for guys who run DT3 tires only. Before if these guys wanted to do something else they would, but now they might not go if they have to switch from one compound to another.

USAC has to have the rules they do because without them the costs would sky rocket even more. Although; you don't have to run a 410 or even an aluminum motor. I think the rules they have don't allow you to have a motor larger than 410 and I believe it has to be a dry sump(Although I doubt they would send you home if it wasn't).

The opposite is true for the Indiana scene and the beauty is that there aren't any/many rules to follow and that leads to alot of freedom to compete when and where you would like with basically whatever you would like.

9/10/08, 5:13 PM   #16
riskybrisky5

How about tracks replacing one of the support series with a spec engine series. Some could use it for a stepping stone to the 410 class. Or you could just choose this class to have fun and drive a sprint car not costing you as much as the full blown cars. Two sprint car classes at our local tracks would be great to see.

9/10/08, 5:17 PM   #17
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

When I was a young lad, My father used to take me to the track (Early 70s) Namely LBurg but I distinctly remember a guy with a limp (Somebody give me his name) Checking tire width. To say this would be new is way off the mark

They say you can't put all that HP down but I'll be damned if I haven't seen it several times like last years MSCS Burg race. Take the search for HP out of the equation and leave it to setup and driving.

Somebody said the wider wheels/tires makes the cars more stable, How come there are more flips than ever?

Chuck, who probably should keep his trap shut on this, I have no dog other than wanting to see as many people able to do this sport as possible and I don't want a 305-360-358 class. I want a class that is the top that any engine with a little balls could compete in.

9/10/08, 6:19 PM   #18
DonRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I want a class that is the top that any engine with a little balls could compete in.
Charles,

Your not trying to say "No Wimps Allowed" are you?

With Respect,
Don

9/10/08, 6:29 PM   #19
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRacer View Post
Charles,

Your not trying to say "No Wimps Allowed" are you?

With Respect,
Don
I made no mention of wings Don but my preference is non winged. Been quite awhile since I seen a 360 winged race. Then they were even more uneventful and less passing than the 410.

I could however see em winged and I believe ASCS has a lot of success with some strict rules on cost

I just remember a lot of guys with not a lot of money running sprints. This is becoming rarer and rarer. If you could put on damn good shows in this class with 10.000 dollar motors, Why should you have to have 40+ grand in one to run up front?. Taking the bite out is the only even way to control motor cost. If that 900hp engine can't get you around any faster than a 750hp then why spend all the extra?

Drivers, setups and noise are what make this sport. I don't care if you got a 700 CI engine or a 250 CI if it is exciting and in some cases people being hooked up and haulin is becoming as boring as their winged counterparts.

What makes a show non boring to me? Passing and running three wide not a car winning by half a lap even though they earned it fair and square
Chuck

9/10/08, 7:16 PM   #20
Fisher79

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskybrisky5 View Post
How about tracks replacing one of the support series with a spec engine series. Some could use it for a stepping stone to the 410 class. Or you could just choose this class to have fun and drive a sprint car not costing you as much as the full blown cars. Two sprint car classes at our local tracks would be great to see.
This is exactly what I have been thinking. Two sprint classes would be awesome. The few car owners out there that still hire drivers could have another avenue to scope out talent, and like Kevin said, the guys who want to drive sprint cars but don't have the $$$ would have a cheaper option.

I don't know what formula would work best, but what about a class that:

Didn't allow aluminum motors or fuel injection

Didn't allow any cockpit adjustments (shocks, weight jackers)

Didn't allow sway bars (they're just more money and equipment to tear up)

Made you run your heat and start the feature on the same tire

I'm sure there are more things you could add that would cut costs, but I think a class like this would really work. Not sure, but with these rules you could field a sprint car for roughly the same money as a modified, I'm guessing. It would also give extended life to teams' old frames and spares.

Any other ideas?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chevy test there sprint engine