IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Pavement Midgets
11/12/15, 7:32 PM   #11
Re: USAC Pavement Midgets
Vukie

The P1 and P2 cars of the WEC series can get two or three stints before a tire change.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
11/12/15, 7:33 PM   #12
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprntr View Post
F1 cars pit once or twice per race for a 4 tire change.
They have to use two different tire compounds during an F1 race.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Robbie
11/12/15, 7:43 PM   #13
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Yeah because of a gimmick of having to run both sets of compounds at some point in the race. I've been told they could run the whole race on one set. If my info is wrong, Please correct me. And I have no idea what one of those tires cost.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 11/12/15 at 7:44 PM.

11/12/15, 8:19 PM   #14
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Yeah because of a gimmick of having to run both sets of compounds at some point in the race. I've been told they could run the whole race on one set. If my info is wrong, Please correct me. And I have no idea what one of those tires cost.
No, they are junk after one stint.

11/12/15, 9:13 PM   #15
captrat

Specialized cars and tires to match that type car. Old enough to remember Eldora Sat night and Winchester Sun pm

11/12/15, 9:36 PM   #16
v8j

The other thing is no TV,$35-$45k midget motors, and testing all take a toll on a budget. With all that being said I believe I was a part of Racing during the best time of Midget Racing.1994-2003

11/12/15, 10:01 PM   #17
treecitytornado

The VW era of the late 70s and throughout the 80s was the mighty Midgets' hay day! Great car counts on pavement and dirt! Cost was reasonable!

11/12/15, 10:30 PM   #18
MWRmgr1010

I agree that pavement racing is definitely struggling but it is not completely dead here in the Midwest. USAC definitely let a lot of air out of the balloon when they shut pavement down but STARS who runs at Grundy County Speedway in Morris, IL is trying to keep the Pavement midget alive.

In 2015 they ran AR tires which would last a couple of nights. I've heard some discussions regarding motors and how to help control costs. It all comes down to the mighty cost. If pavement is your thing you might consider looking into STARS.

My team will be running D2 in 2016 but we will also be running a pavement car with an Ecotec. The only way to save pavement is with a passion for it. A passion to find 50 hp in the chassis and not pour the liquid gold into motors.

Just a thought...but have motors become so much because drivers are unable to make a car work for them through setup? Midget pavement setup is a fine art but HP can make a bad setup work. I'm not saying I know how to pavement midgets. I am saying I will do what I can to support pavement midgets.

Scott Corry
MWR Team Manager

2 members like this post: Pat O'Connor Fan, stew60
11/13/15, 2:04 AM   #19
sprntr

Quote:
Lap times fall off enough to make it worth the time it takes to pit to change tires.

11/13/15, 5:16 PM   #20
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
I've said for a long time, If F1 can run one tire on a 2000pd machine pushing 10gs at time in corners and breaking for 2hrs on one tire. Why can't a sprint or midget have tires to last 3-4 nights?

It might sound stupid to some. I don't think its unfeasible. Even if that one tire was 4-600 dollars. They can run street vettes, stangs and porches around the road course for a hour and drive em home on the same tire.
Quote:
Quote:
I few years ago it was actually a rule that you could only have one set of tires for an entire race. (Not allowed to change tires) But at that time you could still refuel, so they would stop for gas and no tires. Now they wore and slowed down and lost grip and all that stuff; but they didn't blow out on a regular basis either. (When they did it was usually after a driver flat spotted the heck out of them)

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Pavement Midgets