IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Forced Induction Open Wheel Racers?
4/20/15, 4:52 PM   #11
TQ29m

My engine of choice for a 305 class, would have to be a 302 Ford, but they probably ain't legal! Bob

1 member likes this post: DAD
4/20/15, 5:04 PM   #12
badcoupe

Top end pull is great but with careful compressor and turbine size selections you can make one spool quick and fall off earlier. I've turboed plenty of cars for customers and friends alike and turbo selection is key you can make the same engine two totally different ways. Tuning the ve tables and timing maps as well plays a big part in spool time and power output or just plain exploding it!

4/20/15, 5:13 PM   #13
Re: Forced Induction Open Wheel Racers?
DAD

Bob

Them little Boss 302 Mustangs used to eat them Z-28s alive and spit them out. Might recruit Mr Link as a driver? BUT>>>They ain't made any of them things for like 20 years now.

Bad

Sure would be fun to play with if people were not so darned "ANAL" !! The manufactures give you a little wiggle room on performance but the bigger the boost the bigger the bang and in some cases the explosion also.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 4/20/15 at 5:19 PM.

4/20/15, 5:17 PM   #14
TQ29m

You can still build one, or at least I can! Bob

4/20/15, 5:21 PM   #15
badcoupe

The ford would def be the way to go. I did one of my pieces in engineering school about how terribly designed the sbc is. Only good thing about them is that they have lots of head bolts! Funny how the new style ls motors share a lot with the little Ol Windsor design. NASCAR repeatedly denied ford better head designs through the years saying the c3 Yates head was already "too good" when they wanted to bring on the sc1 and a few other variants. I've had both C3 and SC1's on my motor that was in the mustang, they're hard to beat and better than anything the general ever did at the time.

4/20/15, 5:21 PM   #16
DAD

Bob

You are right. In fact you could build one and not use a single Ford part in the build.

Honest Dad himself

4/20/15, 5:26 PM   #17
DAD

Bad

The problem with Ford's was the danged old cranks>>>> and I never could remember the firing order and then when I got close to remembering it they changed it on me again. So I gave up. Well to be fair Chevy engine builders changed their firing order also.

Now some of these little V6 motors fire 1-2-3-4-5-6 I guess they was thinking about me.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 4/20/15 at 5:32 PM.

1 member likes this post: SWScaleChassis
4/21/15, 8:36 AM   #18
bobby01

Dad
I'll let you in on a little secret there is only 2 ways to fire a 90 degree V/8 engine. If you number and wire a 289-302 like a chevy it's exactly the same.
They have been making a big deal about the 5/7 swap on the chevys but that's only the windsor firing order.
I have to agree about all racers and rules makers living in the past. The rule makers and the aftermarket don't want to change because they are making to much money by forcing the racer to buy there logoed parts. I can't imagine how much money IMCA is getting for casting there logo on there spec 23 degree cast iron heads.
Bobby Layne

4/21/15, 10:32 AM   #19
DAD

Bobby

It is kind of nice being old and stepping on people's toes all the time. Something I always wanted to do when I was younger but was always afraid of doing.

What you and I are saying I think is that rules are not made for the racers but for the people making a living off of the racer. Most racers are racing with engines designed more than a half century ago. The reason for this is like I told Bob>>>If he wanted to he could build his 302 Ford engine and not put one single Ford part in the thing...At the same time automakers have been moving right along making newer and more efficient power plants that go unused because the rules have been fashioned to prevent their use in racing in favor of the "OLD Tried and True Designs" making some people a very good living at the expense of the racer.

You are racing a junkyard race motor that just happens to make 200 Horsepower per Liter for about $2000,00. That averages out $10.00 per horsepower. On the other hand a guy may be racing a full midget with 350 horsepower for $35,000.00 that figures out to $100.00 per horsepower. His motor is over stressed and will require a costly freshen up in about 20 races>>>on the other hand your motor is under stressed and may live for 2 or 3 seasons with nothing but oil and filter changes.

Times change technology continues to improve exponentially but racers like "Ground Hog's Day" stay stuck in the past.

Honest Dad himself

4/21/15, 12:28 PM   #20
badcoupe

Cranks no Problem anymore, the NASCAR stuff used 302 main size in ford and Chevy motors and Honda rod size 1.880 as well. My 3.34 stroke sonny Bryant crank weighed a mere 31 lbs!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Forced Induction Open Wheel Racers?