IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Plymouth Speedway Battle At The Bullring 6/16
6/17/12, 12:45 PM   #11
Re: Plymouth Speedway Battle At The Bullring 6/16
racer-x

It is nights like this i would hate to be the promoter of a event like this. I am sure Tony would have rather been at Plymouth helping Irish and Eric out then driving that last taxicab practice..Hopfully the real racers and fans will understand as it was not anyones fault really.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
6/18/12, 12:27 PM   #12
sfracer55

I'd like to thank all that came. We will have the track better next time. The cushion and berm was difficult to manage as my pack trucks could only do so much. Those national guard vehicles were so heavy they were leaving grooves in the corners that I tried to smoothen out with the other trucks. We will rethink the packing process as long as it doesn't rain just before the show. I wanted some sprints out there as hot laps started to finish packing the top 1/2 of the track with those big tires but I didn't get what I wanted.

As far as the miscommunication, I know we will meet with SOD officials prior to the event starting. We were given the chance to have a driver's meeting with SOD drivers which was great, but then as Eric point's out, things changed. It was a combination of rain, Smoke, and rushing the show that created different things coming from different officials.

I can promise, we will have that worked out next event. I think this track provides a unique racing opportunity.

Matt Schwartz

6/18/12, 12:47 PM   #13
SETracing

Race Count This Year: 57

I know they rescheduled for august 18, what are our options if we cannot make the reschedule date due to a scheduling conflict. Our cars running at the rockford speedway. So, as far as pit passes being reimbursed or valid for a different night of races what are our options. We have been to the first 2 dirt shows and are planning on bringing our midget for the usac dirt show july 7. Any info would be great because I don't want to lose the 30 we paid for pit passes this past Saturday .

Thanks
Matt Schuck
SETracing 52 and 53

Posted via Mobile Device

6/18/12, 1:36 PM   #14
koolaid89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfracer55 View Post
I'd like to thank all that came. We will have the track better next time. The cushion and berm was difficult to manage as my pack trucks could only do so much. Those national guard vehicles were so heavy they were leaving grooves in the corners that I tried to smoothen out with the other trucks. We will rethink the packing process as long as it doesn't rain just before the show. I wanted some sprints out there as hot laps started to finish packing the top 1/2 of the track with those big tires but I didn't get what I wanted.

As far as the miscommunication, I know we will meet with SOD officials prior to the event starting. We were given the chance to have a driver's meeting with SOD drivers which was great, but then as Eric point's out, things changed. It was a combination of rain, Smoke, and rushing the show that created different things coming from different officials.

I can promise, we will have that worked out next event. I think this track provides a unique racing opportunity.

Matt Schwartz
Is the same guy as the first event overseeing the track prep? I saw some video posted by the track on Facebook and it looked like a free for all. Everything from a 2 seater recreational vehicle that looked like they were on a 20 lap qualifying run to a couple of military issue humvees all with no organization or purpose other than playing in the "mud".

6/18/12, 3:59 PM   #15
sfracer55

For answers to questions about re-using pit passes, etc. it is best to call the track at 574-936-0900. Leave a message it if allows. Or you can email at plymouthspeedway@yahoo.com

Chris, as far as watching video of guys driving around a very wet track, hold judgment on how well it was run. Yes, a few were having fun with it. It was very wet and we were thankful for the assistance the National Guard provided as well as a couple spectators that volunteered. Those videos were shot early and doesn't show the grader skimming off the oversaturated clay as well as the other pack vehicles that joined. I personally was overseeing the packing once the grader got on the track. If you were there, you would have seen me directing traffic along with the flagman. New drainage was added to the backstretch about two weeks ago and it really did save the show, or as much as we could get in. As far as being better prepared for an overly wet track, I would agree we should have more efficient pack vehicles.

6/18/12, 5:59 PM   #16
koolaid89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfracer55 View Post
Chris, as far as watching video of guys driving around a very wet track, hold judgment on how well it was run. Yes, a few were having fun with it. It was very wet and we were thankful for the assistance the National Guard provided as well as a couple spectators that volunteered.
Sometimes it's better to say thanks but no thanks, when it comes to help. I know it's neat to see the military vehicles ride around the track, but those humvees are WAY to heavy with as narrow of a tire as they have to do anything but create ruts. But that's just my opinion.

As far as having enough vehicles to run in a over saturated track, you can only be so prepared and forget about trying to predict what Ma' Nature is going to do...

6/18/12, 6:03 PM   #17
Eric Smith

That was one of the things I was talking about. The PA guy asked for all the sprints on the track. So I took my wing off and was halfway in the car when a SOD guy came around and said we were hotlapping in 10 minutes. Guess I got to practice wing changes if nothing else. As bad as the sprints don't want to help run in a track, they have to be the best option with them big ole fat tires.

6/18/12, 7:26 PM   #18
sfracer55

Eric, does this car look familiar?
Attached Images
plymout ericsmith.jpg (69.3 KB, 94 views)

6/19/12, 5:39 AM   #19
Eric Smith

Actually, that car looks just like the one that followed me home. Cool picture. Thanks.

Posted via Mobile Device

6/19/12, 9:15 AM   #20
stockracer

What were the car counts at Plymouth Sat. ? I have heard around 33 600's but nothing else.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Plymouth Speedway Battle At The Bullring 6/16