IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MLB Players Involvement with USAC teams
12/30/09, 11:27 PM   #11
Re: MLB Players Involvement with USAC teams
Tripcrwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman View Post
Back in the 80s there was a NBA player who would show up at Placerville Ca. He would pay different drive to mud pack thier car . He played for the Kings , he committed killed himself . Cant rememeber his name .
Your question about the NBA player's involvement led me to the following. Its Winter and I guess I have nothing else to do

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
William Clintard Robinzine Shooting guard / Small forward
Born January 20, 1953(1953-01-20)
Chicago, Illinois
Died September 16, 1982 (aged 29)
Kansas City, Missouri
Nationality USA
Listed height 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)
Listed weight 235 lb (107 kg)
College Depaul
Draft 10th overall, 1st Round, 1975
Kansas City Kings
Pro career 1975–1982
Former teams Kansas City Kings(1974–1980)
Dallas Mavericks (1980–1981)
Cleveland Cavaliers (1981)

Utah Jazz (1981–1982)

William Clintard "Bill" Robinzine (January 20, 1953 – September 16, 1982) was an American professional basketball player.

Born in Chicago, Illinois, Robinzine grew to be a 6' 7" forward from DePaul University. He played seven seasons (1975–1982) in the NBA, competing for the Kansas City Kings, Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks, and Utah Jazz. In the highlight footage of Darryl Dawkins shattering a backboard dunking at Kansas City's Municipal Auditorium, Robinzine can be seen running away with his face in his hands during the play. When Dawkins gave a name to the dunk, part of the name was "Robinzine Cryin'"

While not much of a scorer, Robinzine was known as a tough rebounder and one of the better defensive players in the league at the power forward position. He played for the Kings for five seasons, and then was released to make room for Reggie King.

In September 1982, Robinzine committed suicide in his car by carbon monoxide poisoning at a storage place in Kansas City, Missouri [1]. He was not on any NBA team's roster at that time. Survivors: sister, Kerentz Whorley, Brother, Kurt Robinzine, and Mother Betty Robinzine

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

And this from the NY Times:

Robinzine Found Dead

Published: September 17, 1982
The police reported today that Bill Robinzine, a forward for the Utah Jazz last season, was found dead in his parked car, an apparent suicide.

Robinzine's wife had filed a missing-persons report with the police Wednesday morning after she returned home and found a note indicating that he might attempt suicide, the police said.

They were called to a building on the city's southeast side at 12:10 P.M. today, where they found Robinzine's body in the back seat of his car.

''Preliminary investigation indicates the death was a suicide and the cause of death points to carbon monoxide poisoning,'' the police said.

Robinzine, 29 years old, had played in the National Basketball Association for seven seasons after being drafted from De Paul University by Kansas City in 1975. He also played for Cleveland and Dallas and joined Utah in August 1981. His contract with the Jazz expired at the end of last season, making him a free agent. Laura Herlovich, the team's publicist, said that there had been no negotiations about a new contract and that he was considering going to Italy to play.

12/30/09, 11:32 PM   #12
richie

Any info on Ricky Berry, Tripcrwn?

Ricky Berry was a Sacramento King; Bill Robinzine was a Kansas City King, which would make it more likely that Berry would be at Placerville.
Last edited by richie; 12/30/09 at 11:37 PM.

12/30/09, 11:43 PM   #13
bigmojo5

Let's go old school. I read a biography on Ty Cobb back when I was in high school (40 years ago). He rode as a riding mechanic for some races in the Atlanta area until the Detroit Tigers and Major League Baseball found out. This was in the 1910s. Soon had a clause in his next contract against such activity.
Jim Morrison

1 member likes this post: fish
12/31/09, 8:00 AM   #14
Tripcrwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie View Post
Any info on Ricky Berry, Tripcrwn?

Ricky Berry was a Sacramento King; Bill Robinzine was a Kansas City King, which would make it more likely that Berry would be at Placerville.
I don't know if Berry ever made it to Placerville, might not have been to his liking (just a guess). Berry played for a number of years with the San Francisco/Golden State Warriors. So he may have visited the race track in Placerville, but I doubt it (what do I know). A couple of years ago Berry had a radio show on KNBR San Francisco and broadcast from his home somewhere in the Rockies. He no longer broadcasts as far as I know. He was one of the best in the NBA. A real hot dog!

Not the NBA or MLB, but most should remember the Bear's great running back Walter Payton and his involvement with Dale Coyne's Champcar/Indy race team.
Last edited by Tripcrwn; 12/31/09 at 8:05 AM.

12/31/09, 8:33 AM   #15
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripcrwn View Post
Not the NBA or MLB, but most should remember the Bear's great running back Walter Payton and his involvement with Dale Coyne's Champcar/Indy race team.
As well as the Joe Montana/Chip Ganassi effort.

---------- Post added at 06:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Daloisio View Post
If I remember correctly ex-Major League slugger Rob Deer ran some winged races in Arizona about 10 years ago. That may explain Yount being there (Deer's longest stint with any team was with the Milwaukee Brewers and Yount).

Thanks Scott, I had forgotten about Rob Deer, now it's all coming back.
David.

12/31/09, 9:20 AM   #16
fifthwheel

back in the late 90's I went to a TBARA sprint race at Charlotte Co. FL in early March. Jack Clark and Mike Greenwell sat next to me and my daughter that evening after a spring training game. Nice Guys and real race fans. I think Greenwell did some racing after he retired and I know Clark became involved in top fuel NHRA as an owner and even drove some.

12/31/09, 9:23 AM   #17
Seadog

I recall that Rich Leavell played pro baseball before turning to sprint cars back in the day. I don't know if he was in the majors or not, but it was one of those tidbits that the announcers used as a guy would come out to qualify. I remember that red and white 61 Leffler chassis that he drove.

12/31/09, 9:39 AM   #18
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
I recall that Rich Leavell played pro baseball before turning to sprint cars back in the day. I don't know if he was in the majors or not, but it was one of those tidbits that the announcers used as a guy would come out to qualify. I remember that red and white 61 Leffler chassis that he drove.

Gregg,
That was one of my all time favorite cars. My Dad was friends with the owner Virgil Welch. So I got to sit in the car as a small kid quite often.
Good times!
David.

ps....I think Leavell was Welch's son-in-law? Memory sucks, maybe Duke remembers.

another photo here:
http://ovalmeister.webs.com/apps/pho...otoid=26594913

Last edited by Ovalmeister; 12/31/09 at 9:48 AM. Reason: spelling

1 member likes this post: K9Racer
12/31/09, 9:55 AM   #19
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripcrwn View Post

I remember it. Walter is my all-time stick and ball sports hero. I got to meet him in the garage area at Michigan International Speedway at a CART race back in 1996. I talked to him a little bit and got to shake his hand...which just about broke mine with his grip.

I wanted him to sign something, but the only thing close was an Andre Ribeiro (pretty good Indy driver back in those days) hero card. He said, I guess I can sign that. So he turned it over. The card had more information on the back as well as a picture of Steve Horne who was the President of Tasman motosports. He said, well I can sign this even though it's not us, but I will have to do some drawing on it. So he put a French bare, a monocle, moustache, and beard on Steve with the Sharpie. He then signed his name next to it. He told me that he felt better about signing it and he thought Steve looked better. I'll never forget that and I still have the card with all of my other racing stuff.

It was pretty cool that Coyne's team got a win this year at Watkins Glen after all of those years of trying. I thought of Walter and I'm sure they did too.

12/31/09, 10:19 AM   #20
short track scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie View Post
Ricky Berry?
It was Scooter Berry. Hot lapped Kaeding's car in the early 90s a couple times. Played for Golden State if I recall.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MLB Players Involvement with USAC teams