IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > cry baby racing staring clauson and jones!!
10/4/09, 10:01 AM   #11
Re: cry baby racing staring clauson and jones!!
J.D.

Maybe in all fairness to the race teams, if a series or track is going to draw for positions, they should use a system that includes passing points when lining up the semi feature and the main. Let's face it, drawing is luck, but qualifying is in a way depending on track conditions when it is a drivers time is to go out and qualify. Many times the track has gone away for the late qualifiers. I say passing points would be one solution.

10/4/09, 10:01 AM   #12
Lucky161

I respect the right of anyone to make either a business decision or a decision with their heart, which ever they feel is most appropriate for them. However, in my 50 years of being around racing, mostly as a fan, sometimes as a driver and car owner, I've never heard of this happening. I wouldn't doubt that it has, I just never heard of it. Personally I was appalled the first time a driver told me he wouldn't be running the following weekend because he was going on vacation. I thought the time to decide whether or not to run a race was decided at home before loading up and towing the car to the track, not after I found out where I would start in the heat races. Sure it's tough to come from the back especially with a good field of cars, but it's done all the time. I once bet against my favorite Gary Wright at the Devils Bowl because he was starting 18th in a good field of cars. He won anyway and in doing so put on one of the best driving performances I've ever seen. The Sprint Series of Texas, a Racesaver series has a rule where if you win the feature in the previous race, you must (if you make the main) start in the rear. I've never seen anyone refuse to do so. Of course the whole idea of the Racesaver series is for racers who love to race but can't afford the more expensive cars.

10/4/09, 10:05 AM   #13
Rpracing1

I have NEVER in my 30 years of watching races seen teams pull out because of a starting draw..........Sad days indeed.................

3 members like this post: buck2, Dirtfan, E.P.
10/4/09, 10:11 AM   #14
spicoli

No guts. No class. No clue.

Maybe you could go race NAPCAR and have your spotter tell the guys in front of you to pull over.

It's OK for other guys to start on the last row, but not you?

I thought this was called RACING, not poor baby, didn't get a good draw, can't race and actually PASS anybody.

Don't be even more disrespectful and tell me this was a business decision. You already paid for the gas to get there, already paid for the pit passes, already put some wear on the motor and tires. Car was already dirty.

STUPID business decision. You invested what it took to get there, then eliminated any chance of ever getting THAT money back. Puhleeze.

You didn't know you'd draw for the starting spots?

Disrespectful to the fans. Disrespectful to the track. Disrespectful to the Sport.

You dig yourself a deeper hole by coming on here and saying you're sorry, it was a "business"decision.

It was a classless, clueless, chickensh*t, no guts decision. Admit that much and I'll have an ounce of respect for you.

4 members like this post: buck2, Dirtfan, lbudde5
10/4/09, 10:14 AM   #15
Gregg

1. First off. I came to watch a sprint car race with 24 car/driver combinations in the feature. I think we can all say this objective was achieved.

2. While I would have liked to see Bryan and Levi run last night there were still a great many other drivers I would gladly see race. I had a great time, saw a great race and absolutely got my moneys worth.

3. Even though I know it takes a lot of money to race sprint cars I'm sure if I took a look at the balance sheet it would probably still astound me. Tim Clauson does not need to apologize to me. I'm always going to be a fan.

4. Just my opinion but there needs to be something better than a pill draw with big events such as this. Maybe the USAC format of some sort of qualifying, qualifying races and four heats is the better way to go.

5. Sorry 5JMOFFATTFAN! There's no crying in short track racing, especially with Levi Jones and the Clauson family.

3 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, Motormasher, Panama
10/4/09, 10:30 AM   #16
RacingGirl10

Unfortunately with the format, I can see why you made that decision Tim. Not gonna lie, at first I found it quite silly. But after consideration I get it. Starting last (or 7th in a heat) with at least 3 awesome drivers starting in the first 2 rows (even if they weren't awesome the chances of passing up to 2nd on a spread out race track are slim). Then. Your chances of getting buried in a b main taking 4 are also high. And maybe if you're good enough to transfer you're so buried in a feature, again IF you transfer. Then you're in the back on a race track that isn't the
easiest to pass on. (not bashing the track don't even go there). Then you may get caught up in some wreck in the the back on the 2nd lap....but I digress. My point, if you look at the people putting the cars on the track starting last in a heat race that takes 2...isn't very good odds to get any return on your night. They aren't putting their cars out there for nothing, we all know it's a losing sport, but if you're at that big of a disadvantage when you walk in the door it makes it a little tougher. Yes I know someone has to start last but tim did what he felt he needed to do for his team, it's his right as the one putting the car on the track.

My usual disclaimer: these opinions are mine, not jerry's or his teams or car owners, just sitting at Winchester putting in my $0.02
Posted via Mobile Device

10/4/09, 10:37 AM   #17
SPRINTCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR39 View Post
well all i got to say is sorry to all the fans of BC that he did not run but until people relize what it costs to run these cars and we are doing it out of our own pocket you will understand our decision not race.
Isn't half the cost just getting there? Run your heat and then see where you stand. Come on it's the end of the year, are these guys trying to set a trend and change the way it is being done format wise?

10/4/09, 10:42 AM   #18
Rpracing1

So its ok for all of the guys that should start last rows in there respective heat races to load up and leave????????????????????

Everybody who showed up knew the format.........No Excuse.........

1 member likes this post: lbudde5
10/4/09, 10:47 AM   #19
1021gpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINTCAR View Post
Isn't half the cost just getting there? Run your heat and then see where you stand. Come on it's the end of the year, are these guys trying to set a trend and change the way it is being done format wise?
my thoughts exactly why would you spend money on pit passes and all the other stuff and load up and go home and not even run a heat?see what happens and where you in up in the heat then make the call to load up or not

10/4/09, 11:03 AM   #20
farriswheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR39 View Post
well all i got to say is sorry to all the fans of BC that he did not run but until people relize what it costs to run these cars and we are doing it out of our own pocket you will understand our decision not race.
Is this a joke?! I understand it costs money, but if you didn't want to race why did you show up with a car...did you show up with the expectations you were going to start up front??? its called RACING, not lucky pill drawing...suck it up and show why you are one of the best in the nation. As far as money out of your own pocket...there are many teams that don't have half the funds you do. You didn't have any problems racing when you drew a number up front or in the middle of the pack.

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson View Post
First and foremost I want to apologize to Dave Rudisell, Lawrenceburg Speedway, MSCS, and ESPECIALLY THE FANS for “MY” decision to load up last night.
I want to make clear that neither,myself, Bryan, or any member of our team felt cheated in anyway by MSCS and their format. We knew when we pulled in the pits what the format was and after drawing as we did and looking at the risk vs reward in running I made a business decision not to run. It was my decision and my decision only.
Sadly as we fight to stay viable to stay in this form of motorsports the business side of the sport will overrule the emotional side of the sport in more and more instances. This is the first time in my 25+ years in the sport where I let a business decision overrule my heart. Believe me it killed me to do what I did last night.

Sincerely,
Tim Clauson

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

We did not solicit anyone to buy tires for this or any other race.

Thanks

Tim Clauson
Thanks for that...sorry I posted before I read all of the comments. I respect you for making an apology

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > cry baby racing staring clauson and jones!!