IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Walkout songs from the 2022 smackdown field
8/30/22, 6:04 AM   #11
Andrew S. Quinn

They used to play Rapid Roy the Stock car boy by Jim Croce at my local track when I was growing up.

Surprised no one had “Drivers Seat” a one hit wonder from Sniff and the tears. Then again this song is older than most of the drivers, although their grandparents probably listened to it in the late 70’s.
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 8/30/22 at 6:52 AM.

8/30/22, 6:37 AM   #12
Blackduce

I thought this was great stuff. I never heard of this before. So many different insights to a sport that we all enjoy. I like.

Lynn
Last edited by Blackduce; 8/30/22 at 6:40 AM.

2 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, Ilovedirttrackracing
8/30/22, 7:50 AM   #13
Re: Usac: Walkout songs from the 2022 smackdown field
Jonr

So, I generally hate driver introductions, but for very special events, I will endure through them. To have walk out music for the drivers does make for the intros to be more interesting. To see the recap was interesting.

2 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, Ilovedirttrackracing
8/30/22, 8:43 AM   #14
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
I was going to stick up for Mike, but then I took the time to find and listen to "Jerry Was a Race Car Driver" by Primus the was T-Mez' selection. Simply classic.
Everyone should listen to more Primus. Les Claypool is one of the best bass players in music history. Plays lead guitar with a bass guitar.

Alex Bright wasn't in the A-Main but is one the list. Alex Bright "Blinded by the Light" is classic. He even picked the original Springsteen version not the Manfred Mann cover one.

8/30/22, 9:05 AM   #15
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Not being there, I don't care either.

However driver introductions are neat and a rare event.

Still thing the best introductions were Terry Baltes at Eldora Our next driver hails from Bloomington indiana. He's a ten time Kings Royal participant and three time KING. Please welcome King third, fifth and seventh STEVE KINSER..........

5 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, flagboy55, mc/rider, PIT CART, racenut69
8/30/22, 10:39 AM   #16
Pancho Stapp

opnwhlmnd is spot on. Wynonas big brown beaver and My name is mud are both on my playlist. Check out some Primus. Myself i like the intro’s 👍🏼

4 members like this post: Blitzman, DirtTrackTherapy16J, fish, racenut69
8/30/22, 1:06 PM   #17
JarrettFarms73

I do!!! In my almost 50 years on this earth, the only thing i’ve been around more than music (42 years) is racing at Kokomo Speedway (50 years)!

Mom was pregnant with me taking my older siblings to the track. Started piano lessons in 3rd grade, switched to saxophone in 5th before switching one last time to drums the last 30 years.

Love to see drivers personalities through choices as well as keep in touch with the young guns picks. Every year it seems there are more artists i’ve never heard of. Must be getting old. Haha

3 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, PIT CART, racenut69
8/30/22, 1:11 PM   #18
DirtTrackTherapy16J

To Stevensville Mike, yes I do care. You wanted a response, there it is. Now why? This is one of the many kool things that make Smackdown standout. Maybe there is somewhere but I have never been to or watched another race where each driver picks out a song for their introduction. Furthermore instead of the entire front stretch or entire back stretch seeing them all, they split them up for the fans, which has everyone involved. It's okay you dont care, your choice, but some of us enjoy it, regardless of music taste.

Now onto to something that I wonder and dont have an exact answer for. Is this list made up prior to any racing starting the final night? Alex Bright WAS in the Feature/A Main...he had to use a Provisional, but none the less he started the Feature. Pulled into the infield about half way through coming off turn 2. Now there are several on this list that was NOT in the Feature. Sterling Cling, Dustin Clark, Carson Garrett, and unfortunately Korbyn Haslett. Sadly we all know where he was. Then to boot, Scotty Weir did not walk out to Made For This-Carrollton. Scotty walked out to Sandman-Metallica.

The JMac thing I do also find very interesting. I cant read the name on the belt, the more I zoom in the more distorted it becomes, assuming it is CJs suit, only thing that makes any sense, and he picks Kung Fu Fighting, quite interesting. However knowing JMac it was likely some kind of joke, he has a great sense of humor and likes to clown and have fun.

All in all, I love the walk outs with music. One of the things I look forward to about Smackdown. I did it in high school playing sports and many many athletes do it at all levels and all different sports. Keep up the amazing show and work Kokomo Speedway, The O'Connor Family, and all others who are involved with Smackdown!!
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 8/30/22 at 1:19 PM.

2 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, JarrettFarms73
8/30/22, 1:32 PM   #19
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
Everyone should listen to more Primus. Les Claypool is one of the best bass players in music history. Plays lead guitar with a bass guitar.

Gee, I think he learned that from McCartney.

1 member likes this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J
8/30/22, 1:50 PM   #20
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Does anyone on IOW care? Honestly. Please respond. Does anyone care?

I don't.
I do. Not as much I do about the racing, it’s self. But I do care. Often their walkout song choices say something about those individuals’ personalities or their train of thought, at the moment. Confidence exudes in Cummins’ choice, for example. Right before the biggest race of the year, he’s telling everyone “This is ‘My House’”. And that’s pretty much become the truth there. Ballou’s choice of “9 to 5” reiterates one of his themes from this week. I’m a working guy, with blue collar roots. And Grant picked “Cowboy”. Anyone that’s ever seen him drive knows that’s a pretty accurate description. And a few years ago, the Madman was just coming off being in trouble with USAC, so he walked out to “In The Doghouse Now” by the great Hank Williams. Now, if you couldn’t get a chuckle out of that, you just don’t have much of a sense of humor.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 8/31/22 at 5:42 PM.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Walkout songs from the 2022 smackdown field