IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is Sam a Champ?
1/12/21, 12:59 PM   #11
Re: Is Sam a Champ?
jim goerge

I never cared for Sammy, but I respected his driving, but questioned that at times. I remember a interview with Kinser and another one with Wolfgang where both said basicaly samething Sammy will try to pass you for a lap and if that don"t work he"ll just knock you out of his way, and if it crashes you both its your fault.

1/12/21, 9:36 PM   #12
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Lowe View Post
The Chili Bowl had a problem when they allowed 30+ years of drivers and car owners that had won the Chili Bowl to enter the Race of Champions. You had drivers that never won the Chili Bowl driving for car owners that were deceased, and Chili Bowl champion car owners using drivers that were not champions of the Chili Bowl or any other organization.

I believe Donnie Schatz was allowed to run the Race of Champions his rookie year at the Chili Bowl driving a Clauson-Marshall Racing entry even though CMR never won the Chili Bowl (Bryan won in the Dooling/Kunz 63).

The Chili Bowl now has a system that rewards champions (World of Outlaws, ASCS, All Star Sprints, USAC sprints & midgets, and POWRi midgets), the top 3 finishers in the last 5 Chili Bowls, the top 2 finishers in the last 5 Race of Champions, and the preliminary night winners from the previous Chili Bowl.

This seems like a much more fair system to me that represents “champion” drivers.
OK, you're following your system, but (A) most fans, myself included, would like to see him (B)5 time CB winner would seem to be as "Champion" as anyone could be

1/15/21, 2:01 PM   #13
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 27
Race Count Last Year: 85

Common sense says you need to have a format and criteria but maybe it should be extended to allow the driver with the most Chili Bowl wins that is still active into the field if he does not make it with the other criteria. To me this is a sign of honor or respect to a driver and what is one more starting spot. Just my opinion.

Bruce Eckel

1/15/21, 2:47 PM   #14
Andrew S. Quinn

Daniel Robinson thought Sammy was #1 the other night

1/15/21, 3:07 PM   #15
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
Daniel Robinson thought Sammy was #1 the other night
Best part of week so far!

1/16/21, 3:28 AM   #16
treecitytornado

The Chili Bowl, " Race of Champions," needs to stay reserved for "Past Chili Bowl Champions!" That means Saturday Night Winners ONLY!! If the race has 2 cars or 7 or 8 cars, then so be it!! Put some actual $$ up to WIN it, too!!

If we are being honest, for the big time Sponsorships & TV Coverage of the Chili Bowl, the Purse has NOT increased to support this!! I realize it costs plenty to put the race on, but you can't tell me that substantial $$$ aren't being made year after year, but definitely NOT given back to the Teams & Racers.

5 members like this post: 95KART, duel, jim goerge, luckybuc97, mc/rider
1/16/21, 3:44 PM   #17
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Lowe View Post
The Chili Bowl had a problem when they allowed 30+ years of drivers and car owners that had won the Chili Bowl to enter the Race of Champions. You had drivers that never won the Chili Bowl driving for car owners that were deceased, and Chili Bowl champion car owners using drivers that were not champions of the Chili Bowl or any other organization.

I believe Donnie Schatz was allowed to run the Race of Champions his rookie year at the Chili Bowl driving a Clauson-Marshall Racing entry even though CMR never won the Chili Bowl (Bryan won in the Dooling/Kunz 63).

The Chili Bowl now has a system that rewards champions (World of Outlaws, ASCS, All Star Sprints, USAC sprints & midgets, and POWRi midgets), the top 3 finishers in the last 5 Chili Bowls, the top 2 finishers in the last 5 Race of Champions, and the preliminary night winners from the previous Chili Bowl.

This seems like a much more fair system to me that represents “champion” drivers.
I truly don't even care but to be devils advocate;
If this is supposed to be truly independent (Rules only open to interpretation), then why would you base anything off of sanction champions? So sick of the truly grassroots, hardworking, talented, racers getting shoved out of the way, for the big money Corporates. Just get rid of it since its just meaningless but very controversial. Why add this drama? Just go racing. GEEZ
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is Sam a Champ?