IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cornbelt nationals Question
6/26/19, 6:04 PM   #11
captrat

Painful and far too common. Scheduling against major events and other tracks is near epidemic. Those who are familiar with what happened to post WW II midget racing can see many similarities. Too many tracks, sanctioning bodies all vying for the same competitors and fans is not a good plan for the future. Over saturation in all current sports is problematic. Things become too commonplace and lose their unique appeal.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, tirespinner
6/26/19, 6:33 PM   #12
Re: Cornbelt nationals Question
BrentTFunk

If the Doc doesn't clear me, I may have to cancel going to Knoxville. Has anyone seen a payout for the MSCS at Putnamville? Saw it pays $4000 to win, but no other information. $25 seems a little high to me, when a $25 USAC race pays $5000 to win and $500 to start. Also no USAC sanction fee or USAC insurance cost. I am sure they will have a good car count and a good crowd to honor Bill. I would like to see how the total purse compares for the ticket price.

2 members like this post: opnwhlmnd, PIT CART
6/26/19, 6:47 PM   #13
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
Painful and far too common. Scheduling against major events and other tracks is near epidemic. Those who are familiar with what happened to post WW II midget racing can see many similarities. Too many tracks, sanctioning bodies all vying for the same competitors and fans is not a good plan for the future. Over saturation in all current sports is problematic. Things become too commonplace and lose their unique appeal.
Let's be clear here. This was already an established event. And a successful one. In this case, USAC pulled out of their night of the Bill Gardner Sprintacular and scheduled this event against it. That was fully their right to do so. But, no reasonable person would expect MSCS or Joe Spiker to either cancel their event or be forced to move it to a different date. Out there, they'll have all the USAC regular stars and the POWRi WAR Series, so there's enough of a lineup for a great race and car count. And there's going to be enough super drivers back here to provide us with a hell of an MSCS triple header racing weekend. There's enough really good, competitive local teams in this area that live, race and survive on a budget. It just doesn't make sense to expect a lot of those teams to pull their operation 350 miles to take on the top flight national teams, on a big, fast half mile oval. The same principle that always applies when the racing goes to the Action Track.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 6/26/19 at 8:21 PM.

6/26/19, 9:11 PM   #14
addictedtodirt

Lisa and I can't wait Jimmy. Been looking forward to it for some time. Lots of history at Kville, and we had a ball at the 2017 HOF induction of DD, and Elliot. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

2 members like this post: oppweld, tirespinner
6/26/19, 9:46 PM   #15
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
If the Doc doesn't clear me, I may have to cancel going to Knoxville. Has anyone seen a payout for the MSCS at Putnamville? Saw it pays $4000 to win, but no other information. $25 seems a little high to me, when a $25 USAC race pays $5000 to win and $500 to start. Also no USAC sanction fee or USAC insurance cost. I am sure they will have a good car count and a good crowd to honor Bill. I would like to see how the total purse compares for the ticket price.
In asking this question, are you saying that if you don’t like the purse you will sit at home??? I understand that if medical issues don’t allow you to travel you are on plan B, but I just want to understand the question from someone who has said on his board that people need to show up regardless of weather or day of the week or whatever else is an excuse. If you are just asking a question and sort of whining about the ticket price then oh well. Just seems funny you would put out a statement like that knowing you say go to the races no matter what.

6/26/19, 9:59 PM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Tracks work together to assure good car counts? Not unless they run both tracks.. Rain's not the only reason I've stayed home a couple saturdays.

6/26/19, 10:04 PM   #17
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
It’s in Bills honor Funk. Really no reason to try to dog. Unless you got a car entered why you care what total purse is? Why did USAC decide to schedule against this race? SMH

8 hours to Knoxville
2.5 Hours to Putnamville
I will support local track and Mr. Gardner and be at Putnamville.

3 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, PIT CART, tirespinner
6/26/19, 10:11 PM   #18
openwheelfan1

Not trying to start anything, but did Knoxville offer these dates and approach USAC and POWRi/WAR with the opportunity to sanction or did USAC request these dates from Knoxville? If Knoxville offered the dates and approached USAC and POWRi/WAR to sanction, how could they turn it down? Ever since Knoxville went wings for the Nationals, non-wing fans have said there needed to be a Nationals for traditional sprint cars. No, this isn’t exactly a Nationals format, but it is a first step.

Yes, some may call the Smackdown a Nationals style event, and it has certainly become a major event. But, with the Knoxville Nationals, the 360 Nationals and the Late Model Nationals (I know, I know, who cares about Late Models) all at Knoxville, and with the NSCHoF at Knoxville, it kind of makes sense that if there ever is a non-wing Nationals it be at Knoxville.

6/26/19, 10:51 PM   #19
ThrowbackRacingTeam

It is a bit disappointing to see that CRA booked against this. Back in the day the best California guys came out to run the Nationals and I'm guessing CRA/ Ascot didn't book against it. Maybe the owners told USAC they weren't coming out either way so why not have a race at home. It's also disappointing to see that they are running their weekly winged 410's with this too. They should offer them points to run in the non-wing program. That would add a few more cars. It seems like Knoxville was almost all in on this but not quite. I'm not sure that's good enough but it is a step in the right direction. Hopefully they have sense enough to prep the track with non-wing racing in mind. What I saw there last Saturday isn't going to cut it. Hard slick in hot laps will not showcase what non-wing cars can do and only make them look slow compared to wing cars. But, I'm sure there are forces there that will want just that so the local program doesn't get upstaged. We'll see. Definitely excited for this rare opportunity to see the non-wing cars at the Mecca of sprint car racing! Putnamville will have them the next week and the week after that and the week after that.......

4 members like this post: addictedtodirt, chrismattlin, duel, John P Huss
6/26/19, 11:17 PM   #20
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

This is what makes this country great. Everyone has options and choices. We support local tracks as often as we can, but also like to go somewhere different every once in a while. So whether you go to LPS or Knoxville - and for whatever reason - have a great time, be safe, and pray for dry weather. We’re excited to see members of our racing families in Knoxville next weekend. Wherever you go, you’ll see a damn good race.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cornbelt nationals Question