IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver Crown
10/14/16, 8:30 AM   #11
berks co

I agree with the Bridgeport NJ idea, It would be a great place for a USAC race!!!

2 members like this post: Backitin, davidm
10/14/16, 9:05 AM   #12
Re: Silver Crown
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by berks co View Post
I agree with the Bridgeport NJ idea, It would be a great place for a USAC race!!!
I've never been to Bridgeport. Bridgeport was built to pretty much replace Flemington Speedway by the same promoter.
Flemington was known as the fastest 5/8 mile dirt track in the world and had a atmosphere to match the speed. It was and is impossible to replace. Flemington was so great that to be honest I've never been to another track anywhere close and pretty much stopped going to dirt track racing after sampling my other choices here in the N.E. (I'd still be going to local tracks if the mods weren't now sbp)
That being said I'm sure Bridgeport would be a great track for sprints and champcars. Even if it is half what Flemington was it would still be real good.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
10/14/16, 1:08 PM   #13
DRC II

The reason USAC and the Silver Crown Division are not at more tracks is the promoters are not interested. If there was a decent track offering a standard SC purse, USAC would already be there.

Mike Devin

10/14/16, 4:48 PM   #14
SpfldMile

I personally don't want to see them on anything less than a half mile. With their power and weight, they are definitely a momentum/finesse car. That being said, there are a lot of good half miles to race on. Too bad we can't find an old horse mile to revive.

3 members like this post: HardyBoysRacing, hhiester, tirespinner
10/14/16, 6:18 PM   #15
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC II View Post
The reason USAC and the Silver Crown Division are not at more tracks is the promoters are not interested. If there was a decent track offering a standard SC purse, USAC would already be there.

Mike Devin
This response is spot on. There are two factors in play here. Supply equals demand, and risk versus reward. The original poster asked could there be an "outlaw" Silver Crown race. The reality is that there is not enough demand from the fans and the owners/drivers for the promoter to take the financial risk.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
10/14/16, 9:29 PM   #16
sp6967

quarter mile=midgets
half mile=sprint cars
one mile=silver crown
that is how it should be. I guess I like old ways best.

3 members like this post: Bostonian, SpfldMile, tirespinner
10/15/16, 8:26 AM   #17
Longtime sprinter

I would like to see tracks use them as a companion class to the sprints. I.E. Lawrenceburg, have them back up sprints at the fall nationals. I think it would draw quite a crowd, plus the more races per year for the class, the more appealing it is to the owners to field a team. Just my 2 cents.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
10/15/16, 9:50 AM   #18
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6967 View Post
quarter mile=midgets
half mile=sprint cars
one mile=silver crown
that is how it should be. I guess I like old ways best.
I agree its how it should be but if silver crown is to survive it needs to run smaller tracks then a mile. Miles are about gone but there are some fast 1/2 and 5/8 mile tracks.
I also agree about the supply and demand, really who cares or even knows what a silver crown car is anymore besides a handful of hardcores.
Slap wings on them, rename to Super Sprints and you'd have plenty of idiots wanting to see it.

1 member likes this post: hhiester
10/15/16, 10:34 AM   #19
tj39

If your gonna run the burg how bout midget week like the 4crown

1 member likes this post: Jim Gardner
10/15/16, 8:42 PM   #20
Sandy Lowe

You just can't add the silver crown cars as a companion class to USAC sprints at the Fall Nationals and expect a promoter to make any money. A 24 car silver crown purse (just the money paid to the participants) is over $32,000. That's a huge chunk of change on top of the Fall Nationals sprint purse which I believe was about the same since it was a $10,000 to win show.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver Crown