IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MSCS Rule 33
2/1/09, 3:47 PM   #11
Re: MSCS Rule 33
DonRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
I would love to pull one of those DOHC Fords out of mothballs, punch it out as big as it could go and run it. just the sound would be worth it!
I'd pay extra to see that or any other creative, innovative, unconventional approach to a sprint car engine.
Push-To-Pass Nitrous Oxide System maybe?

2/1/09, 4:29 PM   #12
Rex W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormasher View Post
Tinker you can't tell by looking at the rearend any more, the new ones are different than the old ones.
If i'm not mistaken the side bell would be on the right side of rear end instead of the left side if it was a reverse rotation rear end which has to be used to use a reverse rotation engine.

2/1/09, 5:14 PM   #13
winged and non-winged

The DT-3 saves no money to nobody... It is the biggest piece of garbage out ther as far as tires are concerned... Not to mention that it it very overpriced for the quality.

2/1/09, 8:06 PM   #14
tinkertoys

Since the mandate of the dt3 in usac i know for a fact the tire bill's have gone down a small percent. The work that goes into the tire have went up. Secondly I have witnessed a all steel 360 with an rd12 rr outrun an gb2300 head wesmar with a dt3 on more than one occasion at rockrapid iowa. On another wim (hearsay) the 53car runs small engines cubic inch wise. you will never convince me it takes a bigger (than 410) engine to run the same laptime time (wingless). with a dt3 until you change the laws of physics. If you have ever felt the tires spin after being hooked up it feels like someone just through out an anchor the harder you spin'm the more you feel the car slow down. What "new" rearend has two side bells? just seen new dmi and winters both including the mini winters. Did not see a franklin though. How would you take a lefty rear apart if the side bell is on the left side? I dont see how you could clear the pinion with the ring gear.

2/1/09, 10:13 PM   #15
Motormasher

Thank you wing & non wing, EXACTLY what I have been trying to say all along.

The tire is the same price as a good tire and you have to grind it, sipe it, groove it and run it with 3-4psi air pressure to get the thing to hook up , then turn the motor 9 grand to make it stand up. Who wants to do all that work on a dam tire when they make good ones for the same price?

With a little bit of work you cannot tell a guy is running a left handed rear end. I know because I know a guy who has one and nobody has ever known the difference. You guys just haven't been looking close enough... lol:wink

2/2/09, 12:10 PM   #16
Motormasher

Didn't figure anybody would bash these other 2 guys like they do me about this tire. Can't thank you enough wing nonwing and tinkertoys.:respect:

2/2/09, 1:56 PM   #17
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmojo5 View Post
Sure sounds like run what you brung. Might be interesting to see what kind of motors develop. Also curious about what prompted this. Knowledge of someone with a big engine, or fear of restrictive rules costing the sanctioning body competitors.
Jim Morrison
Jim,

I believe this rule has been in the book a long time. It was there in 2003 when we ran with them, I think. If I remember correctly, they had to do this in order to get cars when their original idea of "steel blocks only" didn't draw enough cars (maybe the 2001/2002 time frame?).

The only rules governing motors since 2003 was the 2004 steel block support series, if I remember correctly. So. essentially, people have had several years to come out with something exotic, but haven't taken advantage.

Tim Simmons

2/2/09, 5:43 PM   #18
DonRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Jim,

I believe this rule has been in the book a long time. It was there in 2003 when we ran with them, I think. If I remember correctly, they had to do this in order to get cars when their original idea of "steel blocks only" didn't draw enough cars (maybe the 2001/2002 time frame?).

The only rules governing motors since 2003 was the 2004 steel block support series, if I remember correctly. So. essentially, people have had several years to come out with something exotic, but haven't taken advantage.

Tim Simmons
Tim,
Any ideas why they haven't taken advantage?

2/3/09, 12:09 PM   #19
Motormasher

What kind of engine do you have in mind DonRacer? Just seems to me nothing else works in a sprint car but a small block. I know there are some Lefty's out there that work very well in a non wingy but nothing unusual about that. Big blocks are too heavy. What else is there?:confused:

2/3/09, 1:23 PM   #20
DonRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormasher View Post
What kind of engine do you have in mind DonRacer? Just seems to me nothing else works in a sprint car but a small block. I know there are some Lefty's out there that work very well in a non wingy but nothing unusual about that. Big blocks are too heavy. What else is there?:confused:
Turbos, Blowers, SOHC & DOHC V6 & V8s, Hemi Heads, Light Loads of Nitro, Nitrous Oxide, More Displacement out of a Small Block, the combinations are endless in the hands of a creative engine builder.

"It seems that racing always ends up with one dominate engine. I've always been a competitor, like to see different brands and different types of engines out there. My Son was an apprentice and his project to be a Class A pattern maker was to make a six cylinder block out of my eight cylinder block. To make a long story short, we built a V-6, 429 inch Hemi and put it in a sprint car. The second night out at ascot, we werethe number one qualifier and the thing was very competitive. It ran good and sounded good, because it was different."
-Nick Arias Jr.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MSCS Rule 33