IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT: Brownstown Late Models
3/19/09, 1:38 AM   #11
Re: OT: Brownstown Late Models
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERO410SCJA View Post
30 bucks for 10 grand to win ouchhhhhhh
Compare that to paying $20 for $4,000 to win or $5,000 to win in Sprints, there is no comparison. With the $30 you are getting $10K to win, 60+ cars, and also $1,000 to win in two other classes.

And you arent getting the same cars you would see on a normal basis

3/19/09, 2:02 AM   #12
AlkyMadness

As a sprint fan (and part time late model fan), you're right, there is no comparison. I'll take the sprint show for $20 and drive by a track charging $30 for a late model show anyday.

I know the Icebreaker is always a good show and everything, but for me these ticket prices are enough. This year the late model shows should be called the ball-breakers because that's what the ticket prices are doing to me.

Every track in this area has decided that $25-$30 is now the norm. I broke down and went to the Southern All Star race at Cherokee ($10K to win) and paid $25. Turned out to be 27 cars and the race was so-so (one guy won the race into turn1 and was only briefly challenged). The best entertainment was when the fans/family got to fighting in the stands after the race:rolleyes:

But, the place was packed with fans. As soon as that race was over, a nearby track announced there upcoming race would be $25 for a $5k to win show. They got rained out, but they caught a lot of flack on message boards and dropped the make up date to $20 (but also dropped a crate model race from the bill).

This is all beginning to remind me of the 80's when NASCAR started to get popular and the tickets started going up $5-10 every year.

Hey, if you feel you get your moneys worth, go for it. But, I've "been there, done that, got the shirt" and I don't feel I need to pay it. I'll save my money for the "cheaper" sprint shows. Or reasonably priced late model shows if I can find any, probably be the weekly shows.

Makes me wonder where the recession is when it's standing room only for races with this kind of gate.

I will say hats off to Eldora. The tickets for the Dream and World have not increased at all for years and the track has made several improvements for the fans. They could easily fall in line and up the prices, but they've held them in check.

3/19/09, 8:46 AM   #13
Diggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by agar View Post
The Last two years it was well worth the 30 bucks Get there Early and dress warm you will see the best Late Model Drivers Last year the heat races were worth the money alone
Heck, I get my money's worth (and goose bumps) when the first hot lap session hits the track. I'll gladly fork over my $30 to see some of the best late model drivers in the country battle for 10k

3/19/09, 9:13 AM   #14
dkdorkboy

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 52

In the middle of the summer with sprints running.No I would not go ,but i need a fix and it's been a long winter.Agree the $30 is a little steep but hey it's only money and gas prices are down now.:checkered:

3/19/09, 9:39 AM   #15
falcon20

Chris, I used to visit Brownstown many years ago. I believe Roger Williams and then James Essex were the operators. Harder to make the 3 hour drive these days, but I intend to take the grandkids when the weather warms up. Does John Gill still run there.
Thanks.

3/19/09, 10:38 AM   #16
1021gpa

i will have to say i never went to a lucas oil late model race till last year at the jackson 100 and it ended up being a hell of a good show even the mods put on a good show ...i say i will not go but and pay the $30 but when 4pm rolls around saturday i will probably be over there(only 10 minutes from my house) just to get my racing fix...although i have been over there last 2 weeks for practice in the hornet

3/19/09, 11:26 AM   #17
Pine

30$ seems reasonable for a 10,000$ to win.

But then again I really don't care what a race pays to win, because when the green flag drops, I know I have NO chance of winning.

I will say one thing though. The Outlaw Sprints have fans that will pay 30 to get in and thats why they run for the purse they do. Late Model's have fans that will pay 30 to get in and thats why they run for the purse they do. USAC don't have enough fans that will pay 30 to get in, AND THATS WHY THEY RUN FOR THE PURSE THEY DO. Just my opinion.......

P.S...Chris Nunn save me four good seats for Sat, night...
Last edited by Pine; 3/19/09 at 11:35 AM.

3/19/09, 11:46 AM   #18
cmakin

We have the WoO Late Models down here for the Lone Star 100 this weekend. I know Bloomquist is supposed to be up at the Icebreaker, though. They are paying US$20K to win and admission is 35 buckaroos. Pit passes are 40 (20 for practice tonight).

3/19/09, 11:57 AM   #19
Eagle14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
30$ seems reasonable for a 10,000$ to win.

But then again I really don't care what a race pays to win, because when the green flag drops, I know I have NO chance of winning.

I will say one thing though. The Outlaw Sprints have fans that will pay 30 to get in and thats why they run for the purse they do. Late Model's have fans that will pay 30 to get in and thats why they run for the purse they do. USAC don't have enough fans that will pay 30 to get in, AND THATS WHY THEY RUN FOR THE PURSE THEY DO. Just my opinion.......

P.S...Chris Nunn save me four good seats for Sat, night...
Interesting Statement...

3/19/09, 12:01 PM   #20
Pitpass

How much are pit passes?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT: Brownstown Late Models