IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Maybe This Is A Step In the Right Direction
5/2/17, 4:42 PM   #11
Re: Maybe This Is A Step In the Right Direction
ModernDayDrifter

Race Count This Year: 47
Race Count Last Year: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
Matters to me if the only sprintcar show on one of the big three networks was woo, I wouldn't care enough to watch.
Thank you for being a part of the problem.

4 members like this post: Dirteater, jdull99, Jim Gardner, progressive22
5/2/17, 5:05 PM   #12
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernDayDrifter View Post
Thank you for being a part of the problem.
Why would I be excited and support something that's been rehashed for decades. Supporting winged cars does nothing for the future of nonwing cars. I know first hand because there wasn't such a thing as a winged car when I got involved in racing, the speed of the winged cars was embraced and now there is no Sprintcar racing in N.E, PA or much of the east coast. How bout a intelligent response, what a bunch of bull, I'm part of the problem for not settling for the crap they feed us.
A winged car aint even a sprintcar.

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
5/2/17, 6:29 PM   #13
ModernDayDrifter

Quote:
Why would I be excited and support something that's been rehashed for decades. Supporting winged cars does nothing for the future of nonwing cars. I know first hand because there wasn't such a thing as a winged car when I got involved in racing, the speed of the winged cars was embraced and now there is no Sprintcar racing in N.E, PA or much of the east coast. How bout a intelligent response, what a bunch of bull, I'm part of the problem for not settling for the crap they feed us.
Oh, what the hell, I will play along...

It seems to me that your love of non wing cars has strongly influenced your bias against the winged cars, so much as to make a ridiculous claim that a winged car is not a sprint car. Well, bucko, it is. I guess because MLB uses wooden bats, and college uses aluminum thats not baseball either, right? Or because hockey players are now required to wear a helmet, thats not hockey either, right? Or because the NBA moved the 3 point line, thats not basketball either, right?

Supporting winged car racing is a no brainer in the development of gaining interest into the non wing world. Here is a shocker, your traditional-sprint-car-is-the-only-way thought process is only valid in one place in this country, Indiana. Even at that, winged cars are slowly starting to join the mix. The World of Outlaws crisscross the country, making stops in 26 states and 1 Canadian province on 94 scheduled nights with highest paying event last year being the $150,000 Knoxville Nationals. By contrast, our beloved USAC National Sprintcar series makes stops in 11 states on 47 scheduled nights with the highest paying event last year being the $50,000 Gold Cup (I think it was called). This would mean that there is a bigger market for winged cars, regardless of YOUR biased opinion.

Things evolve, the general public want to see speed. Winged cars provide that. Think I am wrong? Our local drag strip has maybe 50 people in the stands watching street cars run their bracket race events. Bring the NHRA to town, now the stands are packed with people wanting to see the 330 mph pass.

Think of it like this... The winged cars, specifically the WoO, is the State Fair while the non wing, specifically the USAC, is the county cotton carnival.

I do not mean this to be derogatory, just honest. When our indoor kart national event was on national television, aired by ESPN, there was very little smack talk and hatred from the asphalt/road course kart crowd. Why? Because our sport needed it. They embraced it, and used it to lure people into their type of racing.

It would be much better if you would take the opportunity to embrace that winged cars are being used to try to attract new people. Once you have the new audience then, please, by all means introduce them to the non wing side of it. But the last thing needed for OUR sport, the sport of auto racing as a whole, the sport we all love, the sport that is not considered a sport by anyone that does not know better, is for people like yourself to just say no to any and all types of marketable strategies.

I know (my opinion) that college baseball is a better product than MLB, but it would be stupid of me to disregard the MLB because they are the better marketable product. It would be foolish of me to turn away a new fan based on my own personal bias? What should I do? I should let them watch, let them become captivated by the sport, then say "you think thats cool, watch this."

Our sport needs all the help it can get. Besides, if you already have the channel on your tv, does it really cost you anything to watch it?

5/2/17, 6:32 PM   #14
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

If a winged car isnt a sprint car....

Why are the World of Outlaws, ASCS, ASCOC, all called Sprint cars?

mind....blown

2 members like this post: progressive22, Racer1039
5/2/17, 6:36 PM   #15
chathamracefan

Would also like to echo the kudos to Sean Buckley for both his website and what he is doing on Mav. Personally I love all dirt racing. I've seen great racing borh late model/ modified type of racing and sprints/midgets.

I support it all when I can and it is all way the heck better than any other racing product available imo.

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
5/2/17, 7:08 PM   #16
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

All very well said, drifter. I'm living proof of some of your remarks.

As a kid, my parents took my to Tri State Speedway back when they ran a weekly winged program. I didn't have much of an interest in racing through my teenage years, and when I did go to a race, it was usually a wing show. Sure, I knew sprint cars raced without wings, but that knowledge was a result of my cousin talking about non-wing racing on occasion, not from me attending non wing races.

Started having an itch to go see some races again a few years ago, and I knew Kokomo was near my home in Noblesville (knew this because of my dad and I going to a WoO show there the prior year). Hopped online to check out their schedule and ended up going to a few of their Sunday night shows and a couple Smackdown nights. As for now? I get to as many USAC shows as I can and still drive up to Kokomo on Sundays when I can.

My fandom for non wing racing is essentially a direct result from exposure to wing racing. Promoting sprint car racing, wing or non wing, can be beneficial for both types.

Still enjoy both sides today. Very excited for the WoO and USAC shows at Eldora in less than two weeks, one of my favorite weekends all year.

5/2/17, 8:04 PM   #17
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
I agree and he's right, supporting winged sprints does NOTHING for non-wing sprints at all. Getting upset because someone refuses to support winged cars is immature also. I don't like winged sprints either so I don't support them. Show us one instance where having the World of Outlaws throw a race somewhere caused USAC to suddenly get an invite... Winged sprints are a form of sprint car racing, but disrespecting someone for not sharing your view is NOT cool. I myself like late models and big block modifieds too, but I know running them won't bring USAC sprints either. The answer is to FULLY support the style you want to succeed, if its wings, fine. If its Non-wing, then support that.

Luke 16:13 New King James Version (NKJV)

13 “No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other....

5/3/17, 10:56 PM   #18
ModernDayDrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
I agree and he's right, supporting winged sprints does NOTHING for non-wing sprints at all. Getting upset because someone refuses to support winged cars is immature also. I don't like winged sprints either so I don't support them. Show us one instance where having the World of Outlaws throw a race somewhere caused USAC to suddenly get an invite... Winged sprints are a form of sprint car racing, but disrespecting someone for not sharing your view is NOT cool. I myself like late models and big block modifieds too, but I know running them won't bring USAC sprints either. The answer is to FULLY support the style you want to succeed, if its wings, fine. If its Non-wing, then support that.

Luke 16:13 New King James Version (NKJV)

13 “No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other....
Put me in coach, I'm ready to play today...

Supporting winged sprints does "NOTHING" for non-wing sprints "at all." This is your claim. So, just last year alone I introduced 7, yes 7, people to non-wing racing. Around our parts we have winged cars, I introduced them to winged cars as well before hand, then told them about and showed them videos of non wing cars. Now 5 out of the 7 prefer non-wing and the other two, like myself, are just a fan of racing. Apparently, capturing their attention using winged cars DID SOMETHING for promoting non-wing racing. Oh, did I mention that 4 of them never seen a race live in their life, while the other 3 were casual fans. I do my part.

I never got upset? A smart ass comment, eh maybe.

YOU don't like winged sprints, so YOU don't support it. Again, biased opinions have no place in the promotion of a sport that has struggled to gain national exposure.

One instance where WoO directly caused USAC to get an invite... I think next week Eldora is doing the #LetsRaceTwo with USAC and WoO on the same ticket two nights in a row. Someone sees that one influences the other. Smart people.

I sure hope that the comment about being disrespectful was not directed towards me, I haven't been disrespectful....... yet.

I am a fan of the full body cars as well. In fact, I prefer latemodels and modifieds over sprint cars of any kind. Big blocks are what draw me to Charlotte every year for the WoO World Finals. Saying that they wont bring USAC is such a logical statement. How long did it take you to come up with that line? The answer is to FULLY support racing, while FULLY promoting your favorite things about it. That IS the answer. Why? Because our sport needs it.

Now, on to the religious comment. My favorite part. If you are going to use a Bible verse to attempt to prove a point, at least use the whole verse. Let me help you with that... Luke 16:13 "No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.”

So, the important part you forgot (or just elected not to include) is "You cannot serve God and mammon." I do not see how this makes any sense in the way you have portrayed (or not) it but I will play along anyway... Using the context you are making a claim that God would be equivalent to USAC and mammon (material wealth) would be the equivalent of WoO... I have a suspicion that our almighty leader would not take too kind to you comparing him to anything at all...

3 members like this post: jim goerge, Jsr7s, progressive22
5/4/17, 1:16 AM   #19
jdull99

Be badaz if the Knox Nationals could be on the CBS "Network"! (by that I mean, as the original poster did - the "Free over the air" channel - the ORIGINAL CBS of the "Big 3" from long b4 I was born...lol)
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: ModernDayDrifter
5/4/17, 1:41 AM   #20
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYATK94 View Post
All very well said, drifter. I'm living proof of some of your remarks.

As a kid, my parents took my to Tri State Speedway back when they ran a weekly winged program. I didn't have much of an interest in racing through my teenage years, and when I did go to a race, it was usually a wing show. Sure, I knew sprint cars raced without wings, but that knowledge was a result of my cousin talking about non-wing racing on occasion, not from me attending non wing races.

Started having an itch to go see some races again a few years ago, and I knew Kokomo was near my home in Noblesville (knew this because of my dad and I going to a WoO show there the prior year). Hopped online to check out their schedule and ended up going to a few of their Sunday night shows and a couple Smackdown nights. As for now? I get to as many USAC shows as I can and still drive up to Kokomo on Sundays when I can.

My fandom for non wing racing is essentially a direct result from exposure to wing racing. Promoting sprint car racing, wing or non wing, can be beneficial for both types.

Still enjoy both sides today. Very excited for the WoO and USAC shows at Eldora in less than two weeks, one of my favorite weekends all year.
My experience is somewhat similar. I used to go to dirt track stock car (jalopy, or modified coupes) races in my teen years, in Virginia. We moved back up North, I went to 2 pavement races, lost interest. Fast forward 40 years, I'm in Upstate NY, heading thru Pa. the next day, friend gives me a Circle Track mag that mentions Pa. sprint car scene. I knew what sprint cars were, but never saw them, was curious. So I looked for winged races, 1/2 mile tracks, more speed. I went & got hooked. That was 7 years ago. As I learned more (Kokomo videos!) I got curious about non wing racing... now I prefer wingless, bullrings, & I've been to quite a few Indiana races.
So I'm another example of winged racing leading to being a wingless fan
However, calling a guy "part of the problem" is going a bit far. So is saying that wing cars are not sprint cars.
We have more in common with each other than with the vast majority of our fellow Americans who have no idea what any of this is all about. So everybody calm down...
As Sly Stone said, "Different strokes for different folks"
You know, long stroke/ torque.... short stroke /RPM

3 members like this post: ModernDayDrifter, Pat O'Connor Fan, Simon_says17
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Maybe This Is A Step In the Right Direction