IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What kind of car is this??????
7/20/15, 10:33 AM   #11
Re: What kind of car is this??????
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Sounds overly complex, and for what purpose? Maybe to convert a car that was designed to be shaft drive? I think most rulebooks now days state the chain has to run from the original countershaft directly to the rear axle.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

7/20/15, 11:32 AM   #12
BigBoost5.3Notch

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_inmyface View Post
Is it a blue frame? I know the kids that had it in illinois. If so it is a bailey.
It is, is it possible to get any more info on the car? I am really curious as to why it was designed this way?

7/20/15, 11:34 AM   #13
BigBoost5.3Notch

Quote:
Im guessin its the one on the right in this photo
It is absolutely that one. Unbelievable you guys identified it and came up with a picture... Thank you all very much.

7/20/15, 11:39 AM   #14
t_inmyface

I dont know how much more info they knew about it. I can get a hold of them and see what they say. They bought it that way. Two diff kids in the same town owned it. I was thinking it came from missouri. And it was already that way when it got to illinois.

7/20/15, 11:41 AM   #15
BigBoost5.3Notch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
Sounds overly complex, and for what purpose? Maybe to convert a car that was designed to be shaft drive? I think most rulebooks now days state the chain has to run from the original countershaft directly to the rear axle.
I kind of have to agree. I can't make sense of it really, but was thinking someone else may at least have a theory on it. On the rule book thing I took a quick look and thought the car was still legal. The end result is a chain from the shaft style rearend to the axle and the chain is well guarded.... I could be wrong though.
Last edited by BigBoost5.3Notch; 7/20/15 at 11:45 AM.

7/20/15, 11:43 AM   #16
BigBoost5.3Notch

Quote:
I dont know how much more info they knew about it. I can get a hold of them and see what they say. They bought it that way. Two diff kids in the same town owned it. I was thinking it came from missouri. And it was already that way when it got to illinois.
if it's not to much hassle for you that would be great. It's been bothering me trying to see what it is so this is all a huge help. Thanks

7/20/15, 11:56 AM   #17
TQ29m

Just a guess, but the way the engine is offset, way bunch, I'd say they ran the original drive shaft back as far as it would go, then, as it then became a 90 degree drive, mounted sprockets to the original hub, which would already be about a 6-8 to one reduction, so the sprockets would have to be pretty small, at least another 2 to 1 to get any kind of rpm's out of it, again, a big challenge, with little reward! Bob

7/20/15, 12:08 PM   #18
t_inmyface

I was mistaken on where it came from. It came up from tennesse. Cant tell ya any further back than that. The guy in tn purchased it that way. So nobody that has had it really knows why....ha. its def a diff animal for sure.

7/20/15, 12:10 PM   #19
popham

Pretty sure this car was at my house before when one of my daughters friends owned it. If so it was a Bailey, and I looked it over and I thought it probably had some good ideas. I raced micros for over 25 years and know Floyd and it looked like one of his cars.

7/20/15, 12:12 PM   #20
DAD

Best I can remember Bob Douglas at Rod End Supply built such a car in the late 80's. Thought it had a Yamaha engine in it. Like several Yamaha's of that time it was shaft drive and he simply turned it and put the sprocket on the end of the 90 Degree drive on the motor. It was a pretty little car but the Yamaha was a little under powered. I would give him a call and see if he knows anything about it.

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What kind of car is this??????