IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Now for Something Completely Different
6/18/13, 6:14 AM   #11
Re: Now for Something Completely Different
PJ Wright

Like a multiple choice test in school, I choose answer D; all of the above.
Every time I walk through the gate I recall the excitement I felt when my dad took me to my first race 46 years ago.
Tumey's 55: Thanks for starting this thread!
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

4 members like this post: jim goerge, KENDALLRACING, Mud Packer, Sprints!
6/18/13, 10:37 AM   #12
Sprints!

Also this year, we are thoroughly enjoying keeping up with the 92 MDC. Love watching and hearing about the races he has been in so far. Would love to see him run all of INDIANA SPRINT WEEK !

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
6/19/13, 2:49 AM   #13
johnnythunderhead
Banned

i'm already looking forward to midget week 2014/ hopin to make em all

Posted via Mobile Device

6/19/13, 6:26 AM   #14
smith19

One things for sure, if your on this board you got it bad!!!

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, dirt330, jim goerge
6/19/13, 10:26 AM   #15
RATHER B RACING

I think u guys have all of it covered. I to live for Saturday night racing. Even on are bad nights at the track it is still better than any good day at work. One of the best parts is I get to hang out with Bill Gardner every Saturday night.

Posted via Mobile Device

6/19/13, 10:38 AM   #16
treecitytornado

I still love the anticipation of the car in front of you taking off or when you are going to drop the hammer if I'm on pole. I also love to pull a nice wheelie half way down the straightaway and sit it back down just as I set up for the next turn. I also love to be able and have the opportunity to drive an 800 plus horse Sprint Car on and off since 2001. This is my 20th year in racing since the old go-kart days as a young kid and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Posted via Mobile Device

6/19/13, 11:02 AM   #17
Danny Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATHER B RACING View Post
One of the best parts is I get to hang out with Bill Gardner every Saturday night.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ah, another one led astray.

Enjoy seeing old and new friends. Bill is one of many.

Most always I find myself thinking of my dad, and then...

I watch my grandson, who sits and watches these guys race. It's a treat when he fixes drivers' names in his mind and then points them out to me or whoever we're sitting with.

For the first time, the other night at Kokomo, he kept asking how many more races. Soon I figured it out. He wasn't in a hurry to go home. Instead he wanted to know when he could go to the pits and sit in race cars. For a few minutes he occupied Christopher Bell's car, courtesy of Christopher's dad. A bit later he wandered over to Jamie Fredrickson's pit and ended up steering the car (with Jamie's help) into the trailer. What a picture that would have been, especially when he popped his head over the cage and smiled back at me.

Pre-race, the casual atmosphere in the pits before things get serious. Most everyone associated with a team will at least say hello.

On track, for whatever reason I'm partial to hot laps at Bloomington. When the track is fast, it is a treat to see people negotiate the high banks and the narrow groove. Plus the backdrop of red clay, green grass and trees, along with a blue (we hope) sky is as pretty as a picture.

Hot laps at Lawrenceburg can make one hold their breath longer than they thought they could. Love the aroma from the distillery. Takes me back to my childhood (a long time ago).Section A--say no more.

Heat races at LPS tend to see more passing as a rule. The BBQ sandwich is a treat (thanks to Mr. Gardner again). Add one of those huge sacks of popcorn and you won't eat for quite awhile.

Haubstadt is worth the drive. Every single time.

Wheel packing at Gas City, plus it's a relatively short walk to the pits. Ducking the tiny mudballs thrown into the bleachers during hot laps. Doesn't matter how high you sit either. One night a mudball knocked the ashes off Hoover's cigarette. I took it as a sign that he needed to quit smoking. He took it as a sign to duck better.

Kokomo has the pork chop sandwich which is a great break from cheeseburgers. It has group qualifying. I prefer single car, but this is a nice diversion. The racing is, in a word, phenomenal.

THAT has that old covered grandstand. Louder for sure, but it's still worth that. Good view from turn four bleachers as well. And the way they haul it into turn three is another good way to hold one's breath.

I could go on and on about other tracks (Salem, Winchester, Eldora, Paragon, etc.) but hey, I'm a busy boy.

Been ed on this sport for a long time.

Thanks to the young man who started this thread.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

8 members like this post: JackSam40, jim goerge, mowerman, Mud Packer, smith19, Sprints!, Tony74
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Now for Something Completely Different