IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Best sprint race you've ever seen?
3/13/10, 12:16 PM   #11
Re: Best sprint race you've ever seen?
hoosierboy05

Whitt/Stanbrough Kokomo '08

3/13/10, 12:16 PM   #12
Keith Ford

All the 100 lapers Chuck Amati won at Paragon Speedway

1 member likes this post: Jerry Shaw
3/13/10, 1:29 PM   #13
dkdorkboy

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 52

99 at Twin cities.I think it was Non Wing World Championship race.If memory serves me correct Tony Elliott won.Six different drivers led a lap at the flagstand.Witnessed by probaly 150 people it was by far the best race I ever saw.Thinking back ,I don't think I've ever saw a bad race at Twin City.

2 members like this post: FishBurger, MickeyD
3/13/10, 1:35 PM   #14
TheChosenOne

Wing Sprints- Las Vegas this year, Meyers and the King battling for the win off of 4

Non Wing- Either 09' Sprint Week at Kamp, or Haubstadt. The close finish at Kamp has me leaning that way, but watching Clauson push a sprint car to its limit was one of the coolest things I have ever seen!

I know it wasn't mentioned, but I gotta throw in the Crown race at Tucson this year, Levi refusing to lose and taking Bud off of 4

3/13/10, 2:01 PM   #15
sprntr

Arlington (Minnesota) Speedway - June 11, 2005
IMCA Sprint Cars
My son's 1st Feature Victory!

3/13/10, 2:05 PM   #16
Jerry Shaw

I've seen a hundred sprint car races that I thought was the best race I've ever seen. That's what I love about this sport. And it'll always be that way. There are just so many ways that a race can take twists and turns, that make it a memorable experience. Sometimes an epic one. And every one unique.

As a kid, so many of the great ones I saw were at Paragon (Like Keith said about the 100 lappers), Terre Haute and Haubstadt. In recent years Haubstadt, Kokomo and Terre Haute have provided the lion's share of the Instant Classics, for me. Two fo the modern day classics that come to mind are two throwdowns that took place between Daron Clayton and Jon Stanbrough a few years ago. One at Terre Haute and one at Tri-State Speedway. The last 10 laps of the Don Smith Classic, a couple of years ago, saw Robert Ballou and Jesse Hockett wage a war that I'll not soon forget, as well.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

3/13/10, 2:46 PM   #17
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

This is the Stanbrough, Clayton Kiss battle at Haubstadt 2 parts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYrOpg5o3kE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOTrAtjWtSI

3 members like this post: JEFFSTOY, skids59, SPD 37
3/13/10, 3:09 PM   #18
Hubie

The 2009 Indiana Sprint Week had several really great races

Kokomo, Bloomington and Haubstadt were all memorable and something that will keep me coming back for more.

3/13/10, 3:30 PM   #19
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

In my case, way too many to remember. My mind isn't as good as it used to be but still a number of them stand out. Last year alone I saw four of what I would classify as classics. The sprint week show at Kamp followed up by the finale of sprint week at Haubstadt. It just doesn't get any better than that.

A young Kenny Niflis drove the wheels off to snag the Sheldon Kinser Memorial race at Bloomington from the back of the pack. Likewise, Jon Stanbrough came from well back in the starting lineup to win the KISS race at Paragon.

A memorable drive by J J Yeley at Twin Cities a number of years ago during a USAC sprint week show also sticks out.

On the pavement side, most all of the Little 500's that I have seen (35 & counting) have been well worth the price of admission. Each and every one of them is unique and the strategy of survival over 500 laps. Also I would be remiss if I didn't mention the "Fastest Show on Earth" at Toledo. The winged sprint cars along with the supermodifieds always seem to amaze me.

Like so many things in life, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Time to get out and see some more classics in 2010.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

3/13/10, 3:34 PM   #20
Bruce Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdorkboy View Post
99 at Twin cities.I think it was Non Wing World Championship race.If memory serves me correct Tony Elliott won.Six different drivers led a lap at the flagstand.Witnessed by probaly 150 people it was by far the best race I ever saw.Thinking back ,I don't think I've ever saw a bad race at Twin City.
I was at North Vernon that night, that would be my vote - 3 wide coming off 4 for the checkers. That was the 1st of Ron Shuman's NWWC shows. It rained in the morning and was nearly canceled.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Best sprint race you've ever seen?