IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > I know this will never happen, but...
5/26/11, 9:49 AM   #11
Re: I know this will never happen, but...
brian26

Talking with Bob Higman 2 years back-
He told me foriegn governments have been backing , in one way or another, drivers from their countries. This means large money makes it's way to Indy-regardless of economic recessions, and is an effort to instill national pride with respect to the paying country.

I'm not saying this happens with every team, but it has been going on for some time, and it has compromised the integrity of the race and what it is supposed to mean.

This is not an attack on the drivers, nor the technology. BUT- selling out what the 'core' of the race is supposed to mean for years to come, is really tragic.

We SHOULD BE arguing over who will win with guys like
Kasey Kahne
Tony Stewart
Ryan Newman
Jeff (whatshisname)
Kyle Busch-yessss even him...........

I do think several of todays Indy 500 drivers are fit for this level of competition-Dario, Dan Weldon, Sam Hornish, Helio, Danica(yep), Marco, Tony Kanaan

That being said, I agree with post #1- It would be a huge series in 10 years!If it were real and sincere.

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

I will now list off the top of my head- the Indy 500 winners from 1950 to the year 200.
Johnny Parsons
1951-dangit- braincell dead!
1952 - Troy Ruttman
Bill Vukovich
Bill Vukovich
Bob Sweikert
Pat Flaherty
Sam Hanks-1957
Jimmy Bryan
Rodger Ward
Jim Rathmann
AJ Foyt-1961
Rodger Ward
Parnelli Jones
AJ Foyt
Jimmy Clark
Graham Hill
AJ Foyt
Bobby Unser
Mario Andretti-1969
Al Unser
Al Unser
Mark Donahue-1972
Gordon Johncock
Johnny Rutherford
Bobby Unser
Johnny Rutherford-1976
AJ Foyt
Al Unser
Rick Mears
Johnny Rutherford
Bobby Unser
Gordon Johncock
Tom Sneva-1983
Rick Mears
Danny Sullivan
Bobby Rahal
Al Unser-1987
Rick Mears
Emmerson Fittipaldi
Arie Lyendyke(spellcheck)
Rick Mears
Al Unser jr
Emmo Fittipaldi
Al Unser jr
Jacues Villeneuve
Buddy Lazier -1996
Arie Luyendyke (?)
?
?
?

Somewhere in the last years of the 20th century that Swedish kid , Juan Pablo Montoya, and Eddie Cheever all won a race too. But I am not sure who won when.

My point is, Indy is no longer a religion due to the undermining of what it means to every racing diehard fan.

INDIANAPOLIS SHOULD NEVER BE CONSIDERED 'JUST ANOTHER RACE'. On national and worldwide scales- the term "Speedway" should only mean one thing- INDIANAPOLIS MOTOR SPEEDWAY.
Maybe it'll have to get much worse before it gets better. If it does turn around back towards what it should be, I'd mow yards to buy tickets if I had too. I speak for many people on that one.

5/26/11, 10:38 AM   #12
deannalynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench Turner View Post
Personally, I think Danica leaving would be the best thing since sliced bread. The only people who seem to love her IMO are the media, promoters and fair weather race fans that think she's hot. Sorry, if I'm demeaning any of her fans here, but that's just how I feel. I mean, come on, the woman has top notch equipment yet mediocre finishes. Regardless, I suppose I'm biased because of her demeanor. My real problem with her is her attitude. She seems quite standoffish and it really irks me when she feels like she's been wronged on the track and goes to confront a male racer knowing full well that they can't do anything back to her because it's a lose/lose situation for him. When she got into it with Milka Duno, a small part of me was hoping that she would have cracked Danica upside her head. I think she pulls that crap for more exposure. Ok, Danica rant over.

Anyway, I hope that a fan poll was taken and that incentive for combining the dirt cars was indeed the result. Although, I still give it a slim and none chance of happening.
It seems like she's been around for a while now. I think she has been racing for a long time and probably knows what she's doing by now. She doesn't appear to be wreckless on the track. She was polite to me and my mom when she opened the garage gate for her before opening ceremonies the year she finished 3rd. I don't know how anyone can blame her for choosing modeling as a second career. Racing seldom pays the bills. She turned down Playboy which is something very few models do. Do you think the fact that she loves racing has something to with the fact that she hasn't taken every modeling job offered? As a general rule, women aren't taken seriously in this sport so the fact that she is going to be where she is going to be this Sunday says a lot about her. It kinda makes me want to buy a t-shirt.

5/26/11, 11:02 AM   #13
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Danica is only fan friendly when the camera's on on her. I have the bronze badge that gets you into the garage so I see her pretty much every day I'm out there. She can't get away from fans fast enough when she's moving around the garage. I understand she has a job to do, but I don't see her as all that fan friendly...I've seen it time and again. Other drivers in the garage don't dodge fans like she does. If that counted towards the points, she might be the point leader. She's going to go to Nascar and make her coin (can't blame that). I'm glad she will be gone personally.

Simona on the other hand, can flat out drive a racecar and didn't bring a bag of money with her either. I think we saw what she is all about last week. She also couldn't be better with the fans. If she was an American, she would be a star now. Hopefully fans can get to know her a little better.

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE
5/26/11, 11:43 AM   #14
Wrench Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannalynn View Post
It seems like she's been around for a while now. I think she has been racing for a long time and probably knows what she's doing by now. She doesn't appear to be wreckless on the track. She was polite to me and my mom when she opened the garage gate for her before opening ceremonies the year she finished 3rd. I don't know how anyone can blame her for choosing modeling as a second career. Racing seldom pays the bills. She turned down Playboy which is something very few models do. Do you think the fact that she loves racing has something to with the fact that she hasn't taken every modeling job offered? As a general rule, women aren't taken seriously in this sport so the fact that she is going to be where she is going to be this Sunday says a lot about her. It kinda makes me want to buy a t-shirt.
I'm not saying that she can't drive a car. I just don't think that she does it well enough to get the acclaim she has received. Especially given the fact that she is a member of one of the top notch teams. Her fame comes from the fact that she is a pretty female racecar driver. How many famous racers do you know that aren't consistent winners? It's my opinion that in racing, your fame should reflect your skill. I understand that is not how the world works, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it either. Shouldn't women resent the fact that she is famous mostly because of her looks? What does that tell little girls? If you're pretty, things happen for you? Personally, I don't like that message. But, I'm getting off my original point here. The woman has a bad attitude among her fellow racers and dodges fans left and right when the camera isn't on her.

I am by no means a woman basher. I just have a very egalitarian viewpoint when it comes to men and women. If there is to be equality among the sexes. Then women have to take the good with the bad. You shouldn't be famous because you're a pretty mediocre racecar driver. That being said, I'm really pulling for Simona and Pippa. Especially Simona. That lady can drive and is one tough cookie. I was really impressed by her getting back in the seat after that wreck and being burnt . There are a lot of the male racers that probably wouldn't have done that.

5/26/11, 1:52 PM   #15
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannalynn View Post
I like Danica too. I've known her for several years and she is a little sweetheart. I wouldn't pay too much attention to most of the opinions you see on this board. She is a good race car driver and a very competitive young lady. She wants to win. Sometimes her temper gets the best of her because she wants to win so badly. Nobody in the garage has more pressure on them to perform than Danica. As far as her avoiding the fans, most times she has to. If she stops for one she will be mobbed and stuck signing for hours when she has other obligations. She is in demand everywhere she goes. I can't wait to see her win again to shut up some of her critics. But then again, they will find something else to ***** about.

5/26/11, 2:10 PM   #16
Wrench Turner

Ok, so we're

How about that asphalt and dirt combination thing? Awesome? I think so. Front engine car back at Indy? That's what I'm talking bout son.

1 member likes this post: Need For Speed
5/27/11, 11:42 AM   #17
deannalynn

How about...... "I know this will never happen but" after 100 years I'd like to see a woman win the Indy 500. Love her or hate her, Danica has a shot. For years I felt the same as Wrench Turner, jealous that she could afford to race because she is a great model for sponsors. I was jealous back when she was making waves in go-carts 'cause her parents had enough money to put her in a competitive cart. Jealous when she was in Sports Illustrated and I still can't lose my baby fat. But I have grown up and now have a lot of respect for her for pushing the envelope and bringing in lots of NEW fans and $pon$or$

But as far as driving goes, I don't think anybody consistently driving 200 mph with some of the worlds most competitive drivers without hitting the wall or getting airborne is mediocre. And you'll never have to be a consistent winner in this sport to be famous. Ever heard of a guy named Dale Earnhardt, Jr.?

As far as Simona - I'm extremely concerned about drivers with bandaged hands. Anyone remember Greg Moore? I just don't think she has the experience or maturity required to drive with bandaged hands....sorry.

5/27/11, 1:44 PM   #18
Wrench Turner

So much much for getting back on point I guess. I'm not here to argue, speculate jealousy or maturity. I should've just stayed on my original topic.

Anyway, if front engine cars were brought back to Indy, should they look like the silver crown cars do now? I think that would be my preference. I mean, you're not going to get the speeds like today with those aerodynamics, the engine in front and different tires/suspension. But wouldn't drivers have to use more skill to drive them and get them through the turns quickly? It's pretty much just "hammer down" the whole time there now isn't it? But I have no clue which would be harder, driving an average of 220+ and having a very small amount of time to react or working the throttle and brakes more. Anyone have some insight on this?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > I know this will never happen, but...