IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midwest Division ll midge series
5/28/15, 5:27 PM   #11
BrianBSU23

The bulk of our Midgets at Montpelier are Full National Midgets. Spencer Bayston won with Esslinger Power and I believe the top 4 were powered by Esslinger. We have all the other common Midget engines to Gaerte, Fontana, Mopar, etc... They can compete with USAC and Powri and our scheduled is corresponded with Powri's.

Our rules allow for the Focus/Honda and mini sprints to race in the division. We give them no mininum weight, two inches additional of tire, and we limit everyone to one right rear per night. That is how we even the playing field.

4 members like this post: DAD, DirtHawk92, dirtnonwingfan, jjones752
5/28/15, 5:41 PM   #12
Re: Midwest Division ll midge series
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBSU23 View Post
The bulk of our Midgets at Montpelier are Full National Midgets. Spencer Bayston won with Esslinger Power and I believe the top 4 were powered by Esslinger. We have all the other common Midget engines to Gaerte, Fontana, Mopar, etc... They can compete with USAC and Powri and our scheduled is corresponded with Powri's.

Our rules allow for the Focus/Honda and mini sprints to race in the division. We give them no mininum weight, two inches additional of tire, and we limit everyone to one right rear per night. That is how we even the playing field.
Brian

Is that 2" of tire width or 2" of wheel width. If the National guys were restricted to a 10 inch right rear tire the other cars would be very very competitive with them (in fact they might have a slight advantage over their more powerful brothers). If all of the racers were restricted to a 10 inch right rear tire>>>> racing would be very close. That would put the race back in the hands of the driver and set up guy and take mega Horsepower out of the picture.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 5/28/15 at 5:43 PM.

5/28/15, 6:13 PM   #13
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Lowe View Post
DAD,

I wasn't even thinking if TQ's would be legal or not. I know Montpelier's midget class is starting to bring in a good car count and was wondering if all of the cars that race there would be able to race with this series. I guess that is not the case.

So POWRi now has 3 divisions, national type midgets, sidewinder/micro sprints & the new combo class of mini sprints & all midgets other than national.

Thanks for the response.
Sandy

This would be a good way for young TQ drivers to get a little extra seat time. It appears to me also that Mr Brown has his ear to the ground and probably picking up on a trend of the way Midget racing may advance in the near future. The modern 4 valve automobile motors hopefully will help breath a little life into the local Midget racers lives.

Honest Dad himself

5/28/15, 6:18 PM   #14
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

There were 26 cars at Montpelier last Saturday; seven were mini sprints, I believe there was one Focus and the rest were "national" powered (Esslinger, Fontana, Chevy). Five of us chain-drivers made the Main and the top finisher was Corey Bedwell in 14th. I started 15th and had a good start but the field checked up, somebody turned me sideways and Chet Gehrke went over my left front after being sent to the back on the original start and ended my night. He was gracious enough to apologize at McDonalds later that night but I felt like I was gonna have something for Corey and the rest of the sprocket heads. I'm realistic enough to realize that we aren't going to compete for wins but it's a fun group that races up there. After repairs I'm hoping to make it down to Salem once or twice this year and see if we can be closer to the front on a more even playing field, but even with the "handicap" my primary focus is supporting Harold and the rest of the gang at MMS for giving the little cars a much needed place to run.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 5/28/15 at 6:20 PM.

2 members like this post: DAD, Pat O'Connor Fan
5/28/15, 6:32 PM   #15
jjones752

One correction; Chet was running an Ecotec and he made it back up to 5th, so that's a good showing for a "D-II" car that he also won with at Salem a couple of weeks ago (shows that driver talent weighs heavily in the equation).
Understand, I'm not complaining about not personally being competitive with the Esslinger/Fontana crowd; Doug Jones, Mitch Davis, Lynsey Liguori (then Tilton) and Alex Watson have all had good runs in Moto-machines in the past. We tend to do better if the track slicks off but the paradox is that it's a lot more fun to run on a heavy track, even though the scale tips more towards the horsepower-blessed then...
Last edited by jjones752; 5/28/15 at 6:34 PM.

2 members like this post: DAD, Pat O'Connor Fan
5/28/15, 6:59 PM   #16
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Division II does not allow a National type engine to race due ti the extreme difference in HP. We are trying to keep the HP around the 200-215 mark and all automotive type engines weight 1125 lbs. Chain driven cars are at 925 for stock 1000 and 1025 for everything else. And yes Bill (Dad) 12" RR wheel with a min. of 40 hardness on tire. STOCK production blocks, heads (no porting or polishing at all), crankshaft...2.4 (146.829) CID. or 2.0 Focus are allowed to port and polish heads ....must maintain stock stroke and stock head configuration....Want to know more on rules go to ssmidgets.com or midwestd2midgets.com

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

1 member likes this post: DAD
5/28/15, 7:04 PM   #17
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
One correction; Chet was running an Ecotec and he made it back up to 5th, so that's a good showing for a "D-II" car that he also won with at Salem a couple of weeks ago (shows that driver talent weighs heavily in the equation).
Understand, I'm not complaining about not personally being competitive with the Esslinger/Fontana crowd; Doug Jones, Mitch Davis, Lynsey Liguori (then Tilton) and Alex Watson have all had good runs in Moto-machines in the past. We tend to do better if the track slicks off but the paradox is that it's a lot more fun to run on a heavy track, even though the scale tips more towards the horsepower-blessed then...
Jim

You help support my hypothesis. Even in the full blown National PowerI or USAC Midgets with 400 Horse power on hand the race is won by the crew that best gets that big old right rear tire to hook up. These guys have the power to overcome the traction of that tire quite easily. The Motorcycle and automotive racers can also overpower this tire but not to the extent that a National Motor can. Mini Sprint races are also won by drivers that hook up best and all the guys in the back think that they are cheating>>>Human Nature>>>Must be the motor because it can't be my driving ability (heck I have been racing for a whole year now).

Put all the cars on skinny right rear tires and it will be racing almost like back in the 70's>>>the guy that hooks up will still be doing all the winning.

Honest Dad himself

Make the right rear tire 2 inches narrower for all of the racers and you know what the same drivers will still be wining.
Last edited by DAD; 5/28/15 at 7:06 PM.

5/28/15, 7:09 PM   #18
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Davis View Post
Division II does not allow a National type engine to race due ti the extreme difference in HP. We are trying to keep the HP around the 200-215 mark and all automotive type engines weight 1125 lbs. Chain driven cars are at 925 for stock 1000 and 1025 for everything else. And yes Bill (Dad) 12" RR wheel with a min. of 40 hardness on tire. STOCK production blocks, heads (no porting or polishing at all), crankshaft...2.4 (146.829) CID. or 2.0 Focus are allowed to port and polish heads ....must maintain stock stroke and stock head configuration....Want to know more on rules go to ssmidgets.com or midwestd2midgets.com

Wayne

What is it about doing away with the 12" right rear tires all together and replacing them with 10 inch left rear tires that everyone is missing,

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 5/28/15 at 7:10 PM.

5/28/15, 7:31 PM   #19
jjones752

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Jim

You help support my hypothesis. Even in the full blown National PowerI or USAC Midgets with 400 Horse power on hand the race is won by the crew that best gets that big old right rear tire to hook up. These guys have the power to overcome the traction of that tire quite easily. The Motorcycle and automotive racers can also overpower this tire but not to the extent that a National Motor can. Mini Sprint races are also won by drivers that hook up best and all the guys in the back think that they are cheating>>>Human Nature>>>Must be the motor because it can't be my driving ability (heck I have been racing for a whole year now).

Put all the cars on skinny right rear tires and it will be racing almost like back in the 70's>>>the guy that hooks up will still be doing all the winning.

Honest Dad himself

Make the right rear tire 2 inches narrower for all of the racers and you know what the same drivers will still be wining.
Is that "winning" or "whining"? Or both?
I have no problem with the rules as they are; I'd have to buy new rims and my supply of used rubber would dry up...

1 member likes this post: DAD
5/28/15, 8:07 PM   #20
DAD

Jim

You wouldn't have to change your wheels... 10" is the recommended width for right rear not 12" that Montpelier allows you to run, and 8-10" is recommended for left rear tires . Do you own a 12" wide wheel?

The largest Hoosier left rear is 80 inches and the guy you get your tires from probably also has a few of them laying around also we do.

Maybe you would have a little problem holding the zuker with only a 80" X 10" right rear?

You never Know unless you try and experimenting is the spice of life.

What is it about a couple of inches in tire size that scare people?

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midwest Division ll midge series