IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World Finals
11/5/12, 4:12 AM   #11
reeserx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
The non wingers would get crushed driving both styles.
Ha! When's the last time you seen kinser, schatz, or sammy run non-wing? Ill take the iceman on the Cush non wing all day! The future is bright on this side

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, Racingperry4
11/5/12, 6:09 AM   #12
Re: World Finals
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeserx View Post
Ha! When's the last time you seen kinser, schatz, or sammy run non-wing? Ill take the iceman on the Cush non wing all day! The future is bright on this side

Posted via Mobile Device
Nonsense.

2 members like this post: fish, sc17x
11/5/12, 10:04 AM   #13
Racingperry4

Iceman clauson darland stanborough ballou stockon Gardner clayton all day over anyone in winged the whole usac top 20 is flat out awesome and usac should do something to get TV time just wish I could see.more WoO late.mods to watch K-Rob all u see on speed is Lucas oil with bloomer o show and real deal

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: havoline42, i love dirt track racing
11/5/12, 12:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoline42 View Post
Different Strokes.....why does Speed channel wanna show Outlaws on tv when it's always single file racing? The Oval Nationals was so exciting last night!!! I wished Non-Wing sprint would get sum tv exposure cause everytime I take somebody with me to a Indiana dirt track they are amazed by what they see!! Jmo anyway but I guess I just love 3-4 wide racing instead of Choo-Choo Sprint car race with wings!!
Take a winged sprint car, and set it right next to a non wing car. Walk a class of kids out to them and have them stand by the car they like the most. Majority will be next to the winger. Do the same thing with adults. Wings attract much more attention.

Lets see here, few more reasons for you.... On wing cars you can actually read the numbers and sponsors without high def. Making it easier for sponsors to chose to sponsor a wing car over a nonwing car. When a wing car rolls over (no matter how easy) the car looks trashed. So the wrecks look to the novice fan as much more sever. Hate to say this, but the predictability of the race helps the promotion. The WoO promotes the heck out of there top 10 guys. Those guys are normally up front and winning. The occasional fan flips on the race, they will only know a hand full of names. 1 of those names will either be running up front, or having problems. That makes the race easier to follow. This is why they focus on Sammy, Kinser, Schats so much. The last thing you have is stability. Any average fan that found the race on saturday night knew atleast 2 of the names above. The TV broadcast focuses on these guys, it makes fans feel like they know something about what they are whatching. All night long they broadcast teams was promoting drivers. Not only saying there names, but giving there stats. Over and over again this guys is one of the best, he has won 400, 500, 600 features. The announcers set this up during every show. Then when a guy like Dale Blaney wins, its a big upset.

When USAC was on speed, most of the cars look similar or plain. Heck it was hard to tell the difference between the stewart cars. USAC guys are always switching cars. who knows what number they will be running when you watch. Everytime you turn on a WoO race, Steve will be in the 11, Schats will be in the 15, Sammy 1. 1 more example USAC might show more that 1 division on 1 episode. You would have the same drivers running both classes. Most of those drivers are in totally different looking cars. How do you build a following?

1 member likes this post: SprintcarZF
11/5/12, 12:59 PM   #15
Danny Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeserx View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Only those of a certain age can recall seeing the three mentioned run a sprinter without a wing. Point being is that they did.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

4 members like this post: DaveP63, fish, jim goerge, leaglen
11/5/12, 2:15 PM   #16
treecitytornado

Sammy, Steve, Haud, and many more are great with a Wing, but just as great without! I watched The King take the Wing off at the CRA Show at Eldora in 1990 and Win after not running without a Wing for several years!

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by treecitytornado; 11/5/12 at 2:17 PM.

3 members like this post: dkdorkboy, jim goerge, Puppy
11/5/12, 5:18 PM   #17
SamSr32

The argument goes both ways, put your top USAC non wing drivers in the same wing equipment as the WOOs and the will shine. I drove both and the wing cars are much easier to drive.

1 member likes this post: duel
11/5/12, 8:08 PM   #18
flatout

This whole arguement is sad. We are a niche sport that has a borderline cult following (I say that in a good way).
To drive a wingless or winged sprint car well takes a tremendous amount of talent period. Hell, even Stewart has said learning to drive the winged car was the hardest.

We should be promoting sprint car racing as a whole. For me, the sprint cars are the premier class of short track racing and over the last 20 years we have been getting beat out by the late models and e-mods/modifieds. Just take a look at the number of open shows where the lm's pay 10,000 or more vs sprintcars. Look at sprintcar car counts vs the lm's, we have steadily been losing our foothold across the midwest.

1 member likes this post: K-Dawg30
11/5/12, 8:23 PM   #19
Sprintcarfanatic

Stevie Smith at the Mopar Million at Eldora the 1st time ever without the wing finished 2nd spanking the big names of NON-WING & I'm sure you all know who won that one, Right.

11/5/12, 10:00 PM   #20
K-Dawg30

When the Indiana non wing guys put wings on with the outlaws this year at Bloomington, Kokomo, and Lawrenceburg how did they fair?

For some reason, and I dont understand it, Wing guys fair better without a wing than non wing guys do with a wing.

To the guy that asked about Sammy running without a wing...ever hear of the Chili Bowl? Yeah hes a 5 time champ there (and I dont care for him, just saying)

Bottom line SPRINT CAR RACING as a whole needs promoting. Non Wing racing in my opinion, is MUCH better racing than wing racing. However, I still have an appreciation for wing racers and what they do. Bottom line, and its sad, World Racing group is more financially stable than USAC and wing racing is more marketable. This is why you see wing racing on tv more. JMO

1 member likes this post: PJ Wright
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World Finals