IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute
5/1/16, 10:56 AM   #11
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

That race in 2009 was one that in essence should have been canceled. Alex Coonan got hurt really bad that day, and there was only half of a track to be used. Later on in the feature there was another massive accident on the backstretch where another drivers car was torn completely in half. It was postponed one day, but the track was still way way too wet for anything to have happened.
Last edited by Chris Nunn; 5/1/16 at 3:37 PM.

2 members like this post: DirtHawk92, kcarm92
5/1/16, 11:15 AM   #12
treecitytornado

Chris it wasn't Pettas. It was Alex Coonan that broke his neck.

5/1/16, 11:22 AM   #13
treecitytornado

Jim, like Mr. Nunn said that track was in no shape to race on. It was rough and had a huge burm piled up on the inside that narrowed the racing groove causing many crashes in the 2 Hour Long MSCS Main and in the SCORA Main where Alex Coonan broke his neck. Thankfully everyone learned from that and they cancelled today. Driver safety should be #1.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Leohr46
5/1/16, 11:28 AM   #14
Re: Terre Haute
markmckeon

"Ironically, the same event last year was nearly postponed as well, due to heavy rainfall across the midwest [sic] the day before."

Actually, that's coincidence, not irony. Irony would be if the event was sponsored by the Totes umbrella company, London Fog raincoats or the Intergalactic Galoshes Consortium.

Thank you for this opportunity; my work here is completed.

grammarpolice.JPG

1 member likes this post: mc/rider
5/1/16, 12:40 PM   #15
hoosier race fan

D0uche of the day award candidate.

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Dblchkrs, markmckeon, progressive22
5/1/16, 12:45 PM   #16
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Glad they made an early call and rescheduled the event! Thanks Bob Sargent and Track Enterprises for your efforts in promoting the sport so many of us love!

5/1/16, 5:12 PM   #17
jim goerge

JT I thought the track was more than half wide sure I remember the berm on the very inside but I was thinking there was plenty of room cuz MSCS did their 4 abreast salute to the fans . I also remember after Tom graded the track they had fans help run the track in and even after all the slop was graded off they still had to have the track watered lol. I forgot about SORA racing too. Guess old age is catching up, maybe I got CRS (can't remember sh#t) lol.

5/1/16, 5:47 PM   #18
kcarm92

Also had crate lt models that day too

5/1/16, 6:30 PM   #19
Rpracing1

From what I understand, driver safety and track conditions were the main determining factors of the cancellation , among others.

5/1/16, 6:46 PM   #20
Leohr46

I ran that day. The track was rough and narrow. We should never have ran that day. In the end there was a lot of equipment destroyed and a driver left with a broken neck.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute