IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Attn: Mmsa mini sprints
7/12/13, 7:27 AM   #111
Re: Attn: Mmsa mini sprints
Quantrill

Quote:
still waiting on some one to tell me how your going to check internal engine parts at the track as part of tech. so you pull the pan, see my rods are aftermarket, how do you know if there light weight after market or the stronger rods? how are you going to check for aftermarket pistons if there stock dome, just lighter?

stock bore stock stroke and ports of the head is all you can check. stock bore stock stroke rule and go race
You're right, you can't really check anything on the bottom end. All the power is being made in the top end and you're pretty limited on what can be checked there. I know other things can be checked,, CC and deck height.

We,, (MALS) have been working on getting a meeting set up for this fall with MMSA, MLS, ILSS, AMSA and maybe WIMS to work on a common set of rules.

2 members like this post: Jim Gardner, SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS
7/12/13, 7:41 AM   #112
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini27 View Post
still waiting on some one to tell me how your going to check internal engine parts at the track as part of tech. so you pull the pan, see my rods are aftermarket, how do you know if there light weight after market or the stronger rods? how are you going to check for aftermarket pistons if there stock dome, just lighter?

stock bore stock stroke and ports of the head is all you can check. stock bore stock stroke rule and go race.
OK***** They make this little thing like the doctors use when they want look down one of your holes, it's called a bore scope and believe me when I say in some holes it really hurts.

My idea tec inspection would be:

1. Draw a pill to see if you get around the world or simple bore stroke and fuel check.

2. If you loose and win the around the world treatment. here is what you would get.

3. The racer and car would be invited into an air conditioned trailer with plastic wind curtains, the car would be placed on stands.

4. The bore and stroke would be made in the usual way.

5.All 4 plugs would be removed as well as the valve cover and right side engine cover.

6. Two pistons would be turned to bottom dead center, tecs choice.

& Insert bore scope down one plug hole and observe piston crown, a stock piston will look nothing like a race piston, (see example of stock piston on page 3 of this post). Those two lines running across the piston get a lot closer to the center hole on a high compression piston, further apart on a low compression piston. Stand out like a Babby Ruth in a punch bowl to someone who looks at them all the time.

7. Put the angle viewer on the bore scope and by looking down different plug holes you can observe the valves and shape of the valves, same thing stock valves and Ferra valves just don't look the same. Tec make decision on weather more tear down is necessary.

8. Measure cam heal and toe with mike that should give you good idea about cam lift, Horsepower is made with lift and valve size.

9. Take the bore scope and insert it in the holes inside the engine side cover from this vantage point you can observe rods and crank counter weights, hard to hide carrillo h beam rods and shiny machined counter weights.

10. The tec can check the Methanol at the track, hard to hide stuff in there, but gasoline has different weight from station to station, might want to send it off. There is a lot of horsepower \one can put inside gasoline and not get caught with.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/12/13 at 9:00 AM.

7/12/13, 9:11 AM   #113
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Davis View Post
I don't have a dog in this here hunt but as for my series there are provisions just for this...add 50 lbs and a run a SP-3 or no weight and use a SP-4.... Sp-2 duro.'s @ 40-43...sp-3 @ 49-52 and a sp-4 durometer's 60-64....BIG difference in compound
MMSA has one too>

Honest Dad himself

7/12/13, 9:12 AM   #114
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Davis View Post
I don't have a dog in this here hunt but as for my series there are provisions just for this...add 50 lbs and a run a SP-3 or no weight and use a SP-4.... Sp-2 duro.'s @ 40-43...sp-3 @ 49-52 and a sp-4 durometer's 60-64....BIG difference in compound
MMSA has one too>see experimental engines in rule page. Spiker just bought it up before he spent all that money on fuel. I think he would fall under experimental engine.

Seems like everyone would rather address everything else rather than Spikers request to run with MMSA for one race with an engine just a little outside the norm!

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/12/13 at 9:19 AM.

7/12/13, 9:36 AM   #115
SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS

Ill have s bone stock engine package for my car Monday to run all tracks but Waynesfield.

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: Bradleyracing86, latemodel55
7/12/13, 9:57 AM   #116
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS View Post
Ill have s bone stock engine package for my car Monday to run all tracks but Waynesfield.

Posted via Mobile Device
With Mike's hot rod you should be able to run up front at Waynesfield Too with a stock 08 gsxr running at min weight. The other chassis are really old school design when compared to his, they work best when running a wing.

Honest Dad himself

7/12/13, 10:14 AM   #117
Bradleyracing86

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: DAD
7/12/13, 10:34 AM   #118
openwheel44

First..........I need to apologize to anyone and everyone......Particularly Mr. Bradley. I let my passion for this class override what little common sense I possess. I kinda got out of line with my comments on this thread. Everyone please except my apology.

I have been involved with Mini-sprints/Lightning Sprints since 1986. Yeah..........that long. And no.......I didn't start when I was 1 year old either unfortunately. I have an undying passion for this class. I have raced about everything else you can imagine but I always have stayed involved with this class. I see it starting to take one it's down hill slides that I have seen in years past. That doesn't need to happen. Not if we can get it under control as a collective group. Anyway......I tend to get a little defensive about our cars. Obviously, something I need to work on.

Just had a really nice phone conversation with Mr. Fortune. I appreciate the communication sir. He and I are both going to try to organize some sort of "meeting" of interested groups to try to come up with a NATIONAL set of rules. Something all parties agree on. Something we can all live with and maybe help promote this class on a nationwide basis. We have some really good people in various groups that I am sure can make this happen. We/I will try to keep everyone posted as this develops. Anyone interested please try to contact me. We have to start somewhere people.

Phil Heavelow............(913) 371-5212 or (816) 223-1009 cell. Or jmillwight@kc.rr.com
Last edited by openwheel44; 7/12/13 at 10:37 AM.

7/12/13, 10:49 AM   #119
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
You know I'm pretty old but I can remember my Dad telling me to take care of our back yard and not worry about the neighbors back yard. I think that pretty well holds true here. This all started because Srtiker Racing wanted to pull 300 miles to race with the MMSA group in a new car he had purchased that has never run without a wing before. He knew his motor was a tick out of bounds and asked for permission to race. Well we wont be racing this week but if we were he would have my blessings to do so. MMSA is run by a benevolent Dictator by the name of Bill May. I can remember several years ago at Shady Hollow raceway in Kentucky. A loan guy in a sidewinder not knowing there was a difference showed up to race, Bill asked each of the racers would it be ok for them to race with us and I guess he got an up vote because that thing raced with us.

I for one say let Striker come on down we would love to race with him. Will I be the only one?

As for MAL they kicked me off their board last winter and I don't think the money is enough to entice me out there, SOO maybe they should spend more time on their post board and build it up and stay the hell out of ours.:7 GOOD NIGHT

Honest Dad himself
I would sure like to apologize for those remarks last night Phil. It was getting late, and motors are a sore spot with me right now. I have no ill will toward you or Mark but this national rule deal won't float, the best we could hope for would be a real popular regional group (LIKE UMP ) that everyone would more or less want to emulate. Lets face it most of us run stock motors and we can run anywhere we choose or can afford to run, motor wise.

There will always be people looking for an edge and willing to spend money to achieve those means.

The thing to think about is there ain't no "motor magic". The fastest motors will always be in the car with the most modern chassis, the newest tires and shocks, and the best drivers. It is hard to beat that combination with any kind of hot rod motor.

I saw a motor builder advertising that his motors won the championship with MMSA. He didn't give that darned driver or mechanic a bit of credit. I have been around enough to know that bunch is fast in a $hit box. But the add will get a few more people to spend a little more money with him so they can try to beat that set up. And that is what racing is about.

Have you ever seen an illegal motor in a car at the back of the pack? Those are the guys that need one.

Now how about them battle bar rules?? They would prevent an awful lot of flips.

How about adding weight so a 250 pound guy can run with the 90 pound kid? And people wont be spending so much money on light chassis and parts to make up for that last "BIG MACK ATTACK".

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/12/13 at 10:57 AM.

7/12/13, 11:28 AM   #120
DAD

I'm with you Phil, Been there done that. History will repeat itself if we aren't careful. The sad thing is people don't have their eye on the ball. They want to blame the motor for everything and escalate the spending on them when really it is very seldom the engine that wins races. We spend a lot of money if we have it on (chassis shocks and tires ) with a good driver that will make you fast, to hell with the motor.

To help grow the sport perhaps we need a rookie class where a guy can come in and run with his peers. If nothing else start them in the back of the pack and let them race for a trophy amongst them selves. When the race directors feels they have progressed enough then move them up to the front of the pack he can do that also.

It would be nice if some of the more experienced racers could take a rookie under their arm and get them up to speed a little. Maybe even have a little class on set up and gearing and even driving style. Those things would help us grow the sport, Bitchen about motors won't do nothing for us.

NO COMENTS ON RIKERS REQUEST YET???
mo cars mo moneys

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Attn: Mmsa mini sprints