IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Too much racing!
4/27/09, 11:47 AM   #1
Too much racing!
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Sat night where do the fans and cars go? Anderson? Danville? Larenceburg terre haute speedrome and where else? Too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4/27/09, 11:59 AM   #2
Re: Too much racing!
aceace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
Sat night where do the fans and cars go? Anderson? Danville? Larenceburg terre haute speedrome and where else? Too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't think you could ever have too much racing in Indiana.

4/27/09, 11:59 AM   #3
racefan20

Never too much racing Duke. You just have to roll the dice and take your chances

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

4/27/09, 12:05 PM   #4
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceace View Post
i didn't think you could ever have too much racing in indiana.
well you do! Thats why your racing sprint cars for $1000 or less to win! Because there are only some many fans with only so much money to spend! Think about it? How many races are you going to this sat?

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
never too much racing duke. You just have to roll the dice and take your chances
tell me when you have seen a sold out standing room only crowd?

4/27/09, 12:32 PM   #5
bherzog513

You have a good point from a Promoter/Fan/Usac Caliber race team. The other side to that is, many locals go elsewhere when their is a USAC race at there home track. If you are not one of the best twenty sprint teams, why race. When the locals do race, they are in the way, and if one of them causes a caution everyone complains "why is he even out there?" In terms of tracks like Anderson, and the others that run lower class cars, the promoter is probly doing "charity work" but the low budget racers have a venue to race at every week.

If it wasn't for so many races, the other couple of hundred racers that arn't in the elite twenty would have to go bankrupt to compete, or stay home. Higher purses have never, in the history of racing been proven to offset the cost of racing, it usually leads to more play money for more expensive technology.
Im not saying you are wrong, I just believe their is two distinct sides to the story.

4/27/09, 3:07 PM   #6
SUPERDUKE
Banned

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thumb

1 member likes this post: 64chevy
4/27/09, 3:53 PM   #7
SteveE

The good old days. Oh what a time that was!

4/27/09, 5:35 PM   #8
bherzog513

That Was Before Mail Order Sprint Cars, Soft Tires(the track couldnt get black even though they were always rough long before the modifieds were tearing them as they are accused!), $40,000 Dollar SBC 3 Degree Motors.

And Drivers Who Were Choosen For Their Talent And Not Because Of Who Sponsored Them!

If You Subtract Races, You End Up With The IRL On Dirt! And Look How Full The Stands Are At The Worlds Greatest Race!

4/27/09, 5:37 PM   #9
terrehautian

I know where I will be this season...Either at THAT, with SCORA, or back at the Burg to enjoy another race.

4/27/09, 5:42 PM   #10
bherzog513

I've yet to see empty stands at the burg, N. Vernon(Standing room only) but thats not to say that the promoter is making a living.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Too much racing!